PDA

View Full Version : Virtual rowing

Shang
01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Lifted over from rbgarr’s earlier post:

A couple of years ago a few WB Forum people entered what the Concept2 (rowing machine and equipment) company calls their Virtual Team Challenge. It starts on January 1st and runs for a month.

I will set up the team under Woodenboat Crew on the C2 challenge website, and anyone who wants to join in is welcome. It will require registering with Concept2 for those who aren't 'members' and you can do it even if you don't have one of the Concept2 machines. It's all done on the honor system: http://log.concept2.com/challenge/events/vtc.asp

Shang has mentioned elsewhere that he's going to 'row across the Atlantic'. I wonder how many meters that is? Depends on the course, doesn't it?

(Cross-posted to People and Places)

rbgarr did indeed set up a Woodenboat Crew, and threes of us have been rowing since Jan. 1. Not doing too badly, although I find that I am the anchor man. But I had a question for rbgarr:

by Shang
Does the Concept 2 virtual rowing site provide any way for members to correspond with one another, or shall we try to stay in touch on the Woodenboat Bilge site?

Anyway, I've been going at it regularly, but watching the others vanish into the virtual distance, until now. I bought a new rowing machine, not a C2, but better than my old clunker. The new one tracks strokes and distance, and I've discovered that I've been logging my distance incorrectly--I've actually been rowing three times further (in meters) than I've been logging!
I suppose that I could go in and edit to correct this, but since we're nearing the end of the present challenge I'll just let it go, and make sure that I'm logging correctly for the next team run.

I’m going to post this in the Bilge, maybe we can pick up a few more virtually rowers.

Shang
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Yes, it's difficult to schedule time, and it is not a particularly engaging program--like jogging, but you never get anywhere. I've dragged my new machine into the living room so I can watch the two or three TV programs worth the watching while paddling my way across the Virtual Sea.
But even if I multiply my score by three to correct my earlier miscalculation you guys are still ahead of me.
Good for you! I'll catch you next time.

Figment
01-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Aw man, I've totally forgotten to log a bunch of rows! I'll put a reminder on my desktop or something.

Shang
01-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Valentine Challenge

February 9–14

Join in the Valentine Challenge fun!
The Details

The goal is to row and/or ski a total of 14,000 meters between February 9 and midnight on Valentine's Day, February 14.
This is an individual challenge. (You do not need to belong to a team to participate.)
Meters must be entered online.
Indoor rower and SkiErg meters only (no on water/on snow meters please). You can combine meters from each machine to reach 14,000 meters.

Shang
01-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Oh great!
My birthday and Our wedding anniversary.
haul up the anchor.

carlg
01-27-2015, 08:17 PM
I haven't been able to find the Woodenboat Crew. The old Woodenboat Forum Crew seems to be the one that everyone is logging meters on. That's the one I've been using for years.

Shang
01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I haven't been able to find the Woodenboat Crew. The old Woodenboat Forum Crew seems to be the one that everyone is logging meters on. That's the one I've been using for years.

I prowled through the listing of team standings--I found Woodenboat Crew, but not Woodenboat Forum Crew. However it is possible that I missed it, there are 378 teams listed.

http://log.concept2.com/team/teamStandings.asp?re_index=57&group=team.

If we recruit more members, can we require that they must be way slower than I am...?

Shang
01-28-2015, 11:34 AM
...Also, I note that the Valentine Challenge is an individual, rather than team, competition--good, that will give me a testing ground on which to be sure that I'm recording my distance and pace correctly, and to train for the next team event.

Shang
01-29-2015, 09:08 PM
I'll check to see how the Club thing works.

My new rowing machine makes a dramatic difference--seventeen hundred meters this evening.

There will be a slight pause in my rowing tomorrow, I expect to have to call the fire department to deal with the candles on my birthday cake.