PDA

View Full Version : Attn Texans: if you earn more than $4000, you're too wealthy for Medicaid

Norman Bernstein
01-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Simply incredible:

Jason Millman (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/20/parents-earning-more-than-2800-are-too-rich-to-qualify-for-medicaid-in-texas/): “A common misconception about the Medicaid program is that all poor people automatically qualify for the health insurance program. They don’t — and depending on where you live, it can be incredibly hard to get coverage.”“If you live in one of the 23 states that didn’t expand coverage, the limits can be really strict, according to a new report (http://kff.org/medicaid/report/modern-era-medicaid-findings-from-a-50-state-survey-of-eligibility-enrollment-renewal-and-cost-sharing-policies-in-medicaid-and-chip-as-of-january-2015/?utm_campaign=KFF%3A+General&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=15657680&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--AKXaV93ISxsWtbg3YsGTvLLoAB39fyJg0AZ3Yo_-fpZjj-jqR_vaAvnsk2_C1dZicSTNylyo11eCCH46wn6I3L4XANBanspo iwD1iRe5uKdBr5pg&_hsmi=15657680) from the Kaiser Family Foundation. The result is that a lot of people end up being caught in a gap where they make too much money to qualify for Medicaid but too little to get assistance through the new Obamacare health insurance exchanges.”

“Fourteen states currently set Medicaid eligibility for parents at below half of the federal poverty level. One of the most stringent requirements is found in Texas, the largest state sitting out the Medicaid expansion. Medicaid coverage in Texas is cut off for parents earning above 19 percent of the federal poverty level — or $3,760 for a family of three.”

I'd love to hear the rationale for this.... an explanation for why a Texas family of three doesn't qualify for the health care everyone needs unless they're essentially destitute, and probably homeless.

paulf
01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
That's $45,120 per year. $3,760 can't mean total income.

Edit:

Just checked it out, That is incredible!

John Smith
01-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Obama's fault, no doubt. Actually, I bet many Texans who can't get coverage do blame him.

Todd D
01-23-2015, 02:59 PM
That's $45,120 per year. $3,760 can't mean total income.

Edit:

Just checked it out, That is incredible!

Yup and if you don't have children you aren't eligible at all. Same here in Maine. Childless adults are not eligible for medicaid.

Bobby of Tulsa
01-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Yup and if you don't have children you aren't eligible at all. Same here in Maine. Childless adults are not eligible for medicaid. Yet you still have to have insurance or pay the penalty.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Simply incredible:

I'd love to hear the rationale for this.... an explanation for why a Texas family of three doesn't qualify for the health care everyone needs unless they're essentially destitute, and probably homeless.
There is none!