View Full Version : Eff One 2015

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Sneak preview.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117502

xflow7
01-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Lots of interesting stories this year:

- Can Mercedes maintain their domination?
- Vettel in a Ferrari. How will he get on in a non-Newey car?
- Can Ferrari pick up the pieces from 2014? Will all the turmoil of last year have compromised their 2015 campaign?
- Alonso goes back to McLaren. Can he and Ron Dennis put the 2007 meltdown behind them?
- Honda returns. How long will it take them to get competitive. Is the McLaren of today up to the job?
- Can Williams build on their 2014 resurgence?
- How big a step has Renault made? Will it put Red Bull in contention for outright wins without Mercedes screwing up?

My hunch is that Williams and Red Bull will have a good battle for 2nd fastest, with Mercedes still quite far out front.

I expect it will take McLaren-Honda a little while to get themselves sorted out, but that they will be strong towards the end of the year.

Hard to know about Ferrari. Can't imagine the atmosphere in the team is very good. Raikkonen doesn't seem to have the spark these days and I'm not sure how Vettel will manage. He's got a huge amount of pressure to perform after having been comprehensively beaten by Ricciardo last year. In a way, he has to completely destroy Kimi to maintain his status. If he loses out to Kimi, everyone says, "Wow, Vettel just got crushed by the guy who got crushed by Alonso." If he beats Kimi, but it's close, all he's done is barely beat the guy who got crushed by Alonso. I think there's a risk that Vettel overdrives trying to salvage things and ends up underperforming as a result.

First test at Jerez starting Sunday.

Bring it!

Dave

Paul Pless
01-30-2015, 07:23 AM
"Wow, Vettel just got crushed by the guy who got crushed by Alonso." LOL iii

Paul Pless
01-30-2015, 07:28 AM
sugarbritches and i agreed to disconnect the cable a few months ago:

so far I have missed the the supermodifieds at the copper world classic - there are few ballsier race car types and when you put them superfast and superflat one mile bullring its frikking crazy; the 24 hours of daytona, pre season nascar, the college and nfl playoffs; and its shaping up that I will miss virtually every motorsport that I typically watch this year. . .

meanwhile my wife watches all her normal programmig via netflix, hulu, and amazon

wtf?!

xflow7
01-30-2015, 08:19 PM
That sucks. The main reason I keep cable is for motorsports.

Someday I definitely want to go to a sprint-car race. Supermods would be cool too.

Racer magazine has a nice gallery of the official launch photos here:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/113036-f1-2015-launch-gallery#!f1

bahma
01-30-2015, 08:26 PM
The Ferrari looks beautiful too.....it will be a great year for F1.....first rate drivers......Great cars, even if they are still quiet......Honda's new engine will be competitive......

Gerarddm
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Beautiful? I respectfully disagree. In fact, they all look like kissing cousins of each other, and rather unattractive to boot.

bahma
01-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....in any event the removal of the hook nose front end is a great improvement......unfortunately, any shape developed by computer and refined by wind tunnel is likely to be essentially very similar.
I see every surface as a dynamic entity whose prime function is speed......hence, IMO.. beautiful.

Unlike the everyday

Gerarddm
01-31-2015, 01:49 AM
I majored in Industrial Design in college, and for me there have been better looking F1 cars in the past.

moTthediesel
01-31-2015, 02:04 AM
I majored in Industrial Design in college, and for me there have been better looking F1 cars in the past.

I agree, but then I am an old fart --

One example, the Ferrari 1.5L 156 "Shark Nose" -- here being tossed about by my first driver hero, Phil Hill.

http://cdn05.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Hill-Phil_1961_Holland_02_BC.jpg

The Bigfella
01-31-2015, 02:25 AM
Once I figure out how to change the channels on this damn "home entertainment" system here... with its 4 remotes, etc... I'll see what sport I can get. I can drive it onto BBC News at present... there has to be more to the world than that. At least they showed the new McLaren yesterday. Button doesn't think they'll be very competitive to kick off.

The Bahrain GP is the weekend that I'm due to fly home to Oz - either at the end of this contract, or for a holiday. I might have to reschedule that flight :D. The local derby, in Abu Dhabi, is a day trip... but at the end of the season.

Paul Pless
01-31-2015, 02:46 AM
They are better looking than they have been in a long time, a little cleaner, you can see that they are a little wasp like - very tidy and small packages. I like their looks. Pity about the sound. . .

Paul Pless
01-31-2015, 02:51 AM
That sucks. The main reason I keep cable is for motorsports.

Someday I definitely want to go to a sprint-car race. Supermods would be cool too.There's winged and wingless sprint racing in Vermont. Oswego (the capitol of supermod racing) can't be more than a four hour drive from you.. .

xflow7
01-31-2015, 07:20 AM
There's winged and wingless sprint racing in Vermont. Oswego (the capitol of supermod racing) can't be more than a four hour drive from you.. .

Yeah, I just have to get my act together to find it and go. I used to live in Binghamton, which is less than 2 hours from Oswego and didn't manage to make it while there, which is stupid. I got to the Glen and to Lime Rock any number of times for events, but never to the short tracks.

Paul Pless
01-31-2015, 07:26 AM
i'd love to have seen them at bristol, with or without the dirt

xflow7
01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
Really good Q&A with James Allison, Technical Director at Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OiowpKbDDw

Also, Red Bull left their build to the absolute last minute in order to maximize design/development time. Word is their nosecone then failed the mandatory crash test on Friday and they have rushed a new one to test today. With their resources, it is unlikely they won't get it to pass, but if they don't they will not be allowed to run the new car at the test tomorrow.

Dave

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Today's testing - from http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/31059101

1) Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:22.620 60 laps
2) Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:22.777 73 laps
3) Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:23.106 157 laps
4) Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:23.338 35 laps
5) Valtteri Bottas (Williams) 1:23.906 73 laps
6) Carlos Sainz Jr (Toro Rosso) 1:25.327 46 laps
7) Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 1:40.738 6 laps

Check out Adrian Newey's new project with Ben Ainslie

The Bigfella
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Well, if the ticket promises hold up... I'm set for both Bahrain (Apr 19) and Abu Dhabi (Nov 29), at least. I'd be on my own (no freebies :D) for the MotoGP in Qatar at the end of March... not that I'd call that a deal breaker. I'm told its better to watch Qatar on the tv anyhow.... as the track isn't great for spectators.

Meanwhile... Riciardo has smashed the lap record that counts... the one set in a control car - the Suzuki Liana at the Top Gear track. Oh to get a crack at that.....

Gerarddm
02-09-2015, 12:22 PM
I read somewhere that Caterham cratered and Marussia is in receivership?

The Bigfella
02-09-2015, 12:25 PM
There was a deal on Marussia, I believe. Renamed now.

xflow7
02-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Always hard with testing, but my impressions are generally as they were before the test. Ferrari may be somewhat better off than last year, but I still think they're going to be outclassed by Merc, Williams, and Red Bull.

Marussia has allegedly gotten a lifeline, but their plan was to run the 2015 season with the 2014 car under a waiver on the new nose regulations that required the agreement of most of the teams. Force India vetoed it, though, so it's now again unclear whether/how Marussia will race. They can miss up to 3 events and still be classified in the championship, so one possibility is that they'll show up for the first time at the fourth race having cobbled together a new nose.

But word is Force India themselves are question marks for the season, having skipped the first test altogether, though they maintain they are on track to make the Barcelona test.

All is not well with the finances of F1 at the moment. Too much of the revenue going into the pockets of the commercial rights holders, and too much of the remainder plowed back into the top teams in the form of legacy and loyalty payments.

Dave

John Meachen
02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
This wouldn't be the first year that phenomenal test times don't translate to great race speed.There can be a number of reasons for this to occur and they seldom relate to other teams making huge strides.

Paul Pless
02-09-2015, 03:04 PM
who were the sandbaggers last year??? :D

xflow7
02-09-2015, 04:42 PM
This wouldn't be the first year that phenomenal test times don't translate to great race speed.There can be a number of reasons for this to occur and they seldom relate to other teams making huge strides.

Prost, is that you? :)