PDA

View Full Version : Work day of a cosmologist?

MiddleAgesMan
01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
While listening to an interview with a Professor Penrose, one of Hawking's award winning collaborators, I was led to wonder, what do cosmologists do during a typical work day?

Does Hawking go into an office everyday, sit down at his desk and start thinking deep thoughts? When collaborating, do two cosmologists sit down at a blackboard and offer up theories and arguments and counter arguments, keeping regular hours as they do so?

What about the lesser known cosmologists, what sort of work day is routine for them?

All I could find with Google was this Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking but Youtube had several video answers if I was really asking about cosmetologists.

TomF
01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
In a movie somewhere, a character answered that by saying "I go to my desk and think. Sometimes I write a few things down." :D

Paul Pless
01-23-2015, 04:57 PM
completed deep thoughts by theoretical physicists of any stripe are products of long periods of deep thought i would think;
funny that you mention that interview, i heard it as well
that particular collaboration was noteworthy in that it marked a shift in the way those types of people work, much more in pairs and in teams to build and test theories and to arrive at consensus than say a half century earlier when the likes of einstein and oppenheimer worked mostly in isolation

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-23-2015, 05:06 PM
I don't think they worked in isolation even then, Paul.

Every schoiolboy knows that Einstein published his three great papers in 1905 whilst working at the Swiss patent office but he was completing his PhD at the same time.

There is a reason why people working at the Cavendish Laboratory have won 29 Nobel Prizes.

Paul Pless
01-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Correct. But did Einstein list any collaborators on his published theories?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Yes.

Why do you suppose a "Bose-Einstein condensate" is called a "Bose-Einstein condensate"?

Paul Pless
01-23-2015, 05:30 PM
twenty five years after his theory of relativity. . .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Eight years after General Relativity

Peerie Maa
01-23-2015, 05:53 PM
There were science clubs in the European cities where people met to talk and exchange ideas. Einstein was a founder member of one of these.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Academy

Michael D. Storey
01-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Yes.

Why do you suppose a "Bose-Einstein condensate" is called a "Bose-Einstein condensate"?

Because he agreed to let them put his likeness on their speakers?
Or was it the 3 million marks?