PDA

View Full Version : GOP clown car runs into ditch

David G
01-25-2015, 02:58 AM
Or... as the author calls it... a Clown Van --

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/gop-clown-car-runs-into-ditch-114565.html

DES MOINES — The Republican Party’s clown car has become a clown van.
With nearly two dozen possible presidential candidates, the GOP is having a seriousness deficit. There can’t possibly be that many people who are real candidates.

But they can ride in the clown car from event to event, and nobody can stop them.

At the Freedom Summit here Saturday, two dozen speakers ground through 10 hours of speeches in front of more than 1,000 far-right Republicans.

As it turned out, clown car candidates are not necessarily funny. Since they have nothing to lose, they can attack their fellow Republicans with abandon.

Usually they attack from the right, which can force the eventual nominee farther to the right than the nominee wants to go. This risks losing moderate voters in the general election.
This was not a concern at the Freedom Summit, however. The farther to the right, the better.

It was a classic cattle call, with speaker after speaker pandering to the crowd. Sometimes, however, pandering was not enough.

In the circus, the worse thing clowns lob is confetti. In the political circus, the clowns lob grenades. Verbal, to be sure, but they still can be deadly.

Bill O’Brien, a member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives, told the crowd: “I don’t know what is worse, nominating someone because he has been nominated once before (i.e., Mitt Romney) or someone who endorses Common Core (i.e., Jeb Bush). Are we going to nominate one of them?”

The audience bellowed: “No!!!"

“The media tells us to nominate a moderate, and moderates lose because they have no courage of their convictions or have no convictions,” O’Brien said.Neither Bush nor Romney bothered to show up at the summit, so they missed a day of attacks.

Donald Trump, who definitely rides in the clown car — or maybe the clown limo — strongly indicated he might actually run for president. What mattered, however, was his grenades.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/gop-clown-car-runs-into-ditch-114565.html#ixzz3PolOeg8x

Peerie Maa
01-25-2015, 06:21 AM
It seems that you need honest liars. Lie to the numpties to get elected, then turn honest and govern in the best interest of society.

John Smith
01-25-2015, 08:21 AM
What I don't understand, and my old Republican friend can't explain, is why voters put up with the 'etch a sketch" thing.

I had asked him about McCain, and then about Romney, which McCain or Romney would he be voting for?

It is one thing for a candidate to be given new data and, as an adult, change his opinion on something, but it is another thing to claim different opinions based upon his audience at the moment, or having opinion that help in the primary and a different set of opinions to help in the general.

It appears to me people like to fill in their own blanks and believe the candidate is telling "them" what they want to here, but is telling me what he really believes.

Personally, if a candidate denies Evolution and Climate Change, I don't see how anyone votes for him. I don't see how any woman votes for any candidate who does not believe in and support equal pay and/or her right to choose.

Keith Wilson
01-25-2015, 09:01 AM
"The media tells us to nominate a moderate, and moderates lose because they have no courage of their convictions or have no convictions,” O’Brien said. In the case of current Republican 'moderates' (by current standards) that may be the case, Mr. Romney being a shining example. But extremists also lose because too few people agree with them, some are frighted by them, and the rest think they're nuts. (See Goldwater, Barry). As an example of a moderate with the courage of his convictions, I give you the current president.

elf
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
There are, in my nation, many women who just want to find a man to take care of them. They have no impulse to build careers, to become something, to be serious or thoughtful about anything except maybe whether to call out for pizza or go to McDonald's for the next meal. Their lives' attention is consumed by a desire to be pretty, to do their hair and nails, to be sexy, to be as thin as the starlets in the magazines at the checkout counter. They got through high school with Cs and that was plenty good enough, since their more important goal was to be seen in the company of the captain of the football team and to be the queen of the prom.

Their number is legion. Nothing penetrates their shallowness because there is nothing there.

And if they encounter (or worse are raised with) any religion, they are told and believe that that's the way life is.

hanleyclifford
01-25-2015, 10:04 AM
There are, in my nation, many women who just want to find a man to take care of them. They have no impulse to build careers, to become something, to be serious or thoughtful about anything except maybe whether to call out for pizza or go to McDonald's for the next meal. Their lives' attention is consumed by a desire to be pretty, to do their hair and nails, to be sexy, to be as thin as the starlets in the magazines at the checkout counter. They got through high school with Cs and that was plenty good enough, since their more important goal was to be seen in the company of the captain of the football team and to be the queen of the prom.

Their number is legion. Nothing penetrates their shallowness because there is nothing there.

And if they encounter (or worse are raised with) any religion, they are told and believe that that's the way life is. If by such motivation they find love and purpose in Jehovah's arrangement, how can you be so judgmental?

Jim Mahan
01-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Donald Trump, who definitely rides in the clown car — or maybe the clown limo — strongly indicated he might actually run for president.

There can't really be anyone with better sense than a watermelon who thinks DT would actually run a whole presidential campaign. He's in the same mold as Sarah Palin; just face time and some way to milk it for money. Trump would announce as a democrat if he thought it would put him on TV for another minute or put another gilder in his pocket. What he really wants is to put his name on something, and the White House just isn't big and flashy enough for that.

Gerarddm
01-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Does the clown vehicle look like Further ( the Acid Test bus ) ?

Another image I have is of those Shriners in fez caps zooming around on slow go karts during parades in the 1950s.

Arizona Bay
01-25-2015, 10:34 AM

Another image I have is of those Shriners in fez caps zooming around on slow go karts during parades in the 1950s.

It's more like a short bus at this point.http://derder.com/zen12/images/SB_Ep9_thumb.gif

elf
01-25-2015, 10:50 AM
If by such motivation they find love and purpose in Jehovah's arrangement, how can you be so judgmental?
Well, since there is no Jehovah, their seeking of approval from a fantasy is like being good so one will get presents at Christmas from Santa.

It's not a life. It's childish. And it's demeaning.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Two ewes.

http://www.singalongwithme.com/hippo/ewes.gif

FURTHUR.

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm glad gas is cheap!

David G
01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Scientists: Earth can not sustain the expanding number of Republican candidates! -- Borowitz

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Scientists: Earth can not sustain the expanding number of Republican candidates! -- BorowitzToo bad the GOPers are not like lemmings.:)

Nicholas Scheuer
01-25-2015, 11:41 AM
I LIKE the image of the "short bus".

Peerie Maa
01-25-2015, 12:47 PM
If by such motivation they find love and purpose in Jehovah's arrangement, how can you be so judgmental?

Judgemental? Or saddened?

LeeG
01-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Hold on folks, she's not holding back!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3r1N90l-Qk