PDA

View Full Version : Flush mount Box Compasses

DD
03-15-2001, 12:44 PM
Anybody know of a good source for a box-type compass to be mounted in the cockpit sole? Would need a flat top of course and sturdy glass etc - going in a Rozinante which is far too pretty to have holes cut in her bulkheads...

DD
Anybody know of a good source for a box-type compass to be mounted in the cockpit sole? Would need a flat top of course and sturdy glass etc - going in a Rozinante which is far too pretty to have holes cut in her bulkheads...

DD

Scott Rosen
03-15-2001, 02:19 PM
Had a similar problem in my boat. I needed a compass in the cockpit, but didn't want to put holes in the bulkheads and didn't want to put in a binnicle. What I did was build a teak box for the high quality bulkhead mounting compass. The box attaches to the bulkhead with two bronze keyhole slots in the back, which land on two screws set into the bulkhead. I remove it when I'm not using it.

I've never seen a sole-mounted compass. I would be concerned about water, scratches and being able to see it from every point in the cockpit.

Scott Rosen
Had a similar problem in my boat. I needed a compass in the cockpit, but didn't want to put holes in the bulkheads and didn't want to put in a binnicle. What I did was build a teak box for the high quality bulkhead mounting compass. The box attaches to the bulkhead with two bronze keyhole slots in the back, which land on two screws set into the bulkhead. I remove it when I'm not using it.

I've never seen a sole-mounted compass. I would be concerned about water, scratches and being able to see it from every point in the cockpit.

Scott Rosen

Frank Wentzel
03-15-2001, 03:48 PM
I understand sole-mounted compasses used to be common. The first boat I ever sailed in 1970 had a sole-mounted compass. She was a slow but very comfortable 28' sloop built in 1938, called "Mai Oui". She sailed out of the Sassafrass River on the Chesapake Bay. Yes the glass was scratched (all the more so because she had been a rental boat for a number of years) but it was still usable after 32 years. Of course the need for compass-navigation is minimal on the Chesapeake.

[This message has been edited by Frank Wentzel (edited 03-15-2001).]

Frank Wentzel
I understand sole-mounted compasses used to be common. The first boat I ever sailed in 1970 had a sole-mounted compass. She was a slow but very comfortable 28' sloop built in 1938, called "Mai Oui". She sailed out of the Sassafrass River on the Chesapake Bay. Yes the glass was scratched (all the more so because she had been a rental boat for a number of years) but it was still usable after 32 years. Of course the need for compass-navigation is minimal on the Chesapeake.

Frank Wentzel

Mike Field
03-15-2001, 07:21 PM
DD, I've got a reasonably new Silva box compass that I mount on the cockpit seat. It's gimballed inside the box.

If you can get one like that, you'd just need a cradle under the cockpit sole to mount it in, with a separate glass panel flush with the sole directly above it.

Cruisers with bridge decks between cockpit and companion often mounted them like this in the bridge deck.

Mike Field
DD, I've got a reasonably new Silva box compass that I mount on the cockpit seat. It's gimballed inside the box.

If you can get one like that, you'd just need a cradle under the cockpit sole to mount it in, with a separate glass panel flush with the sole directly above it.

Cruisers with bridge decks between cockpit and companion often mounted them like this in the bridge deck.

Mike Field

DD
03-16-2001, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the thoughts,
I've sailed with em and they do get scratched a little (If, you let people on board with shoes on!!), water doesn't seem a problem and they can be seen pretty well on a smaller boat-I wonder if there is anyone making new ones or restoring nice old bronz ones!?

DD
Thanks for the thoughts,
I've sailed with em and they do get scratched a little (If, you let people on board with shoes on!!), water doesn't seem a problem and they can be seen pretty well on a smaller boat-I wonder if there is anyone making new ones or restoring nice old bronz ones!?

DD
Thanks for the thoughts,

thinwatersailor
03-16-2001, 01:15 PM
Try http:\\www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3804B.html

Beautiful compass for $280.00.

Flat card compasses avail fm the discounters for less than $100.00. The teak box idea is great.

thinwatersailor

Flat card compasses avail fm the discounters for less than $100.00. The teak box idea is great.

thinwatersailor