Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Malcolm Jardine
    • Aug 2002

New Puter

We managed to kill both computers in a matter of a few days... the first one was not at fault, Nancy catapulted it off the dresser onto the floor after getting tangled in the power cord. Apparently computers don't like to be dropped. My old laptop just gave up its hard drive.... showing an imminent failure for about a year, then poof, it wouldn't boot up anymore. I am going to have a friend look at it, I understand hard drives are cheap. We don't us our computers for heavy downloads such as Netflix and so on, so I bought a midline Acer with enough RAM and memory to more than serve my needs. The helpful young guy at Future Shop told me I had got my moneys worth out my 5-6 year old laptop anyway. This one is a 15 inch, can't see much on the ten or twelve inch screens.
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.
  • pipefitter
    • Mar 2005

Re: New Puter

I like to rebuild them and install a memory upgrade, and then install Linux on them. My current PC is 8 years old and noticeably faster than the new ones at work. I cringe every time I am asked to work with those. The downside of getting used to an optimized, yet uncluttered system.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
      Banned
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine
      We managed to kill both computers in a matter of a few days... the first one was not at fault, Nancy catapulted it off the dresser onto the floor after getting tangled in the power cord. Apparently computers don't like to be dropped. My old laptop just gave up its hard drive.... showing an imminent failure for about a year, then poof, it wouldn't boot up anymore. I am going to have a friend look at it, I understand hard drives are cheap. We don't us our computers for heavy downloads such as Netflix and so on, so I bought a midline Acer with enough RAM and memory to more than serve my needs. The helpful young guy at Future Shop told me I had got my moneys worth out my 5-6 year old laptop anyway. This one is a 15 inch, can't see much on the ten or twelve inch screens.
      Sounds like you need computer with a 'MagSafe' connector.

Like an Apple computer has.

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
        • Aug 2002

Good idea Rum.... The weird thing about computers is the lifespan.... I have tools I have had for more than 30 years. I bought good ones and they last. The world is going to hell in a handbasket. I am officially becoming and old fart.
        Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
          Banned
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine
          Good idea Rum.... The weird thing about computers is the lifespan.... I have tools I have had for more than 30 years. I bought good ones and they last. The world is going to hell in a handbasket. I am officially becoming and old fart.
          I hate the 'throwaway' society.

You and me both are
          officially becoming, if not having attuned that status already, an old fart!

PS Yesterday, my son ( I obviously have not brought him up correctly) wanted to throw away a bit of soft sided luggage.
          10 minutes with a needle and strong thread and :-
          1. The zip was re-attached on the 4" it's original stitching has burst.
          2. One end of the fabric handle was reattached.
          Around $60.00 saved.
          Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 01-04-2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...