PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell/Swap?

jwaldin
12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
I notice the warning that the forums are not for buy/sell/swap but if I'm looking for some used stuff for my boat where do I go to advertise the fact. I've seen some posts on WBF that sort of skirt the issue. How blatant is appropriate or not?

jwaldin
I notice the warning that the forums are not for buy/sell/swap but if I'm looking for some used stuff for my boat where do I go to advertise the fact. I've seen some posts on WBF that sort of skirt the issue. How blatant is appropriate or not?

jwaldin

Bruce Hooke
12-04-2003, 09:42 AM
One approach that I think is generally acceptable is to say:

"I am looking for the following -- does anyone have any suggestions on sources? If someone has something themselves that fits this description and that they would be interested in selling to me or swapping with me please contact me offline at the email address in my profile."

This serves two fucntions. First off, there is a fair chance that someone will simply be able to point you towards a source, which is completely within the rules, and it puts people on notice regarding what you are looking for but keeps the actual "transaction" off line.

I think that's within the rules. What does anyone else think? It might be best to keep the list somewhat general rather than posting a detailed shopping list. If someone has a store to point you towards, they don't need all the specs to do that, and if someone has something that might fit the bill they can contact you off line for the details.

Bruce Hooke

"I am looking for the following -- does anyone have any suggestions on sources? If someone has something themselves that fits this description and that they would be interested in selling to me or swapping with me please contact me offline at the email address in my profile."

This serves two fucntions. First off, there is a fair chance that someone will simply be able to point you towards a source, which is completely within the rules, and it puts people on notice regarding what you are looking for but keeps the actual "transaction" off line.

I think that's within the rules. What does anyone else think? It might be best to keep the list somewhat general rather than posting a detailed shopping list. If someone has a store to point you towards, they don't need all the specs to do that, and if someone has something that might fit the bill they can contact you off line for the details.

Bruce Hooke

cs
12-04-2003, 09:58 AM
I would do like Bruce says. Come in here and say "Hey I need this, do you know where I can find it?" and someone will respond or even e-mail you if they have something.

If you want to advertise WB has a classified section just for this, but if you need to find one period correct block I see nothing wrong with asking here, just so long as you don't violate the spirit of the warning.

Chad

cs
I would do like Bruce says. Come in here and say "Hey I need this, do you know where I can find it?" and someone will respond or even e-mail you if they have something.

If you want to advertise WB has a classified section just for this, but if you need to find one period correct block I see nothing wrong with asking here, just so long as you don't violate the spirit of the warning.

Chad

cs

Chad

jwaldin
12-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks.
Does anyone know where I can find a used starter/generator and the regulator that goes with it for a Volvo MD1. Also a used set of the heavy duty Morse cables with the shifter. Please email me if you have any info: jwaldin@saltspring.com

jwaldin
Thanks.
Does anyone know where I can find a used starter/generator and the regulator that goes with it for a Volvo MD1. Also a used set of the heavy duty Morse cables with the shifter. Please email me if you have any info: jwaldin@saltspring.com

jwaldin
Thanks.

Doug Wood
12-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Frankly, I think there should be a sanctioned buy/sell/swap section of the WBF, as long as it was not used for commercial postings. I'm sure this has come up before, and maybe there are good reasons not to implement, but many, many online forums like this include this as a feature. Think it would be mighty useful for our little community.

Doug Wood
Frankly, I think there should be a sanctioned buy/sell/swap section of the WBF, as long as it was not used for commercial postings. I'm sure this has come up before, and maybe there are good reasons not to implement, but many, many online forums like this include this as a feature. Think it would be mighty useful for our little community.

Doug Wood

TimothyB
12-04-2003, 01:00 PM
I second this. Buy/Sell/Swap shyould be a separate forum all to itself. That way the other forums can't get 'polluted' with that traffic, AND the membership has a way to get this info out there.

I also agree that commercial posting is, even on the 'swap' board, right out. Recommending a commercial product would be ok, hawking it would not.

--T

TimothyB
I second this. Buy/Sell/Swap shyould be a separate forum all to itself. That way the other forums can't get 'polluted' with that traffic, AND the membership has a way to get this info out there.

I also agree that commercial posting is, even on the 'swap' board, right out. Recommending a commercial product would be ok, hawking it would not.

--T

TimothyB

--T

gert
12-04-2003, 03:44 PM
A non comercial private buy n sell swap on WB forum would be awsome.
We should start a petition to get one started; maybe they could dump Misc non boat related if they needed the room.

gert
We should start a petition to get one started; maybe they could dump Misc non boat related if they needed the room.

gert

Dale Genther
12-04-2003, 03:59 PM
I also would like to see a buy/sell/swap forum, but I agree with Donn's comment about WB Mag. earning revenue from their classifieds. It would seem to me that we would need to come up with some guidlines that would prevent it from competing with WB's classifieds. Some suggestions might be: 1)No boats for sale 2)Parts, accessories, etc. only. 3)Nothing over $100 4) No commercial advertising. The other problem is, who would police it? I don't know that WB would want to have one of their employees playing "Advertising Nazi"

Dale Genther
I also would like to see a buy/sell/swap forum, but I agree with Donn's comment about WB Mag. earning revenue from their classifieds. It would seem to me that we would need to come up with some guidlines that would prevent it from competing with WB's classifieds. Some suggestions might be: 1)No boats for sale 2)Parts, accessories, etc. only. 3)Nothing over $100 4) No commercial advertising. The other problem is, who would police it? I don't know that WB would want to have one of their employees playing "Advertising Nazi"

Dale Genther

Venchka
12-04-2003, 04:06 PM
It seems to me that if we are discreet and excercise restraint we have what we need right here. Include a valid email address in your profile. If someone wishes to contact you about a particular item a private email message will work.

We've all used the Resources/Product Search area for advice on anything and everything. I can't see why an email message from a vendor or buyer or trader to my personal email address concerning a particular product would cause a problem.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Venchka
It seems to me that if we are discreet and excercise restraint we have what we need right here. Include a valid email address in your profile. If someone wishes to contact you about a particular item a private email message will work.

We've all used the Resources/Product Search area for advice on anything and everything. I can't see why an email message from a vendor or buyer or trader to my personal email address concerning a particular product would cause a problem.

Venchka

JimConlin
12-05-2003, 12:43 AM
Ebay works very well, and its audience is a bit broader. There have been some restrained messages here which called attention to Ebay posts. The flames were't too awful.

JimConlin
Ebay works very well, and its audience is a bit broader. There have been some restrained messages here which called attention to Ebay posts. The flames were't too awful.

JimConlin

jwaldin
12-05-2003, 09:11 AM
I have tried ebay a few times. There are a few things I'm not comfortable with there. Won't go into details.
The WB members who post here are more like dealing with the next door neighbors than strangers. We all get to know a bit about the members each time they post and that builds trust. I wouldn't outright trust anyone selling on ebay.
I agree that this sight is OK the way it is as far as buying/selling. I haven't noticed anyone here abusing the rules.

jwaldin
I have tried ebay a few times. There are a few things I'm not comfortable with there. Won't go into details.
The WB members who post here are more like dealing with the next door neighbors than strangers. We all get to know a bit about the members each time they post and that builds trust. I wouldn't outright trust anyone selling on ebay.
I agree that this sight is OK the way it is as far as buying/selling. I haven't noticed anyone here abusing the rules.

jwaldin

Billy Bones
12-05-2003, 09:33 AM
In theory it would be great...

...but in practice it would be a nightmare. It would require 24/7 administration, it would be abused by every scammer who stumbled on the place, been bumped from ebay, etc etc.

Check out this site (http://www.astromart.com) which is similar to WBF in scope and sincerity of members, and check out the forum entitled "A day in the life of the administrator."

Still, if Scot wants to put up with all that....

Billy Bones

...but in practice it would be a nightmare. It would require 24/7 administration, it would be abused by every scammer who stumbled on the place, been bumped from ebay, etc etc.

Check out this site (http://www.astromart.com) which is similar to WBF in scope and sincerity of members, and check out the forum entitled "A day in the life of the administrator."

Billy Bones

TimothyB
12-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Well.. you could just make membership length requirements. For exsmple, you can't post to Buy/Sell/Swap unless you have been a member for 4 months.

That would eliminate lots of those issues.

--T

TimothyB
Well.. you could just make membership length requirements. For exsmple, you can't post to Buy/Sell/Swap unless you have been a member for 4 months.

--T

TimothyB

--T

jwaldin
12-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Neat site Billy.
I really like the way things are on the WBF as they are.
I'm looking for any kind of used sextant (is that some kind of oxymoron).

jwaldin
Neat site Billy.

jwaldin
Neat site Billy.

J. Dillon
12-05-2003, 10:47 PM
If the insults, threats back and and forth etc. are an indication of how the Forum polices itself I feel the "buy sell swap" would eventually be corrupted. :( Then what ? Our host might say what the hell..........

A while back I can distincly remember how one of our most valued members pleaded with us to stop the bickering. His plea went un heeded..... Now he never posts. :(

JD

J. Dillon
If the insults, threats back and and forth etc. are an indication of how the Forum polices itself I feel the "buy sell swap" would eventually be corrupted. :( Then what ? Our host might say what the hell..........

A while back I can distincly remember how one of our most valued members pleaded with us to stop the bickering. His plea went un heeded..... Now he never posts. :(

JD

J. Dillon

JD

jwaldin
12-05-2003, 11:42 PM
I've only been hanging around here for a while and I haven't noticed any bickering. Was the member Dave? Just as I started posting (too much but the guild will soon be off the lilly) people were posting that it was a shame to loss Dave.

jwaldin
I've only been hanging around here for a while and I haven't noticed any bickering. Was the member Dave? Just as I started posting (too much but the guild will soon be off the lilly) people were posting that it was a shame to loss Dave.

jwaldin

TimothyB
12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
There is almost no bickering outside of the bilge. That being said, I never read that part of the forum (Misc Non-Boat).

Well, not anymore smile.gif I wasted too much energy there for a bit and finally decided to lay off. I've been happier since.

--T

TimothyB
There is almost no bickering outside of the bilge. That being said, I never read that part of the forum (Misc Non-Boat).

Well, not anymore smile.gif I wasted too much energy there for a bit and finally decided to lay off. I've been happier since.

--T

TimothyB

--T

jwaldin
12-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Just an idea. How about if WB did say "OK here's a new Buy/Sell/Swap forum" and stipulated that commercial spam type activity etc. would not be allowed. If someone did it the people that visited the form could simply forward the offending spams etc. to WB and all they'd have to do is put a Block on that member to be be able to post. (you have to be a member to post right?)
Yachting World has a forum dedicated to buying and selling. I visit it and I haven't seen any overt spaming etc.

jwaldin
Just an idea. How about if WB did say "OK here's a new Buy/Sell/Swap forum" and stipulated that commercial spam type activity etc. would not be allowed. If someone did it the people that visited the form could simply forward the offending spams etc. to WB and all they'd have to do is put a Block on that member to be be able to post. (you have to be a member to post right?)
Yachting World has a forum dedicated to buying and selling. I visit it and I haven't seen any overt spaming etc.

jwaldin

Venchka
02-10-2004, 09:47 AM
BUMP!

If anyone out there has a real interest in purchasing a Joel White Nutshell Pram, give me a shout via email. Click the email envelope & I'll share all the details.

Venchka
BUMP!

If anyone out there has a real interest in purchasing a Joel White Nutshell Pram, give me a shout via email. Click the email envelope & I'll share all the details.

Venchka
BUMP!

Sailman58
02-10-2004, 01:15 PM
How about the ads in Messing About in Boats?

Sailman58

Sailman58

Venchka
02-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Clarification. The boats (2) are currently under construction. Very early construction.

Venchka
Clarification. The boats (2) are currently under construction. Very early construction.

Venchka