PDA

View Full Version : Self-steering : which is best?

Oliver Cobb
02-09-2001, 11:30 PM
I am considering a wind vane for my 32 foot sloop with conventional transom and outboard rudder. The boat has a full displacement hull of about 9 tons.

On the Web I've seen the sites for Fleming, Monitor, and Sailomat, with plenty of testimonials for each. Anyone have any experience with these or other brands -- and are you willing to weigh in with advice for a tyro like me?

Oliver Cobb
S.V Kowloon Jade
Comox B.C. Canada

Oliver Cobb
I am considering a wind vane for my 32 foot sloop with conventional transom and outboard rudder. The boat has a full displacement hull of about 9 tons.

On the Web I've seen the sites for Fleming, Monitor, and Sailomat, with plenty of testimonials for each. Anyone have any experience with these or other brands -- and are you willing to weigh in with advice for a tyro like me?

Oliver Cobb
S.V Kowloon Jade
Comox B.C. Canada

Oliver Cobb

Oliver Cobb
S.V Kowloon Jade
Comox B.C. Canada

paladin
02-10-2001, 10:09 AM
Sailed with all of them. Used a Sailomat up the east coast from the Gulf of Mexico, to Newfoundland, Labrador, Iceland, Faeroes, over and around Scotland and the U.K. to Latvia. Sold it in Latvia. Bought Fleming in Helsinki, sailed around the world twice with it over 6 years and only replaced the wooden paddle a dozen times. Buy the plywood, make them yourself, coat them with epoxy and they will last until a really nasty blow when it sahouldn't be up in the first place. The now make a lighter version for smaller boats. They are heavy but don't break.
Only had the monitor for one year, until the boat was sold. Never a lick of trouble with it either, but it did well in the B.O.C.

paladin
Sailed with all of them. Used a Sailomat up the east coast from the Gulf of Mexico, to Newfoundland, Labrador, Iceland, Faeroes, over and around Scotland and the U.K. to Latvia. Sold it in Latvia. Bought Fleming in Helsinki, sailed around the world twice with it over 6 years and only replaced the wooden paddle a dozen times. Buy the plywood, make them yourself, coat them with epoxy and they will last until a really nasty blow when it sahouldn't be up in the first place. The now make a lighter version for smaller boats. They are heavy but don't break.
Only had the monitor for one year, until the boat was sold. Never a lick of trouble with it either, but it did well in the B.O.C.

paladin

paladin
02-10-2001, 10:13 AM
Sorry...another thought. If you want to build one yourself, and use your outboard rudder, rebuild it with a trim tab. Then contact John Marples in Florida for a copy of Jim Browns Searunner construction manua. The unit described there will perform every bit as well as the commercial units at a fraction of the cost, and the parts are easy to make.....I used two different ones on boats that I built and they all functioned perfectly over a five or six year period.

paladin
Sorry...another thought. If you want to build one yourself, and use your outboard rudder, rebuild it with a trim tab. Then contact John Marples in Florida for a copy of Jim Browns Searunner construction manua. The unit described there will perform every bit as well as the commercial units at a fraction of the cost, and the parts are easy to make.....I used two different ones on boats that I built and they all functioned perfectly over a five or six year period.

paladin

paladin
02-11-2001, 08:36 PM
Jim Brown designed the Searunner series of trimarans.....good boats. John Marples sells his plans, John Marples, P.O. Box 1437,
St. Augustine, Florida 32085......Phone and Fax 904-824-2688.
You want the Searunner construction manual and the self steering plans if they will sell them separately........if you do have a lot of trouble I'll check my print archives and see if I still have them.

paladin
Jim Brown designed the Searunner series of trimarans.....good boats. John Marples sells his plans, John Marples, P.O. Box 1437,
You want the Searunner construction manual and the self steering plans if they will sell them separately........if you do have a lot of trouble I'll check my print archives and see if I still have them.

paladin

Wilson Fitt
02-26-2001, 08:37 PM
Have a look at the Cap Horn made in Quebec and advertized in the major magazines. It's less expensive than most of the competition, nicely made and very neat and tidy looking. I'm quite happy with mine after several thousand miles.

Wilson Fitt
Have a look at the Cap Horn made in Quebec and advertized in the major magazines. It's less expensive than most of the competition, nicely made and very neat and tidy looking. I'm quite happy with mine after several thousand miles.

Wilson Fitt