PDA

View Full Version : SITKA 1/4 sawn

davebrown63
03-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Salty Dogs: My boatbuilding hobby has spilled over into my building musical instruments hobby (that's right, I didn't have enough headaches and junk laying around in the garage/backyard). I am looking for some quarter sawn sitka spruce, relatively knot-free either kiln dried or minimum 3 yrs aged; prefer 7 yrs. Size would be minimum length 6'x2"x4 or 6". Any ideas on this one? I live in the Bay Area, CA. I am willing to mail order if I can find something reasonable.

davebrown63
Salty Dogs: My boatbuilding hobby has spilled over into my building musical instruments hobby (that's right, I didn't have enough headaches and junk laying around in the garage/backyard). I am looking for some quarter sawn sitka spruce, relatively knot-free either kiln dried or minimum 3 yrs aged; prefer 7 yrs. Size would be minimum length 6'x2"x4 or 6". Any ideas on this one? I live in the Bay Area, CA. I am willing to mail order if I can find something reasonable.

davebrown63

Todd Bradshaw
03-08-2001, 10:27 PM
Kind of brings to mind a decked sailboat with "f"-holes - a whole new way to tune the rig. Check Flounder Bay Lumber in Anacortes, Washington (800) 228-4691 or Fred Tebb & Sons (Portland Oregon, if I remember right - could be Seattle).

Todd Bradshaw
Kind of brings to mind a decked sailboat with "f"-holes - a whole new way to tune the rig. Check Flounder Bay Lumber in Anacortes, Washington (800) 228-4691 or Fred Tebb & Sons (Portland Oregon, if I remember right - could be Seattle).

Todd Bradshaw

Ed Nye
03-09-2001, 12:43 AM
Fred Tebb & Sons is in Tacoma, WA. No personal experiences but have heard they are good to work with.
Ed

Ed Nye
Fred Tebb & Sons is in Tacoma, WA. No personal experiences but have heard they are good to work with.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

paladin
03-09-2001, 05:59 AM
Fred Tebb and sons izz good, been doing business with them for over 30 years and they will ship anywhere.

paladin
Fred Tebb and sons izz good, been doing business with them for over 30 years and they will ship anywhere.

paladin

Paul Frederiksen
03-09-2001, 09:49 AM
Try Macbeth hardwoods in Oakland first. If not there then you can have it shipped from Flounder bay boat lumber in Anacortes WA.

Paul Frederiksen
Try Macbeth hardwoods in Oakland first. If not there then you can have it shipped from Flounder bay boat lumber in Anacortes WA.

Paul Frederiksen

Bruce Hooke
03-09-2001, 10:32 AM
I would highly recommend checking out the Woodfinder website ( hhtp://www.wdfinder.com ) if you haven't already done so. I entered 'Sitka' as the search criteria, selected 'Mail Order' as well as 'Instrument Wood' and got 11 hits, one of which was in California. The California one was:

Woods Unlimited
1620 Doolittle Dr
San Leandro, CA 94577

I should hasten to add that I, of course, know nothing about Woods Unlimited other than what I saw on Wood Finder...

Bruce Hooke
I would highly recommend checking out the Woodfinder website ( hhtp://www.wdfinder.com ) if you haven't already done so. I entered 'Sitka' as the search criteria, selected 'Mail Order' as well as 'Instrument Wood' and got 11 hits, one of which was in California. The California one was:

Woods Unlimited
1620 Doolittle Dr
San Leandro, CA 94577

I should hasten to add that I, of course, know nothing about Woods Unlimited other than what I saw on Wood Finder...

Bruce Hooke

Woods Unlimited
1620 Doolittle Dr
San Leandro, CA 94577

WILLIAM E. HARRIS
03-09-2001, 09:11 PM
I was in Woods Unlimited awhile back to purchase some sitka spruce. I believe Mr. Buchanan is the owner. He will help you find what you need right there in his warehouse. He has quite a variety of exotic woods. My boat is about a mile from there in San Leandro Marina.

WILLIAM E. HARRIS
I was in Woods Unlimited awhile back to purchase some sitka spruce. I believe Mr. Buchanan is the owner. He will help you find what you need right there in his warehouse. He has quite a variety of exotic woods. My boat is about a mile from there in San Leandro Marina.

WILLIAM E. HARRIS

davebrown63
03-12-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by WILLIAM E. HARRIS:

davebrown63

davebrown63

davebrown63
03-12-2001, 02:05 PM
THANKS EVERYONE for your excellent input.

davebrown63

davebrown63