PDA

View Full Version : Transom name plate

Gerald
08-03-2003, 06:54 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p092043d995d4cd7c6bf677d01e2375bb/fb7fbea9.jpg
My transom just lies there kind of like road kill. KATY needs to stand out a bit more than the current carved in version. When the paint was stripped off it was obvious that varnishing it was out of the question.
I have come three ideas:
1. Fill the carved portion and paint the name on top of the white paint.
2. Make a carved name plate and fasten it to the transom.
3. Machine strips and strip plank the transom so that it can be varnished.
You guys are full of ideas so thought I would ask.
Thanks
Gerald Niffenegger

Walcheren
08-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Hello. No replies yet?. Well if that was my transom I would fill the letters, fair the transom a bit more and paint it in whatever colour.Then I would take a board, finish that natural and carve, paint or stencil the name on. Then I would place that on the transom, glue, screw or whatever.

Paul Scheuer
08-03-2003, 09:41 PM
If it were me, I'd work in a little more stylish font for the lettering, using the existing cuts as the starting point. Then use a contrasting color or gold leaf in the recessed name. At this point you've got nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out, you can fill or cover.

warthog5
08-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Leave it as is and put a natural finished nameplate
overtop of what's there. Drill oversize holes in the
transom and fill with epoxy/cabisol and redrill the
nameplate mounting holes to keep any water from getting to the transom wood. Bed it with some 3M 101
or something like that.

Bruce Hooke
08-04-2003, 01:41 PM
The name, as carved, looks too small to me, and I am not real keen on the font either. If it were my boat I would probably fill the carved letters and paint over them, and then paint the name on the transom in a contrasting paint color (e.g., black), using a nice font. I can't really tell from just this photo but from what I can see this boat does not look like a "gold=platter", so I think that a carved and varnished nameboard would look overly fancy, as would a varnished transom. A carved and painted nameboard would also work, but I like the simple look of a nicely painted name. Of course this does mean that you would have to repaint the name each time you repaint the transom...

Whiffle English
08-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I would second Paul's idea. and I surely admire the person who had the guts to carve the name into the transom in the first place....maybe this would be a good way to memorialize him/her.

I think you have a good start there...but it is all a matter of taste!

Liam

Bruce Hooke
08-04-2003, 05:48 PM
The current carved name looks off-center to me, is it? If so, then trying to rework the existing letters by making them deeper and giving them more style is hopeless because the name really needs to be centered. It does occur to me that you could fill the letters and then recarve the name. If you go that route I would try to mix up some epoxy with enough low-density filler so that it will harden to about the same hardness as the wood around it. That way, if the new carving crosses the old you should not have too much trouble. Of course, before filling you need to remove the paint in the letters otherwise the filler will not stick.

Certainly, if you have a carved name you need to paint it in a contrasting color to get it to stand out.

Gerald
08-05-2003, 08:42 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p5ef13bb98dae12c88eebc7a5fd8c26a8/fb79df87.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p49b6ffeaf4ae4c208929d5175e37598f/fb79df8a.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p192b39622bc939a02dd883a19c16ac81/fbc61b90.jpg
I have added three more pictures. My camera is not top of the line and shadows are playing some real tricks with the pictures. In 1967 this 32' 7 ton yawl was designed and built by Campos in his yard in Argentina. I believe the name was carved by the yard or the original owner. The original owner later commissioned Campos to build KATY II and KATY III. This boat is not Fortune. However, I believe it was built to the same quality standards.
This forum has helped me a great deal in making my decision. It took a lot of guts to carve the name in the transom and it would be a shame to change it. I have tried to keep things original, when possible.

BTW just what do I need to change to qualify this boat for gold leaf?
Thanks
Gerald Niffenegger

Gerald
08-05-2003, 08:46 AM
BTW ..... The name is carved less than a centimeter off center.

Bruce Hooke
08-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Well, your other pictures reveal that this is quite a nice boat! I think you could get away with gold leaf if you wanted to go that direction. As I said in my original message, the first photo did not provide much to go on in terms of judging the overall boat -- I was mostly going on the way the name was carved, the fact that the transom is painted not varnished and the apparent ripples in the transom. It is too bad the carving job on the name was not better done. It really looks too shallow and too small to my eyes. However, if you want to try to preserve the original look as much as possible I would start by just trying painting the letters in a contrasting color such as black. Dark colors will tend to hide the details of the carving but it will make the letters stand out a lot more.

bobkaschak
08-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Gerald, I do a lot of carving and gold leaf work. If it were me, I would "fatten" the letters a little by carving them a bit wider (if possible).
I would also gild them with 23k gold leaf. I would then put a nice blue or black outline. You could email me directly, and I would be glad to walk you through it. I could also supply you with a small quantity of gold leaf if you dont want to buy a book of 25 sheets (appx 3"x3") (about $29 US).

rkaschak@wgtest.com
HighPeakHiker@aol.com

MJC
08-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Gerald...

I've enjoyed your posts. IMBO (in my brutal opinion), you should work on getting the transom smooth and fair, sacrificing the carved in letters. I look at the rest of the boat, and the transom and the name just aren't up to the rest of the workmanship. If this was my boat, I'd strip the transom with mahogany (it's got to be reasonably priced in Brazil), finish it bright, then maybe Katy in gilt.

Gerald
08-05-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm retired ....... I don't need another project!!!!
However, I have almost talked myself into re-skinning the transom. I have made a number of cedar strip canoes so cutting the cove and bead and laying up the transom skin is no big problem. I would think that 1/2" thick would be about right for the skin? I have enough wood laying in the scrap pile to make pcs. The one thing that is not clear to me is how to kill the end grain. Varnish it and let it show? Paint it and blend it in? Wrap it with a strip or some other method?
Gerald Niffenegger

Gary E
08-05-2003, 08:09 PM
I think your idea to skin it with 1/2 inch thick cove and bead is a good idea. For the end grain can you put a cove in it, keeping it aprox 1/2 inch inside of the hull, then on a 3/4 or 5/8 x 1/2 in strip put only the bead, then wrap the end grain with this strip and finish the outside of this strip flush with the hull. I hope you get the idea, a pic or drawing would be worth a lot more than these words..

Good luck,
G

Gerald
08-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Looking at pictures of Heron, under "Launch Time", a great looking boat launched a week of so ago. Looks like they painted the end grain. There must be some kind of a radius???
I can cut the cove and fit the strip in as suggested. It would be an option to consider.
Gerald Niffenegger