PDA

View Full Version : Home made drill bits

PeterSibley
03-28-2006, 05:01 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this here but it is pretty easy to make your own drill bits.
I was shown how as a young bloke by a boatbuilder of much skill who was usually broke....drill bits can get expensive and boatbuilders weren't paid much.

He took a bicycle spoke ( if a larger size was needed a motorcycle spoke ) and flattened the end cold then filed it quickly into a reasonable facimile of a "spade" bit,with the tip facets sharpened at roughly 30 degrees.The hole diameter being set by the width the cutting edges .

The things work and work well! They are slower than a twist drill but don't break and are quite flexible.You can make them up to about 9" long and they are more or less free.

My drill box contains 6.

PeterSibley
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this here but it is pretty easy to make your own drill bits.
I was shown how as a young bloke by a boatbuilder of much skill who was usually broke....drill bits can get expensive and boatbuilders weren't paid much.

He took a bicycle spoke ( if a larger size was needed a motorcycle spoke ) and flattened the end cold then filed it quickly into a reasonable facimile of a "spade" bit,with the tip facets sharpened at roughly 30 degrees.The hole diameter being set by the width the cutting edges .

The things work and work well! They are slower than a twist drill but don't break and are quite flexible.You can make them up to about 9" long and they are more or less free.

My drill box contains 6.

PeterSibley

My drill box contains 6.