PDA

View Full Version : Shipmate stove feet

Thad
11-25-2000, 04:02 PM
A friend of mine somehow came through with the perfect little Shipmate wood/coal cook stove for SEA HARMONY but it doesn't have it's feet. Are there any out there? There are wedged dovetails cast into the stove bottom plate and the feet will have slots or holes so the stove can be bolted in place.

Thad
A friend of mine somehow came through with the perfect little Shipmate wood/coal cook stove for SEA HARMONY but it doesn't have it's feet. Are there any out there? There are wedged dovetails cast into the stove bottom plate and the feet will have slots or holes so the stove can be bolted in place.

Thad

norske
11-26-2000, 05:58 PM
Hi Thad! Norske here. I may have the feet your looking for--Shipmates--I will be out of town for this coming week but will let you know next Monday if I found them---they're buried somewhere in my cellar. 10/4
(I never throw any boat stuff out)

[This message has been edited by norske (edited 11-26-2000).]

norske
Hi Thad! Norske here. I may have the feet your looking for--Shipmates--I will be out of town for this coming week but will let you know next Monday if I found them---they're buried somewhere in my cellar. 10/4

norske

Thad
11-26-2000, 06:52 PM
Norske, I have some hope, Thanks.

Thad

Thad

Jeff Kelety
11-28-2000, 11:04 PM
Thad -

Take a look at the stove at this URL:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1361508&a=10153317&p=34079848

This is a Washington Stove Works Skippy. I think the Shipmate is from the same/similar casts. If so, there is a fellow, Walt Papst in Portland who may have parts for your stove. Walt can be found at:

Portland Stove Parts
503 655-3223
4785 Walnut
West Linn OR 97068

Jeff

Jeff Kelety
Thad -

This is a Washington Stove Works Skippy. I think the Shipmate is from the same/similar casts. If so, there is a fellow, Walt Papst in Portland who may have parts for your stove. Walt can be found at:

Portland Stove Parts
503 655-3223
4785 Walnut
West Linn OR 97068

Jeff

Jeff Kelety
Thad -

Portland Stove Parts
503 655-3223
4785 Walnut
West Linn OR 97068

Jeff

Thad
11-29-2000, 05:32 AM
Thanks Jeff. The Skippy legs are different, but I will talk to Walt anyway.

Thad

Thad

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-01-2000, 04:13 AM
Jeff - I have a Shipmate Skippy and indeed it looks as if the Washington Stove Works Skippy is identical. It's a good little stove. Only drawback is that since it is not firebrick lined it is very difficult to keep it in overnight. It needs a damper in the flue, otherwise it can become over-enthusiastic.

Shipmate made a range of ranges (sorry!) of which the Skippy was the smallest. The larger ones, which seem to be wholly out of production, had ovens and brick lined fireboxes, and they had different feet.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett (edited 12-01-2000).]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
Jeff - I have a Shipmate Skippy and indeed it looks as if the Washington Stove Works Skippy is identical. It's a good little stove. Only drawback is that since it is not firebrick lined it is very difficult to keep it in overnight. It needs a damper in the flue, otherwise it can become over-enthusiastic.

Shipmate made a range of ranges (sorry!) of which the Skippy was the smallest. The larger ones, which seem to be wholly out of production, had ovens and brick lined fireboxes, and they had different feet.

Andrew Craig-Bennett

Bob Cleek
12-08-2000, 02:33 PM
I have a Shipmate alcohol stove in my collection. Really an amazing hunk of metal. Cast iron and aluminum body and cast copper (yep) burners. Nothing like the alcohol burners you see today. These guys are huge and really pump out the BTU's. Easy to strip down and clean. No pin holes in the burners, or stuff like that. Frankly, it's a nice antique piece, but I'd be a little scared to use it aboard. When it spits and flares, as alcohol stoves do, it's all about Mt. Vesuvius! I spent all sorts of energy trying to find out about it, only to learn that the Richmond Ring Co., of Richmond VA (I think), who manufactured the Shipmate line of both solid and liquid fuel stoves since God was a pup, was out of business. I've never known why or what happened, since they were a great outfit. Maybe it was the buggy whip syndrome... not enough call for good cast iron stoves on the plastic boats, but they did make great kerosene and gas stainless units as well. The Washington Stove Works just went belly up, too, I hear. There is one outfit in Maine, I think, who bought the rights to the Shipmate "Little Cod" or whatever it's called... Cod something, (codpiece?) and are producing them covered in colored enamel. They look nice and are probably wildly overpriced. (What are ya gonna do these days?) I think Specter had one pictured in his Soundings column in one of the last couple of WB editions. I still think somebody who knew the business could make a decent living selling some of the old classic stoves. That old guy in Chicago that used to run Fatsco stove company was a trip. I had a friend who went back there and bought one of his "Pet" stoves from him. He had a couple of steel tube bodied small boat stoves with a couple of cooktop versions on them. He also had those cast iron ends and legs you'd stick on a 55 gallon oil drum to make a big stove for your cabin. Saw those offered in the Northern Tool catalog recently. Hadn't seen them around since the old Mariner's Catalog... time Spector did another one of those, damn it! I guess it is too easy making money pumping out WB reprint anthologies to do all the research that went into the old Mariner's Catalogs... those were the days!

Bob Cleek
I have a Shipmate alcohol stove in my collection. Really an amazing hunk of metal. Cast iron and aluminum body and cast copper (yep) burners. Nothing like the alcohol burners you see today. These guys are huge and really pump out the BTU's. Easy to strip down and clean. No pin holes in the burners, or stuff like that. Frankly, it's a nice antique piece, but I'd be a little scared to use it aboard. When it spits and flares, as alcohol stoves do, it's all about Mt. Vesuvius! I spent all sorts of energy trying to find out about it, only to learn that the Richmond Ring Co., of Richmond VA (I think), who manufactured the Shipmate line of both solid and liquid fuel stoves since God was a pup, was out of business. I've never known why or what happened, since they were a great outfit. Maybe it was the buggy whip syndrome... not enough call for good cast iron stoves on the plastic boats, but they did make great kerosene and gas stainless units as well. The Washington Stove Works just went belly up, too, I hear. There is one outfit in Maine, I think, who bought the rights to the Shipmate "Little Cod" or whatever it's called... Cod something, (codpiece?) and are producing them covered in colored enamel. They look nice and are probably wildly overpriced. (What are ya gonna do these days?) I think Specter had one pictured in his Soundings column in one of the last couple of WB editions. I still think somebody who knew the business could make a decent living selling some of the old classic stoves. That old guy in Chicago that used to run Fatsco stove company was a trip. I had a friend who went back there and bought one of his "Pet" stoves from him. He had a couple of steel tube bodied small boat stoves with a couple of cooktop versions on them. He also had those cast iron ends and legs you'd stick on a 55 gallon oil drum to make a big stove for your cabin. Saw those offered in the Northern Tool catalog recently. Hadn't seen them around since the old Mariner's Catalog... time Spector did another one of those, damn it! I guess it is too easy making money pumping out WB reprint anthologies to do all the research that went into the old Mariner's Catalogs... those were the days!

Bob Cleek

Thad
12-08-2000, 03:30 PM
Andrew, I have probably the smallest range with the oven and the firebrick lined firebox, needing the different feet. I do have options if I can't find the feet, in the way of a shelf and holddowns (have to be custom made). I have a couple of little solid fuel heaters and one Luke bulkhead model, one Shipmate stainless diesel two burner with oven, and an identically sized pressure alcohol Kenyon; but it's the little Shipmate range I understand.

Thad
Andrew, I have probably the smallest range with the oven and the firebrick lined firebox, needing the different feet. I do have options if I can't find the feet, in the way of a shelf and holddowns (have to be custom made). I have a couple of little solid fuel heaters and one Luke bulkhead model, one Shipmate stainless diesel two burner with oven, and an identically sized pressure alcohol Kenyon; but it's the little Shipmate range I understand.

Thad

Jon Agne
12-08-2000, 11:03 PM
Hi Thad,

Thanks for taking me over to see CYGNET last week. She'll be quite a boat when she's finished!

If you want to trade me your bronze ventilator, I might know where some feet are!!! Just kidding, I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see anything.

Jon

Jon Agne
Hi Thad,

Thanks for taking me over to see CYGNET last week. She'll be quite a boat when she's finished!

If you want to trade me your bronze ventilator, I might know where some feet are!!! Just kidding, I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see anything.

Jon

Jon Agne
Hi Thad,

Jon