PDA

View Full Version : Another "What could possibly go wrong?" gun event.

Shang
01-26-2015, 08:54 AM
RICHLAND TOWNSHIP, Pa. —

A man was arrested and is facing charges after two people were injured when his gun discharged inside the Richland Township Giant Eagle Friday, police said.

According to the Northern Regional police chief, Gerry Good, 58, of Gibsonia, was wearing a fanny pack when he leaned over inside the store and his gun fell out and discharged around 2:45 p.m.

The bullet hit the floor and pieces of what appeared to be ceramic tile from the floor hit two people, who were later identified as Ruth Preisser and Thomas Hornyak, grazing their legs, the criminal complaint stated.

Police said Preisser and Hornyak were wounded superficially and quickly treated on the scene.

Good was arrested and charged with two simple assault charges and two reckless assault charges.

No one else was injured, Giant Eagle spokesman Dick Roberts told Channel 11’s news exchange partners at TribLIVE.

“We are relieved to hear that the customers sustained only minor injuries, received first aid in the store and were able to complete their shopping before leaving the store,” Roberts told TribLIVE in a prepared statement.

TribLIVE reported that when officers arrived, Good immediately told them that it was his gun that fell out of a fanny pack and accidentally went off.

The gun is registered to Good, who has a permit to carry the weapon.

“Apparently when the gun fell out of the bag and onto the floor, it fell in such a way that the barrel hit the floor and somehow the gun went off, leaving the casing and round in the barrel of the gun,” the criminal complaint stated.

elf
01-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Fearful people do stupid things.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Fearful people do stupid things. No - stupid people do fearful things.

Ian McColgin
01-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Prima fascie evidence of negligence if the weapon falls out when the gun fancier leans over. And it's not like burying a girlie gun in a fanny pack is much in the way of self-defense if a mugger comes up behind you at the ATM.

[I realize that we don't know what sort of weapon fell out. Maybe it was a manly pistol.]

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:21 AM
His permit should be revoked on grounds of incompetence.

Shang
01-26-2015, 09:22 AM
"... The gun is registered to Good, who has a permit to carry the weapon..."

Why shor! Mr. Good was jest exercizing hiz gawd-given right to spray retail stores wiff bullets when ever he feels fearful!

Figment
01-26-2015, 09:23 AM
The round remained in the barrel of the gun? Is that as extraordinarily uncommon as I think it is?

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:28 AM
The round remained in the barrel of the gun? Is that as extraordinarily uncommon as I think it is? Sounds a bit fishy.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Why shor! Mr. Good was jest exercizing hiz gawd-given right to spray retail stores wiff bullets when ever he feels fearful! I sho nuff didn't realize you was a Professor of English!:D

Flying Orca
01-26-2015, 09:43 AM
The round remained in the barrel of the gun? Is that as extraordinarily uncommon as I think it is?

Sounds to me like a revolver with a round under the hammer. If it hit the ground barrel-first and the impact caused the hammer to set off the primer, the bullet may have been prevented from leaving the barrel by the floor itself. The case would remain in the cylinder.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:51 AM
What a stupid way to carry a firearm, and with a round chambered under the hammer, already. I used to carry an automatic in the middle of my chest bandolier just above the parachute quick release - but not with a round in the chamber.

Flying Orca
01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
People are stupid. That includes people who carry guns.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 09:54 AM
People are stupid. That includes people who carry guns. Only Republicans are allowed to make stupid general statements like that.:D

Flying Orca
01-26-2015, 09:59 AM
The problem with Republicans isn't their elitism, per se - it's that they base it upon a stupid criterion like money rather than intelligence. :D

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 10:16 AM
The problem with Republicans isn't their elitism, per se - it's that they base it upon a stupid criterion like money rather than intelligence. :D Correct. It's the Democrats who have the elitism problem - the Republicans are just greedy.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Now I just made a couple of generalizations....:p

Phillip Allen
01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
I know of a woman who forgot to set the parking brake on her car... incompetence and proof that women should not be trusted with cars... :)

Phillip Allen
01-26-2015, 10:36 AM

Why shor! Mr. Good was jest exercizing hiz gawd-given right to spray retail stores wiff bullets when ever he feels fearful!

gawd giveth and the democrat(ics) taketh away

Shang
01-26-2015, 10:50 AM
I sho nuff didn't realize you was a Professor of English!:D

Ah speaks Missouri az uh secon' language.

English: "I love you."
French: "Je t'aime."
German: "Ich libe dich."
Italian: "Ti amo."
Missouri: "Git in thu truck!"

Shang
01-26-2015, 11:00 AM
gawd giveth and the democrat(ics) taketh away

Hey! Are yo questionin' Mr. Good's Gawd-given right to carry any gun he pleases, anywhere he pleases? Don' you furget, that when Jezus brung them Second Amendment rights down frum thet there mountain he didnt mention anythin' about firearms training, nor about no rights for peeple down-range!
Are yo' tryin' to take Mr. Good's gun out of his sweaty live hands?

PhaseLockedLoop
01-26-2015, 11:31 AM

It could only happen if there were no powder in the cartridge. I'd love to know what kind of guns these are that go off when dropped.

The story appears to be bull$hit, but you never know.

John Smith
01-26-2015, 11:57 AM
His permit should be revoked on grounds of incompetence.

Isn't that like revoking a driver's license? People drive without it.

John Smith
01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
It could only happen if there were no powder in the cartridge. I'd love to know what kind of guns these are that go off when dropped.

The story appears to be bull$hit, but you never know.

I lost a friend in high school because he dropped a gun and it went off.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Sounds a bit fishy.

sounds so but it's possible if not probable

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
I know of a woman who forgot to set the parking brake on her car... incompetence and proof that women should not be trusted with cars... :) OOOH, Phillip - we could have such a cool thread on women drivers - maybe even break it down into Republicans and Democrettes!:)

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Isn't that like revoking a driver's license? People drive without it. True, but after 5 or 6 offenses the cops can lock you up.

hanleyclifford
01-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Hey! Are yo questionin' Mr. Good's Gawd-given right to carry any gun he pleases, anywhere he pleases? Don' you furget, that when Jezus brung them Second Amendment rights down frum thet there mountain he didnt mention anythin' about firearms training, nor about no rights for peeple down-range!
Are yo' tryin' to take Mr. Good's gun out of his sweaty live hands? Uh, Professor try not to party so much with your hippie students.:D

David G
01-26-2015, 02:32 PM
For all the discussions here in the Bilge regarding guns... I still don't see what the problem is with treating gun use any differently than we treat car use. Testing before licensing. Insurance required. Escalating legal consequences for non-compliance. Beyond the cultural/political/huge money spent on avoiding such an approach... why not?? Even the latter can be overcome. We managed it - thru what seems like a very similar cycle - with cigarettes...

Shang
01-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Uh, Professor try not to party so much with your hippie students.:D

They aren't. I was.

Shang
01-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Knew a guy who carried a Ruger Single-six in the side pocket of his car. Opened the door too quickly one day and the gun fell, hammer down, on the pavement, and shot a hole through his car door.
Kinda startled his wife and infant son who were in the car at the time.

PhaseLockedLoop
01-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Yeah. When I was in high school we had the tragic case of Hemingway, who managed to
accidentally blow his head off whilst cleaning his shotgun.

I am so sure....

John Smith
01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
For all the discussions here in the Bilge regarding guns... I still don't see what the problem is with treating gun use any differently than we treat car use. Testing before licensing. Insurance required. Escalating legal consequences for non-compliance. Beyond the cultural/political/huge money spent on avoiding such an approach... why not?? Even the latter can be overcome. We managed it - thru what seems like a very similar cycle - with cigarettes...

There is no 2nd Amendment for cars. That's the difference.