PDA

View Full Version : and, now, this message from your benevolent dictator... ah, would be dictator

Phillip Allen
02-26-2015, 10:38 PM
just a bit of comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4NRJoCNHIs

CWSmith
02-26-2015, 11:02 PM
I have always thought that drones are an appropriate tool for going after terrorists who imbed themselves into the population.

However, this makes me realize that the people running the program are amoral and a discredit to our values. We must value the lives of innocent civilians or we are not worthy of leadership.

The Bigfella
02-26-2015, 11:06 PM
You were really looking for this one, weren't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

CK 17
02-26-2015, 11:13 PM
I still think my biggest chance of getting taken out is by some ill trained 2nd amendment, open carry nut job with a NRA sanctioned high capacity clip at a Walmart, or a farmers market, or a cafe, . . . , rather than a drone.

CK 17
02-26-2015, 11:20 PM

Awesome. Thank you.

Old Dryfoot
02-26-2015, 11:27 PM

Priceless! :D :D :D

CWSmith
02-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I still think my biggest chance of getting taken out is by some ill trained 2nd amendment, open carry nut job with a NRA sanctioned high capacity clip at a Walmart, or a farmers market, or a cafe, . . . , rather than a drone.

While I share a concern for that possibility, bad drivers worry me more.

CK 17
02-26-2015, 11:56 PM
At least we make an attempt with drivers by training and licensing. And of course by requiring that all cars be registered, we have started down the slippery slope of all car being confiscated.

paulf
02-27-2015, 12:05 AM
sometimes Ian is right there where you need him...sometimes not.

The Bigfella
02-27-2015, 12:13 AM
Priceless! :D :D :D

I'll be interested to hear what Phillip thinks of it. All 3 parts.

The Bigfella
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM
sometimes Ian is right there where you need him...sometimes not.

Yeah, sorry. Its a package deal though

Glen Longino
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Oh, look, Phillip wants to be my new benevolent dictator!
No, thanks!

paulf
02-27-2015, 12:20 AM

The package is good to.

Duncan Gibbs
02-27-2015, 12:34 AM

Superb! :D:D:D

Keith Wilson
02-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Oh my! I actually started feeling sorry for the poor SOB about 3/4 of the way through. Unfortunately, public policy in the US is all too much influenced by folks who think like him.

S.V. Airlie
02-27-2015, 11:48 AM
You call that THINKING?

switters
02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
An out standing bit if misdirection starting at #3. Impressive.

Especially since both are related. Governments killing people who may or may not be terrorists, remotely with guns, move along, nothing to see here.

Making fun of private citizens who own guns and have not killed anyone, woohoo, time for a good old prog pile on.

John of Phoenix
02-27-2015, 07:27 PM
His name is Philip, too. How interesting.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 02:43 AM

Especially since both are related. Governments killing people who may or may not be terrorists, remotely with guns, move along, nothing to see here.

Making fun of private citizens who own guns and have not killed anyone, woohoo, time for a good old prog pile on.

Actually, private citizens who own guns have killed one million Americans in the last 30 years alone. Don't you give any consideration to the proposition that the price those one million dead paid for no benefit is a tad high?

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 05:08 AM

repeating... :)

PeterSibley
02-28-2015, 05:38 AM
Repeating

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Repeating

unrelated except as a deliberate distraction... this op was/is about drones used by our government to kill people in other countries...

PeterSibley
02-28-2015, 06:36 AM
It's still brilliant and right on the money. The best thing Howard ever did.

WX
02-28-2015, 06:47 AM

This time you nailed it though.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 07:05 AM
unrelated except as a deliberate distraction... this op was/is about drones used by our government to kill people in other countries...

What about the drones killing 30,000+ people in the USA every year?

skuthorp
02-28-2015, 07:26 AM
2nd amendment collateral damage, and a choice made freely evidently.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 07:34 AM
2nd amendment collateral damage, and a choice made freely evidently.

Only by some of the victims

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 08:20 AM
I see these partisans don't want to talk about Obama's bloody hands...

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Nor do some want to discuss the NRA's preferred American male

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Drykk7h-Ou8/U4N0UUD-64I/AAAAAAAAGQA/E1pBKz2xcNQ/s1600/Cyclops-Monster.png

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Okay, have it your way
I must have started yet another gun thread using my sock puppet, BF

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Okay, have it your way
I must have started yet another gun thread using my sock puppet, BF

You need to get out more often, Phillip

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2015, 08:41 AM
To the gun range and back at least!:)

hanleyclifford
02-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Okay, have it your way
I must have started yet another gun thread using my sock puppet, BF The continuous assault on US gun ownership by foreign trolls has passed from the amusing to the hysterical.:D

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Foreign Trolls! Yup, gotta be it! Sorry, my family only came here back in 1620. I guess we are still foreigners? The two pres. in my family must have been foreigners too to be president! Get off your toadstool Hanley, you look stupid sitting there!

hanleyclifford
02-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Foreign Trolls! Yup, gotta be it! Sorry, my family only came here back in 1620. I guess we are still foreigners? The two pres. in my family must have been foreigners too to be president! Get off your toadstool Hanley, you look stupid sitting there! Sorry, I forgot to mention domestic trolls.

Reynard38
02-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Nor do some want to discuss the NRA's preferred American male

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Drykk7h-Ou8/U4N0UUD-64I/AAAAAAAAGQA/E1pBKz2xcNQ/s1600/Cyclops-Monster.png

I dunno Bigfella, this guy looks a lot like the lead singer in Midnight oil. Just sayin...... :)

LeeG
02-28-2015, 09:15 AM
just a bit of comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4NRJoCNHIs

Good show, he's covered the problem well

LeeG
02-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Just curious why you want to change the subject

LeeG
02-28-2015, 09:19 AM
I read last week that sales of armed UAVs have been approved

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-cracks-open-door-to-the-export-of-armed-drones-to-allied-nations/2015/02/17/c5595988-b6b2-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
The continuous assault on US gun ownership by foreign trolls has passed from the amusing to the hysterical.:D

Dunno who these supposed trolls are?

I've never assaulted US gun ownership. I'm a gun owner myself.

I've always concentrated on the outcomes that your current policies deliver... the one million gunshot death victims over the last 30 years, for example. I'm coming up to my 60th birthday, and whilst I couldn't easily discover the gun death toll for the first 30 years of my life, I'm sure that you'll allow me a little extrapolation. 2 million unnecessary deaths during my lifetime. Wow. That's right up there with the death toll of tyrants like Pol Pot. I pissed on his grave... and I'll piss on the stupidity of your system that allows such a slaughter too. Your Founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves at the failure the 2nd Amendment has become.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Just curious why you want to change the subject

Did I change the subject? Sorry. That wasn't my intention. Such is life

hanleyclifford
02-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Dunno who these supposed trolls are?

I've never assaulted US gun ownership. I'm a gun owner myself.

I've always concentrated on the outcomes that your current policies deliver... the one million gunshot death victims over the last 30 years, for example. I'm coming up to my 60th birthday, and whilst I couldn't easily discover the gun death toll for the first 30 years of my life, I'm sure that you'll allow me a little extrapolation. 2 million unnecessary deaths during my lifetime. Wow. That's right up there with the death toll of tyrants like Pol Pot. I pissed on his grave... and I'll piss on the stupidity of your system that allows such a slaughter too. Your Founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves at the failure the 2nd Amendment has become. Correct that to "foreign pernicious trolls".

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Correct that to "foreign pernicious trolls".

Wazzup? Can't you carry an argument without extra derogatory adjectives?

Reminds me a bit of the empty drum analogy when I see statements like yours.

LeeG
02-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Did I change the subject? Sorry. That wasn't my intention. Such is life

I assumed it had something to do with armed UAV programs but who knows with Phillip, maybe one could make a parallel between our acceptance of domestic deaths due to arms with foreign deaths from expensive 15lb high explosive warheads from the sky and the culture of fear that is engendered with both.

Or maybe there will be customers right there in the Middle East for General Atomics Reaper.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Well, yes, I'm sure there's a few drones flying around not too far from here. I spend most of my time in close company with Islamic people... some with radical looking beards too. Guess what... we don't worry in the slightest about being targeted.

There was an international arms fair here last week. Guess which country is the biggest trader of weapons, btw?

LeeG
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Well, yes, I'm sure there's a few drones flying around not too far from here. I spend most of my time in close company with Islamic people... some with radical looking beards too. Guess what... we don't worry in the slightest about being targeted.

There was an international arms fair here last week. Guess which country is the biggest trader of weapons, btw?

Pretty sure in your social circles it's not much of a concern. Of course USA is the largest arms dealer. Did you attend the fair?
Setting aside Phillips catchy thread title what are your thoughts on armed uav tactics in our counterterrorism strategy? I really don't have a confident grasp on it's efficacy. I wonder how much it's an expression of our MIC and belief in technological fixes for human problems.

Tom Montgomery
02-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Is that a trick question?

LeeG
02-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Is that a trick question?

Gotta be a segue to pink pants and saucy stewardesses

Old Dryfoot
02-28-2015, 11:31 AM
I see these partisans don't want to talk about Obama's bloody hands...

Did you notice the part of the video from 2002? The part where Republicans were talking about maybe killing the right people? We should also be talking about the blood on Bush's hands too.

Just to be fair and honest that is.

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Gotta be a segue to pink pants and saucy stewardesses

The Arab guy who gave me a pink wrist band on Thursday wasn't exactly saucy... but that's a whole other discussion.

No, I didn't go to the arms fair. I've got more than enough to do without going window shopping. I do believe I'll be catching up with some of the lads over here in the fight at some stage, though.

Guns aren't a feature of society here. You don't see them.

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Did you notice the part of the video from 2002? The part where Republicans were talking about maybe killing the right people? We should also be talking about the blood on Bush's hands too.

Just to be fair and honest that is.

you already rail about the blood on Bush's hands... but you refuse to talk about Obama... that is the point! You guys have no shame at all!

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Go ahead, write something about Obama! Be my guest! Have you no shame?

LeeG
02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
you already rail about the blood on Bush's hands... but you refuse to talk about Obama... that is the point! You guys have no shame at all!

I find it helps to start with the details before jumping to trash talking presidents. GW was a sincere tool of dangerous ideologues and Obama isn't up for confronting the Pentagon but the scale of bloody hands is very different between the two.

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 01:32 PM
I find it helps to start with the details before jumping to trash talking presidents. GW was a sincere tool of dangerous ideologues and Obama isn't up for confronting the Pentagon but the scale of bloody hands is very different between the two.

800% increase in drone attacks under Obama?

Osborne Russell
02-28-2015, 02:33 PM

In the realm of your thought
who is the would-be dictator of what
if one may ask?

Old Dryfoot
02-28-2015, 02:38 PM

I have railed against nothing here on this forum with regard to the US policy of drone use.

For the record, I see little value in it what so ever unless you are certain of who is under the reticule. No matter which party is directing their use.

Now, would you care to restate?

Phillip Allen
02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
voices are getting louder and becoming defensive... whodathunk?

LeeG
02-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Yes that is true. We're even dropping missiles and bombs in Iraq, Syria, Yemen and probably a dozen other countries.

After armed UAVs there's cyber warfare, JSOC and CIA operations no one knows anything about. As Ian mentioned we're the biggest arms dealer in the world.

Is there something about the % increase that bothers you, that it happens at all, that it might be effective or counterproductive? Is there a percentage increase that you prefer? Oil by rail has increased by 5,000%, does that number mean anything?

LeeG
02-28-2015, 02:45 PM

No, you are throwing words around apparently looking for some kind of agreement but you never articulate a complete thought so you're defaulting to "aw shucks why is everybody picking on me?"

Old Dryfoot
02-28-2015, 02:55 PM

I don't know how you see that as defensive.

I've informed you of my position on drones, it's the same regardless of who is in the White House.

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2015, 03:13 PM
To him, everything is either a defensive post or or an offensive one to him. Get used to it..:)

Old Dryfoot
02-28-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm an optimist. I'd like to think that anyone can change. If I don't hold that view, then I have no hope for my own shortcomings now do I?

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2015, 03:23 PM
I used to! Now Ron has proven to me, in some cases change will never happen for some

The Bigfella
02-28-2015, 07:36 PM

You hear voices? In your head? Getting louder?

Go see your shrink.

Osborne Russell
03-01-2015, 12:03 PM
In the realm of your thought
who is the would-be dictator of what
if one may ask?

The voices are growing silent
and becoming more defensive.