PDA

View Full Version : Keel wood

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Hello everyone. I am just about to buy a boat, its 1930s gaff cutter, teak, and during the survey i found a soft spot under a tingle. peeled tingle away to reveal some rot and tar and other stuff. other than that she surveyed well.

My question is how do i fill this hole?

i'll try and post a picture. but basically it is above the lead keel, and under the garboard plank. the garboard is sound, and the soft bit is about 8 inches along by 4 inches width and by 4 inches deep.

i figured, remove the soft wood, make square, line with red lead, fill with plug, fair, caulk, paint, tingle back on.

cheers, ben

Thad
03-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Why not?

Peerie Maa
03-08-2015, 09:29 AM
OK, but I'd glue in the dutchman if you can get the keel dry enough. Be careful that the soft stuff does not run up behind the garboard. When it is fixed you should not need the tingle. If you do need the tingle it is not fixed properly. Do post a photo when you have cut out all of the rot, so we can see what we are discussing.

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks, whats a dutchman? i'm pretty certain the soft stuff does not run upwards, just in, but i will check. i am not able to get to it for a week, but will post pictures then.
thanks for quick response

Thad
03-08-2015, 09:45 AM
A dutchman is a wooden plug such as we assume you planned.

Peerie Maa
03-08-2015, 09:52 AM
A dutchman is a piece of wood let in to replace a bad bit of the parent timber. You can use them as you intend, or to make good the removal of a skin fitting in a plank, in which case it would not be more than sat a fifth of the plank in depth, or to make good a dead knot in a new structural component. Also known as a graving piece.

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 10:24 AM
fantastic thank you, that is what i planned. Is it possible to recommend a good book to help get some tips on fitting a dutchman? and maybe help me with some basic terminology so i don't have to bore everyone with questions? for instance, 'the big book of wooden boat restoration, by thomas larsson'?

breaker
03-08-2015, 11:01 AM
What exactly is a tingle ? I've never heard that word or seen it in print ? Larsson's book is full of good information.

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 11:19 AM
My understanding is that you would put a tingle on in a tide to help stop a small leak usually around the garboard, as a quick fix, however if they work, then they stay. and they are a strip of metal tacked over a seam, usually copper, or lead? I think

Peerie Maa
03-08-2015, 11:33 AM
My understanding is that you would put a tingle on in a tide to help stop a small leak usually around the garboard, as a quick fix, however if they work, then they stay. and they are a strip of metal tacked over a seam, usually copper, or lead? I think

That is correct. So does the rot extend into the rebate preventing successful caulking of the garboard seam? If yes, then the dutchman should fix the problem and make the tingle unnecessary. If not, then I can't see the need for the tingle at all.

Tingles can be used to make a temporary repair to a split clinker plank as well as fixing a seam that won't hold the caulking, usually at the hood ends in the stem or stern post.

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Yes its about 4 inches deep. i will try and post a picture

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 12:21 PM
http://s292.photobucket.com/user/bawilliams1/media/IMG_1441_zpst9ahzxv8.jpg.html

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 12:22 PM
did that work?

Peerie Maa
03-08-2015, 12:35 PM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/bawilliams1/IMG_1441_zpst9ahzxv8.jpg

That looks doable if it does not wander up behind the garboard into the bearding. Cut the recess with tapering ends so that it forms a scarf rather than but joints due to the 4 inch depth, and glue as well as screw it in place. The garboard seam looks kind of wide, suggesting over caulking or possibly the floors separating from the keel. I'd give that a good dose of eyeball down on the top of the keel.

b.a.williams
03-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Thankyou for the advice, it does look quite wide. I do know that the keel was dropped in 2005 and the bolts checked and refitted, but i am not convinced that would affect the seem between the keel wood and garboard. The bilge in that area has good access and was checked for softness, there was none. I have epoxy that i was going to use, and screw like you say.

Peerie Maa
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Thankyou for the advice, it does look quite wide. I do know that the keel was dropped in 2005 and the bolts checked and refitted, but i am not convinced that would affect the seem between the keel wood and garboard. The bilge in that area has good access and was checked for softness, there was none. I have epoxy that i was going to use, and screw like you say.

Make certain that it is dry if you use epoxy. There may be better glues.