PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment and job growth

John Smith
01-28-2015, 07:36 AM
We've seen both the 'cheers' for unemployment number dropping, and the 'jeers' for the fact that so many jobs are such low wage.

While I, too, wish there were more better paying jobs, I think we have to be careful what we compare to. As with our recovery in general, we can compare it to where we would like to be or to where other countries are.

The brutal truth is middle/working class incomes have been pretty stagnant for decades. So the question becomes, IMO, are the jobs people are getting today much different than the jobs they lost?

My guess is most people agree that someone who works ought to see some gain, and ought not be within an income level that qualifies him for government help.

There are a few fast food places that pay decently. I'm told there was a piece on the other day about a restaurant who is stopping gratuities and paying better. Hopefully this will start a trend.

Minimum wage needs to be raised. There's no reason why the tax payers should subsidize someone's employees, especially when that someone is making more money than ever.

We've all seen the vulture chart http://thebigpicturereport.com/2012/03/22/the-vulture-chart/

How on earth do we change this without raising the minimum wage?