PDA

View Full Version : The GOP hostage plan collapses

Norman Bernstein
02-24-2015, 04:42 PM
I expected this one:

WASHINGTON -- Almost as quickly as it came about, a plan from Senate Republican leaders to avert a shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security has hit a snag.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Tuesday the chamber would move on a full-year DHS funding bill without measures to restrict President Barack Obama's immigration policies, which have so far hindered the passage of a bill that would keep the department from shutting down on Feb. 27. The Senate will also vote on a separate bill to stop Obama's 2014 executive actions on immigration.

But the plan was quickly questioned by Democratic leaders, who said they don't want to move forward on even a clean DHS funding bill unless there are assurances from House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) that he's on board.

"We have to make sure that we get a bill to the president, not that we send a hot potato to Boehner," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said at a press conference.

Time is running out to fund DHS before the deadline, and McConnell's offer was the first Plan B from Republicans after a House-passed bill was repeatedly blocked in the Senate. The House's bill would prevent Obama from carrying out a number of his immigration policies as part of funding for DHS, something the president said he would veto. Now McConnell is aiming to split DHS funding from the immigration issue.

BrianW
02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Let me get this straight...

Senate Democrats refuse to pass a clean bill unless they get assurances from the House leader that he will support it?

Seems a bit of a stretch there. They are Senators, and don't run the House.

paulf
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
It seems that the GOP is getting a taste of their own meds.

S.V. Airlie
02-24-2015, 05:52 PM
I hope it's warfarin. That stuff tastes awful!:)

Tom Montgomery
02-24-2015, 05:53 PM
That will come as an unpleasant shock to Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX).

ljb5
02-24-2015, 06:05 PM

Senate Democrats refuse to pass a clean bill unless they get assurances from the House leader that he will support it?

Not a stretch at all.

The Senators don't run the house, but they need to be able to work together.

Checking to make sure you have support before dumping something on them is just common courtesy.

John Smith
02-24-2015, 06:47 PM

These people do talk to each other. Not much point in passing a clean bill in the senate if the house won't do the same.

What this does is force Boehner's hand. It puts him in the spotlight. The whole Homeland Security Department was a Republican idea, as I recall.

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

It works like this. Unless the bills are identical the two bills would have to be reconciled by a committee. That might give the Repubs a second bite of the apple. The Repubs might try to get even for the licking they took on ACA.

BrianW
02-24-2015, 08:48 PM
I believe that if the the democrats in the Senate fail to pass a clean bill, it will be bad for them.

George Jung
02-24-2015, 09:11 PM
I believe that if the the democrats in the Senate fail to pass a clean bill, it will be bad for them.

Nah. I do believe CC has it nailed:

It works like this. Unless the bills are identical the two bills would have to be reconciled by a committee. That might give the Repubs a second bite of the apple. The Repubs might try to get even for the licking they took on ACA.

Osborne Russell
02-24-2015, 09:13 PM

You hope, you mean.

Why wouldn't it be bad for the Republicans?

Gerarddm
02-24-2015, 10:45 PM
They.

Got.

Nuthin'.

Glen Longino
02-24-2015, 10:58 PM
Obama is forcing the Troglodytes to put or shut up, and they hate that!
I love it!:)

BETTY-B
02-25-2015, 03:27 AM
They are forcing their hand because time is running out. It's a favor to Boehner really. So they dont spend the final days wandering around like a bunch of dumb-asses on glue instead of getting something done.

They're just getting their asses handed to them and they still cant see it. Gall-dang they're thick!

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-25-2015, 10:48 AM

You may be right. The House Republicans are very good at playing the dog ate my homework game. And their constitants buy it every time.

Norman Bernstein
02-25-2015, 10:53 AM

You don't seem to be all that well attuned to national congressional politics, Brian.

The verdict on MOST bills, in terms of whether they have the necessary support or not, is known well in advance of any vote. That is the ENTIRE function of the job of the 'whip', in Congress.

The reason Democrats are balking: it could be a setup... a situation where Boehner refuses to even bring a clean bill, on DHS funding, to a vote... and THEN demands that a clean bill on immigration be brought to the Senate, demanding that Democrats do what the Republicans won't. Republicans know whether they do or do not have enough support to pass any bill. What they REALLY want is a chance to go on record with their support or opposition.

Why do you think C-SPAN doesn't scan the chamber when members make speeches? It's Kabuki theatre!

ljb5
02-25-2015, 11:20 AM

It'll be much worse for the Republicans who control both chambers. Not only have they been bragging about how good they are at governing, but they like to claim Homeland Security as their strong suit.

Reid is doing the right thing, from a strategic point of view. Having already won the battle, he's making it as easy as possible for the Republicans to accept.

No need to rub their faces in it, or put them in the embarrassing position of agreeing to accept a deal they can't sell to their caucus. Just accept the policy victory and get it done.

David G
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Republican Sturm und Drang = tempest in a teabag.

http://news.yahoo.com/homeland-security-bill-moves-senate-while-house-limbo-082613323--politics.html