Let's get past the bickering: What do YOU want the new congress to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Let's get past the bickering: What do YOU want the new congress to do?

Personally, I'd like to see them pass some serious legislation aimed at modernizing and rebuilding our infrastructure.

I'd like to see them do some absolutely positive for our wounded vets.

I'd like to see them work toward renewable energy. Even if one doesn't believe in climate change, isn't getting off oil a good thing?

I'd like them to prohibit Canada's oil from being transported across the USA under any circumstances.

I'd lie them to take us to single payer health care, raise the minimum wage, and convert the jobs now building tanks and planes no one wants to products people want.

Also, but least likely, I'd like the Republican congress to investigate the G.W. Bush administration, rather than just circling the wagons. The whole world knows what this country did under that president. The whole world knows we now acknowledge what was done. If we do nothing now, we have condoned it all.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • Memphis Mike
    Banned
    • Jun 2001

Re: Let's get past the bickering: What do YOU want the new congress to do?

To go away.

Comment

• Paul Pless
      pinko commie tree hugger
      • Oct 2003

rofl
      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• David G
        • Dec 2003

Here's what I EXPECT them to do --

David G
        Harbor Woodworks
        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• John of Phoenix
          • Jun 2001

You may as well wish for a pony too.

Comment

• Steve McMahon
            Senior Dis-Member
            • Nov 2000

Originally posted by John of Phoenix
            You may as well wish for a pony too.
            Taking care of a pony is a big commitment.
            Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Comment

• John Smith
              • Mar 2009

I don't expect much, but I'm trying to get an idea of what people would LIKE them to do, should they ever decide to do some work FOR the people.
              "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Kevin G
                • Apr 2000

"...get past the bickering"? That didn't last too long.
                \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

• David G
                  • Dec 2003

No... it didn't last too long --

Speaker John Boehner Confirms Republicans Will Target Obamacare Once Again
                  David G
                  Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2007

There seems to be a reading, comprehension and understanding on this forum.

The OP read "Let's get past the bickering: What do YOU want the new congress to do?"

not ""Let's bicker: What do YOU think the new congress to do?"

Comment

• Kevin G
                      • Apr 2000

I wasn't referring to Congress' bickering.
                      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

• ccmanuals
                        Son of a Guineaman
                        • Dec 2001

I expect nothing from this Congress. My only hope is that they don't break things that have been successful and helping the middle class. It's not about progress anymore. It's about keeping what we have.
                        Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• George Jung
                          • Jan 2004

This is what we're seeing 'locally' - entirely predictable, and notable for the Republicans unfamiliarity with reality (most folks I know don't support Keystone)

The Onion couldn't do it better.
                          There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• David G
                            • Dec 2003

John Boehner Says GOP Will Move Forward With Plan That Could Risk DHS Shutdown
                            David G
                            Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• mikefrommontana
                              • Sep 2010

I'll play...

Raise the gas tax 25 cents over two years, and then index it from then on.

A base level single payer health system that is NOT reliant on employers.

Increase infrastructure spending.

Increase spending for veterans -- I suspect scrapping the JSF program would provide the funding for that.

Require future war spending to be paid for by issuance of bonds (War Bonds). Want to invade someplace--well hold a bake sale and quit running up the debt.

I'd ask for tax related stuff (equalizing capital gains tax rates over $500K) but I know when I start asking for a pony, so I'll quit.

Comment

Working...