PDA

View Full Version : More on the Christie-Exxon issue

Norman Bernstein
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
This particular thing has significance to me, because I grew up barely a few miles from the severe pollution in Linden, NJ (the part called 'Bayway'), and my Dad and grandfather worked for the refineries back in the 30's and 40's.

Jon Stewart manages to make comedy out of this, but his summary of the events isn't primarily a comic story.... it's more a story of political corruption, and the screwing given to the state of New Jersey.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/jon-stewart-chris-christi_n_6862076.html

Paul Pless
03-13-2015, 08:00 AM
More. . .More? have i somehow missed the first 16 john smith threads on this exact subject???

Norman Bernstein
03-13-2015, 08:08 AM
More? have i somehow missed the first 16 john smith threads on this exact subject???

I didn't pay all that much attention to the John Smith threads on the subject myself.

Nonetheless, I still think Jon Stewart encapsulates an issue in a way that the general media cannot. Sure, it's partisan, it's editorial, but it sure does draw together the information needed to get perspective on an issue. Stewart doesn't always get it right; while he accurately points out that the Exxon responsibility for cleanup of the site comes from a previous court case, and not the one he settled, he failed to point out that three previous governors had litigated this case, waiting for a court decision... the $225M Christie settled for (after substantial contributions from Exxon to the RGA) was a pittance compared to the $9B liability.

I have often complained that the cost of settling these cases is such a small fraction of the actual liabilities, that it becomes a mere cost of doing business for companies like Exxon... and since corporations aren't people and don't have consciences, the profit motive insures that they'll always pollute, if it makes them more money and the penalties are negligible. This case is a prime example.

bobbys
03-13-2015, 09:42 AM
There was corruption in New Jersey?.

I'm shocked!.

I'm shocked I tell Ya!

Norman Bernstein
03-13-2015, 09:58 AM
There was corruption in New Jersey?.

I'm shocked!.

I'm shocked I tell Ya!

That's not the shocking part.

The part that SHOULD shock you is the notion that Christie, at the center of this corruption (alleged), is being spoken of as a Presidential candidate.... and supported by many people.

Would you support a corrupt politician simply on the basis that the ideology he espouses (but doesn't necessarily adhere to), is appealing to you?

John Smith
03-13-2015, 11:19 AM
At apparently great personal risk, let me add: According to last night's Daily Show, Christie has ALREADY used the bulk of this settlement to offset his budget problems.