genglandoh
02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Thank that was a great video.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Hard knot to crack.

Bobby of Tulsa
02-24-2015, 03:59 PM
We used to call that a hay haulers knot. Any Okie farm boy can tie that one by the time he is ten.:)

switters
02-24-2015, 07:08 PM
that was cool

WX
02-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Doesn't look like what I call the Truckers Hitch, it looks too complex.

PeterSibley
02-24-2015, 11:52 PM
The only knots I can tie in my sleep. It's a brilliant hitch and you can even do a series of them if you have sufficient line and that gets VERY tight !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hHtb_if1g

WX
02-24-2015, 11:55 PM
Excellent Peter.

Oysterhouse
02-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Ha! One of the rope bondage forums that I hang out on posted that vid about a month ago. Several of us plan to tie that knot during a line dance at a BDSM convention in April.

Ian McColgin
02-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it's been around the internet and here for nearly a year, in my limited memory. It's a great vid. Though I think that the one-handed thrown bowline is better for a dance routine.

Love the fire tower. I had a friend who spent fire seasons up one of those. His daughters passed key years that way.

PeterSibley
02-25-2015, 12:27 AM
The only knots I can tie in my sleep. It's a brilliant hitch and you can even do a series of them if you have sufficient line and that gets VERY tight !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hHtb_if1g

I should add, perfect for tying down your dinghy but be careful, you could crush it .

WX
02-25-2015, 05:48 AM
I should add, perfect for tying down your dinghy but be careful, you could crush it .

I used it though it was my variation of it.

PeterSibley
02-25-2015, 06:01 AM
as long as it is easy to undo when wet .

Paul Pless
02-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Am I the only guy who also watched 'Play it Mr. Toot'?

ccmanuals
02-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Ha! One of the rope bondage forums that I hang out on posted that vid about a month ago. Several of us plan to tie that knot during a line dance at a BDSM convention in April.

I'm not sure I want to ask what a rope bondage forum is. :)

Shang
02-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Back in the days when caving seemed to be innocent merriment we had to learn to tie all of the essential knots one-handed, with eyes closed. The motivation was that some day one might find one's self hanging by one hand in a pitch black tunnel, needing a secure knot.

Now days I'm more motivated to not go into caverns where that might happen.

(Did I mention that a couple of years ago I got to name a cave? I'll tell you about it later.)

Shang
02-25-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure I want to ask what a rope bondage forum is. :)

Go ahead and tell him, Oysterhouse. For that matter post pictures of chafed ladies! Scot probably isn't even watching.

LeeG
02-25-2015, 11:09 AM
I thought a truckers hitch was a slip knot in a line you used to loop the end through for a two to one pull tightening down loads.

genglandoh
02-25-2015, 11:24 AM
This hitch will be good to know if my normal ratchet type tie downs fail and I need a quick and simple way to tie down my sailboat to the trailer.

Shang
02-25-2015, 11:27 AM
I thought a truckers hitch was a slip knot in a line you used to loop the end through for a two to one pull tightening down loads.

We called that a "Motorcycle Hitch" because we used it to keep the bikes on the trailer. However don't use a slip knot to make the loop, it pulls tight and is hard to untie.
Instead, use an "Alpine Butterfly" knot, it's quick to tie, holds tight in three directions, and is easy to untie.
There are two ways to tie the Alpine Butterfly, this Youtube shows both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aRj8dQPRQ

Curtism
02-25-2015, 12:23 PM

That's how I learned to make them and if the knot slips, closing up the loop, it's tied backwards.

Gib Etheridge
02-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Whatever that was that they showed in the video looks crazy to me. Here's how I learned it, from a trucker.

Form a bight by giving 3 twists, no more, no less. 2 can bind, more than 3 is a waste.

Form another bight through the one just created.

Pass the end of the line through the ring or eye or cleat or whatever, then back up through the second bight and haul it tight.

Secure with half hitch and slipped half hitch If you're going to drive across Vancouver Island on logging roads secure with 2 half hitches and seize the tail with electrician's tape or duct tape in braided line or tuck the end twice in twisted line.

Gives a 2:1 advantage, never fails.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/korganwhitney/ROPE/truckpanel1large.jpg

Gib Etheridge
02-25-2015, 12:45 PM
The drawing shows only 2 initial twists, I use 3. Then it shows pulling the second bight thru the front of the initial bight in #3, then it's coming thru the back of the bight in #4, but the idea is pretty much the same. Use the text, not the drawing. It won't fail and it never binds.

WX
02-25-2015, 05:05 PM
as long as it is easy to undo when wet .

Instead of doing the double turn around the top loop I do a half hitch with the top loop around the standing part of the rope. However I'm going to try the double turn and I'll also try the slip knot version later when i wander over to the shed.

LeeG
02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
We called that a "Motorcycle Hitch" because we used it to keep the bikes on the trailer. However don't use a slip knot to make the loop, it pulls tight and is hard to untie.
Instead, use an "Alpine Butterfly" knot, it's quick to tie, holds tight in three directions, and is easy to untie.
There are two ways to tie the Alpine Butterfly, this Youtube shows both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aRj8dQPRQ

Yeah, that's the problem with it but I can do it one handed, I'll see if I can do it w/o a slip knot.