PDA

View Full Version : More Peace Mongers

Ian McColgin
02-22-2015, 12:30 PM
[IMc - Some news stories are beautiful.]

Published on Sunday, February 22, 2015, by Common Dreams

In Gesture of Solidarity, Norwegian Muslims Form 'Ring of Peace' Around Oslo Synagogue
'There are many more peace mongers than war mongers,' an organizer said.

by Nadia Prupis, staff writer

More than 1,000 Muslims in Norway joined together in sub-zero temperatures on Saturday to form a protective circle around Oslo's sole functioning synagogue as a gesture of solidarity with the city's Jewish community following last week's attacks on a synagogue in neighboring Denmark.

Chanting "No to anti-Semitism, no to Islamophobia," the group, made up of both Muslim and Jewish participants, stood in what they called a "ring of peace" around the building. The gesture comes shortly after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo magazine headquarters in Paris, which left 17 people dead, as well as the more recent shooting at a free speech event at a Copenhagen synagogue.

"There are many more peace mongers than war mongers," Zeeshan Abdullah, one of the organizers of the event, said on Saturday. "There's still hope for humanity, for peace and love, across religious differences and backgrounds."

Another organizer, Hajrah Arshad, said the gathering also shows that "Islam is about love and unity."

Ervin Kohn, one of the leaders of the country's small Jewish community, said the vigil "fills us with hope... particularly as it's a grassroots movement of young Muslims." He added, "Working against fear alone is difficult and it is good that we are so many here together."

Abdullah continued, "We want to demonstrate that Jews and Muslims do not hate each other. We do not want individuals to define what Islam is for the rest of us."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

George Jung
02-22-2015, 01:10 PM
I was just considering a tangent of that - a question, perhaps - aren't we all just tired of the never-ending wars? I can't recall many years in my life where the USA wasn't involved in a dust-up, or worse, somewhere in the world. And with the constant headlines of each, I have to wonder how much, if at all, that contributes to our own gun culture.

Just ruminating.

Peerie Maa
02-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I was just considering a tangent of that - a question, perhaps - aren't we all just tired of the never-ending wars? I can't recall many years in my life where the USA wasn't involved in a dust-up, or worse, somewhere in the world. And with the constant headlines of each, I have to wonder how much, if at all, that contributes to our own gun culture.

Just ruminating.

It's probably because you have not had a war on your own soil for three or four generations. None of your decision makers really knows what it is like.

George Jung
02-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Good point; of course, our 'decision makers' wouldn't be on the front lines, regardless. Maybe that's the cure.

Peerie Maa
02-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Good point; of course, our 'decision makers' wouldn't be on the front lines, regardless. Maybe that's the cure.

No, but they would be obliged to visit all of the damage, the field hospitals, etc on a regular basis.

PeterSibley
02-22-2015, 04:19 PM
No, but they would be obliged to visit all of the damage, the field hospitals, etc on a regular basis.

They just note the profits, not the costs .

ron ll
02-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Just ruminating.

Check out "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker. He makes a pretty good case that the world is generally more peaceful now than ever before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052REUW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1424644350&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=the+better+angels+of+our+nature

George Jung
02-22-2015, 06:02 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a 'cage battle'... think Mad Max