PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler Engine parts

bcarley
02-19-2001, 01:02 PM
I am about to start rebuilding a Chrysler straight 8 model M8 engine and am in need of a source for parts.

bcarley
I am about to start rebuilding a Chrysler straight 8 model M8 engine and am in need of a source for parts.

bcarley

Ken Liden
02-20-2001, 11:04 PM
First you should buddy up to the nearest engine machinist cause you can't do this lonesome.

Pistons are available from Egge Machine or Jahns for almost anything. I believe that they are both on the internet. Bearings should not be a problem because they were used in several Chrysler engines. Rings can be had almost anytime even though it may not be a packaged set. Some Sealed Power warehouses carry open stock rings and can make up a ring set that way. Grant Rings and Hastings Rings are also good sources for this old stuff. Valve lifters because they are of the mushroom type are not very common but they have been brought back in production several times over the years. If they can't be found then you can always have the old ones reground. It takes special equipment so don't let some jerk butt grind them on his valve grinder. The camshaft can be reground by any cam grinder. Same goes for the crankshaft. Valve and seats have to be ground my your machinist. Valves may not be available but you can grind the stems of the old ones undersize. Your machinist can fit up the old guides with bronze liners to the undersize stems. It probably will cost more than new valves and guides IF they are available. Gasket sets are likely to be the most troublesome to find however there are several suppliers / manufacturers that serve mostly the antique market. If you are going to be raw water cooled finding a source of a copper clad head gasket will be the biggest problem overall. Oil pumps are available rebuilt from antique parts sources.

Good luck.

Ken Liden
First you should buddy up to the nearest engine machinist cause you can't do this lonesome.

Pistons are available from Egge Machine or Jahns for almost anything. I believe that they are both on the internet. Bearings should not be a problem because they were used in several Chrysler engines. Rings can be had almost anytime even though it may not be a packaged set. Some Sealed Power warehouses carry open stock rings and can make up a ring set that way. Grant Rings and Hastings Rings are also good sources for this old stuff. Valve lifters because they are of the mushroom type are not very common but they have been brought back in production several times over the years. If they can't be found then you can always have the old ones reground. It takes special equipment so don't let some jerk butt grind them on his valve grinder. The camshaft can be reground by any cam grinder. Same goes for the crankshaft. Valve and seats have to be ground my your machinist. Valves may not be available but you can grind the stems of the old ones undersize. Your machinist can fit up the old guides with bronze liners to the undersize stems. It probably will cost more than new valves and guides IF they are available. Gasket sets are likely to be the most troublesome to find however there are several suppliers / manufacturers that serve mostly the antique market. If you are going to be raw water cooled finding a source of a copper clad head gasket will be the biggest problem overall. Oil pumps are available rebuilt from antique parts sources.

Good luck.

Ken Liden

Good luck.

Scott Rosen
02-21-2001, 11:10 AM
Try contacting Harry at Harry's Marine Repair in Westbrook, Connecticut, 860 399-6165. He specializes in Chrysler marine engines.

Scott Rosen
Try contacting Harry at Harry's Marine Repair in Westbrook, Connecticut, 860 399-6165. He specializes in Chrysler marine engines.

Scott Rosen