PDA

View Full Version : Re-subcribe offer

Hesp
01-31-2015, 10:03 AM
I was thinking it was getting near the time to re-subcribe at the end of last year so imagine my delight when I got an email on 6 Jan offering a special coupon (with its own special code) giving 23% off. I was told there was only five days left in which to use this coupon, so I clicked on it and was taken to a page offering the discounted prices. I opted for three years print and digital - $154 here in the UK. Before I committed, and just out of curiosity I opened another browser and checked the non-discounted subscription rate, which to my surprise was exactly the same - $154. I was a bit taken aback by this so didn't re-subscribe. In fact I sent a message asking about it, to which I received no reply.

Here we are nearly a month later and I'm thinking I'd better re-subscribe, odd sales techniques or not. After all I've been subscribing for maybe twenty years, and buying the magazine since issue 30. Again, out of curiosity I looked up the special offer email and clicked on the link to get a discount. This offer was supposed to have elapsed after five days, so imagine my surprise (actually none) when I was given the same offer as previously.

So what's with the hard-sell Woodenboat? I'm not buying encyclopaedias or double glazing.

John

(Still not re-subscribed).

J.Madison
01-31-2015, 10:16 AM
They did this before too, and it came up on this board. The discount is over buying the newsstand price in the states. So its completely bogus and low-brow marketing from our high brow magazine.

Nicholas Carey
02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
These sorts of offers are usually run by the fulfillment house that actually manages the subscriptions. The best thing about these offers is that the longer you delay re-subscribing, the sweeter the deal becomes?

Peter Gottlund
02-18-2015, 08:03 PM
"After all I've been subscribing for maybe twenty years"!
Really?

I just today received March/April 2015 #243. It will be worth every dime (inflation)! If these pieces of paper with ink all over didn't arrive... oh my!
I am always surprised at how many forumites are not readers of the publication. The content of learning and the experience we share, is celebrated and the spirit chronicled by WoodenBoat. I can only speak from here on the East coast of U.S. but we wooden boaters would need a major compass adjustment if we all flaked out on our subscriptions because the three year discount didn't add up.

Hesp
02-21-2015, 05:42 AM
"The best thing about these offers is that the longer you delay re-subscribing, the sweeter the deal becomes?" ....... Nicholas

So far no.

"After all I've been subscribing for maybe twenty years"!..........John

"Really?".......Peter

Something like that - maybe a bit longer, maybe less. If not directly from Woodenboat then from a distributor in the UK. In any case I was buying it regularly from a shop right back into the Eighties, and irregularly right back to issue 30. I received the latest issue yesterday too and it looks like a great issue, and yes, I think it's worth the money too (or I wouldn't have been buying it for so long!), and as I said in my original post I was going to subscribe for three years paper (I like to read it whilst sprawled out in the evening) and digital (after Woodenboat kindly let us subscribers have a few years worth free I thought I'd carry on with it).

".....we wooden boaters would need a major compass adjustment if we all flaked out on our subscriptions because the three year discount didn't add up."

Ha! I like it. It's not that the "discount" doesn't add up. What doesn't add up is that a magazine who's ethos seems to be about honesty of design and construction is using less than honest marketing techniques - "Here's a special 5 day discount for you John!!" which it turns out isn't special and isn't limited to five days. As Nicholas says, this could well be because the subscriptions are farmed out to a third party to deal with, but does WB have no say in their techniques? Perhaps WB aren't concerned, after all I received no reply to my email querying the offer, and WB haven't responded to this thread.

Maybe I will resubscribe (I don't guarantee it - the magazine is a lesser magazine because of this IMO) but for every person like me who has a long term interest in wooden boats but thinks the sales technique stinks there are ten people who aren't that committed and think it stinks enough not to bother. Admittedly this is made up for to some extent by those who are taken in by the special offer, but what a way to run a business - annoy some of the customers you've got in the hope that you can pick up some other dumber ones.

John

Still not resubscribed.