Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMAC
    • Nov 2000

Hey mechanics!

Why is it I get enthused about working on my old '69 Mercedes 250 in an unheated garage in January in Maine?

Today's challenge- I ordered power steering hose to replace the low pressure lines from and to the reservoir. The old return hose was in pretty bad condition. It takes a bend, if on a clock it would be rising vertically about 4" then curving left at 10:00 about 4". The old was shaped, the new is not, sold by the meter. When I got the new section on, the hose wall collapsed and it looks like the flow would be restricted.

Mercedes doesn't stock the shaped hose, just the straight. Any advice on how to make this work?

[img]001 (2) by jmacs1959, on Flickr[img]
  • Jimmy W
    SE USA MS or sometimes GA
    • Feb 2010

Re: Hey mechanics!

My first thought is to slip one of those coil spring tubing benders over the hose in that area. Is that possible?

Comment

• BrianW
      not your average member
      • Nov 2002

I'd go to a couple parts stores looking for a better quality line.

Assuming of course, you don't want to cut in half and add an adapter.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• JMAC
        • Nov 2000

The ID is either 15 or 17 mm (don't remember which) Not a standard size that's carried locally. The engine is a thing of beauty, and I'd like to keep it authentic looking although the hose is not in plain sight.

Comment

• JMAC
          • Nov 2000

Gib, that's what I'm having a problem with. The listings are straight hose, which I bought, the one I took out was formed.

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

NAPA will make you a proper line: out of solid hydraulic tubing, rubber hose, or braided flexible hose. Costs somewhere between fifty and a hundred bucks depending on the fitting type on the ends of the hose.
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Breakaway
              • Mar 2007

You could check marine supply. Braided hoses designed to install at 45- and 90-degree bends is used for sterndrive power trim. West marine , others sell these in engine -specific kits.

Maybe worth a look.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
              There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• JMAC
                • Nov 2000

This is a low pressure line, held on with hose clamps...no fittings. On the bench, the new hose will take the same curve as the old, but the actual fit is probably a tighter bend. I'll take some pictures in a little while...

Comment

• StevenBauer
                  LPBC member
                  • Jan 2000

What is the hose made of? Did you try prebending it with some heat? Either hot water or carefully with a heat gun?

Steven

Comment

• Garret
                    Hills of Vermont
                    • Apr 2005

Slide an appropriately sized plastic plumbing fitting (or 2 or 3) over the line & tape it into place? If close in diameter, it'll keep the hose from kinking

Or - bend a piece of copper tubing of the right diameter to the shape & use the rubber at the ends. If what you can get for tubing is a little loose inside the rubber, use 2 clamps on the tubing side at each end. The return hose is very low pressure - so this does not have to withstand a lot - maybe 5 psi tops?
                    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                      me 𑀩 thinking
                      • Mar 2006

Fill it with sand. Bend it. Warm it up. Dump sand. Install pre-bent hose.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jim Mahan
                        Fill it with sand. Bend it. Warm it up. Dump sand. Install pre-bent hose.

Fill it with sand. warm it up. Bend* it. Let it cool down. Dump sand. Install pre-bent hose.

* Slightly more than you want finally.

Comment

• Garret
                          Hills of Vermont
                          • Apr 2005

Interesting idea, but I wold want to make absolutely sure there is not one grain of sand left in the hose!
                          "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• moTthediesel
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jimmy W
                            My first thought is to slip one of those coil spring tubing benders over the hose in that area. Is that possible?
                            This is a good idea, but it would need to be tight, and then it might not slip over the end fittings. How about sliding the spring inside of the hose? Yes, a flow restriction, but maybe not too much?

Comment

• JMAC
                              • Nov 2000

[img]IMG_0511 by jmacs1959, on Flickr[img]

[img]IMG_0512 by jmacs1959, on Flickr[img]

The hose I bought seems good quality. There's a braid in the middle and the outside appears to be a spiral wrap. It smells like rubber, and was tough to cut. You really think it would hold a heated bend?

When I was looking locally, I hear more than once that hose made for coolant wouldn't hold up to power steering fluid. True?

Comment

Working...