PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Leadership

Arizona Bay
03-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Better than a lot of those GOP Senators I suspect.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/2914/111554736.3e/0_fc630_c40e2d29_orig

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-10-2015, 09:18 AM
That is one of the most thought provoking pictures that I have seen in a long time

TomF
03-10-2015, 09:40 AM
100%, ACB. Fascinating

Arizona Bay
03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Highly educated children of the revolution.

TomF
03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Highly educated children of the revolution.Part of what interested me is that 4 of them obtained those degrees from American universities after the revolution. Which argues that they may harbour slightly different sets of feelings about the Great Satan than expected.

I wonder where the rest of the men in the picture were educated.

switters
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
And if the same thing were done for the younger leadership of KSA it would look very similar, just different clothes.

I wonder how many of the Iranians and and other ME leaders shared a class many years ago in some place like Lincoln Nebraska.

In line for the throne in KSA is Lewis and Clark educated, no degree, in Polysci.

TomF
03-10-2015, 10:18 AM
And if the same thing were done for the younger leadership of KSA it would look very similar, just different clothes...Kootenay School of the Arts? Klondike Snowmobile Association? Kosher Supervision of America?

switters
03-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, sorry.

TomF
03-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Korea was my next go-to. :D

Arizona Bay
03-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Part of what interested me is that 4 of them obtained those degrees from American universities after the revolution. Which argues that they may harbour slightly different sets of feelings about the Great Satan than expected.

I wonder where the rest of the men in the picture were educated.

I guess I meant, they were children at the time of the revolution. I worked with a few in the early '90's when I was living in the DC suburbs, they were attending GW university and intended to return to Iran after graduation. My impression is they were tolerant of the religious extremes, but hoped to moderate their control and help the country to progress. Though it was just these few that I interacted with, my impression was that the Iranians were a very energetic, positive people.

I didn't care for the Saudis much.

Reynard38
03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Cal Poly and MIT.
Somebody has to design the nukes.

Old Dryfoot
03-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Cal Poly and MIT.
Somebody has to design the nukes.

It's not that hard, Google Nth Country Experiment. That was the 60's too, these days it would be even easier I suspect.

skuthorp
03-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Explains this: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?189313-Iran-has-offered-to-mediate-talks-between-congressional-Republicans-and-Obama

Old Dryfoot
03-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Invalid thread, poofed or deleted maybe?

carioca1232001
03-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I guess I meant, they were children at the time of the revolution. I worked with a few in the early '90's when I was living in the DC suburbs, they were attending GW university and intended to return to Iran after graduation. My impression is they were tolerant of the religious extremes, but hoped to moderate their control and help the country to progress. Though it was just these few that I interacted with, my impression was that the Iranians were a very energetic, positive people.

I didn't care for the Saudis much.

I am approaching 70 years of age and Ive met, mixed with and befriended Iranians ever since my primary school days in Pakistan as well as during my continuing education in the UK in the mid 60s / early 70s.

One of my nephews recently married a delightful and cultured American-born Iranian woman, and of course, her immediate kin, as well as her uncles, aunts, cousins..... the lot......... have made rapport with our family on several occasions. These Iranians fled following the 1979 revolution and their kids are American-born.

As far as I recall, Iranians have always come across as low-key, rather sociable and extremely bright. For the sake of comparison,, Turks in my estimation would be somewhat loud, sociable and extremely hard working !

The gutter press (FOX news etc) would face an indefatigable task in order to alter my perceptions about the Iranian people !