PDA

View Full Version : What does it take for the Coast Guard to lock channel 16...

MiddleAgesMan
01-25-2015, 09:55 PM
...for emergency radio traffic only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4

hanleyclifford
01-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Usually the CG wants to go to 22A.

Captain Intrepid
01-26-2015, 01:47 AM
It's always chilling listening to radio traffic from mayday calls. CG radio operators have a remarkably high suicide rate, at least in Canada. It's not uncommon for them to be the last point of communication with the dead.

On a professional note, I've always found USCG radio operators to be unnecessarily wordy on the radio. Brevity and clarity are my goals when it comes to emergency communication.

Hwyl
01-26-2015, 06:00 AM
That CG operator did well. Nowadays one hears some really incompetent ones.

slug
01-26-2015, 06:54 AM
...for emergency radio traffic only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4

You cant lock down 16. A distress is an All Ships call. All mariners in the area are listening and standing by 16 or responding to the vessel in distress or rescue authorities seeking assistance, The rule is all traffic not associated with the event shall maintain radio watch and radio silence. If you shift off 16 other vessels will not be able to monitor the event and come to the assistance of the coastGaurd helicopter when it gets sucked into the sea.

Sailor
01-26-2015, 07:37 AM
I have always found Canadian CG operators to be brief in their transmissions as well. US operators are wordy and bossy. They tell you where to sail your ship whereas the Canadian ones will simply ask where you're going and what your plans are. As an officer on the bridge, I won't usually listen to the US operators if they tell me where to navigate. I might take it into consideration but they are not my captain and they don't tell me where I am to navigate IOT keep my ship safe.

Curtism
01-26-2015, 07:53 AM
There's some chilling audio and pics on that video. I remember that morning well as I was home, laid off, watching the local news reports all morning.

My mother was on her way to work headed for the southbound span, the one that collapsed, and had talked a toll booth attendant into letting her do a U-turn to get some gas. During the time it took her to fuel up and get back to the toll booth, the accident had occurred and the bridge was closed to vehicle traffic.

Sorry for the drift, 35 years later and I still get the willies whenever I recall the event.

MiddleAgesMan
01-26-2015, 07:59 AM
My faulty recollection was it happened at night. I suspect I have falsely conflated it with the similar accident in Brunswick Georgia a few years later.

In both cases the old bridges were replaced by bridges using the new technology of cable stays. Come to think of it every new bridge I can think of has been a cable-stayed design.

Curtism
01-26-2015, 08:13 AM
You may be thinking of the collision between the USCG Blackthorn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Blackthorn_%28WLB-391%29) and the Capricorn, which happened in January (at night) that same year, and in the same channel.
Speaking of chilling events . . .