PDA

View Full Version : tiller strap/cap source?

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a sharpie that has a vertical, stainless rudder shaft/rod. This rod goes through my tiller and the tiller attaches to this shaft via a horizontal stainless through-bolt. This allows me only side to side tiller movement. I would like to replace this with tiller strap/cap attachment (that I saw recently on another sharpie) that allows my tiller to raise and lower at the connection point, as well as move sideways. Does anyone have an idea what this attachment unit is called, and where I might find one?
Thanks, Dave, TN

seapearl154
I have a sharpie that has a vertical, stainless rudder shaft/rod. This rod goes through my tiller and the tiller attaches to this shaft via a horizontal stainless through-bolt. This allows me only side to side tiller movement. I would like to replace this with tiller strap/cap attachment (that I saw recently on another sharpie) that allows my tiller to raise and lower at the connection point, as well as move sideways. Does anyone have an idea what this attachment unit is called, and where I might find one?
Thanks, Dave, TN

seapearl154
Thanks, Dave, TN

Venchka
03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
I know what you want. My first boat had a fitting like that. The pivot bolt holding the tiller to the fitting is aft of the rudder shaft, right?

Art Read used a similar fitting on MELINDA, ask him where he got it. He may have had it made. See the thread and scroll down to the bottom.

Rudder stock fitting (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000731)

Venchka
I know what you want. My first boat had a fitting like that. The pivot bolt holding the tiller to the fitting is aft of the rudder shaft, right?

Art Read used a similar fitting on MELINDA, ask him where he got it. He may have had it made. See the thread and scroll down to the bottom.

Rudder stock fitting (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000731)

Venchka

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Yes, that is right. And yes, that is what I'm looking for. Except that the one I saw (and sailed with) on this other sharpie didn't attach to the tiller with such a large strap, and it appeared to be a stock item, not a custom one. I suppose it was bronze. I know that Spartan Marine offers a high end one for high bucks.
Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
Yes, that is right. And yes, that is what I'm looking for. Except that the one I saw (and sailed with) on this other sharpie didn't attach to the tiller with such a large strap, and it appeared to be a stock item, not a custom one. I suppose it was bronze. I know that Spartan Marine offers a high end one for high bucks.
Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
Thanks, Dave

Art Read
03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Actually, the one you see in those pictures is still sitting on my shop shelf. I found another, slightly less "substantial" one at the Marine Exchange before launching and swapped 'em out. Seemed more in "scale" to the rest of the boat. They aren't really all that hard to find. Especially if you'd being willing to use stainless instead of holding out for bronze. I believe the catalog heading would be something like "tiller head fitting". Or perhaps "rudder head fitting"?

(Here's the one that actually made it on the boat. Sorry there isn't a better view of the "cap piece"...)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid56/pea249ef362d55817fe7f09beac92a6b6/fc730d23.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p9860801645761b1b1e0f4c7ab10d393d/fc463c36.jpg

So, what size is your rudder stock?

[ 03-02-2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

Art Read
Actually, the one you see in those pictures is still sitting on my shop shelf. I found another, slightly less "substantial" one at the Marine Exchange before launching and swapped 'em out. Seemed more in "scale" to the rest of the boat. They aren't really all that hard to find. Especially if you'd being willing to use stainless instead of holding out for bronze. I believe the catalog heading would be something like "tiller head fitting". Or perhaps "rudder head fitting"?

(Here's the one that actually made it on the boat. Sorry there isn't a better view of the "cap piece"...)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid56/pea249ef362d55817fe7f09beac92a6b6/fc730d23.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p9860801645761b1b1e0f4c7ab10d393d/fc463c36.jpg

Art Read

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks Art. I am willing to use stainless. I meant to measure the diameter of the shaft at lunch. I think it is 3/4in., but I will check. You say that they are not that hard to find....ideas on how to approach a search?

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
Thanks Art. I am willing to use stainless. I meant to measure the diameter of the shaft at lunch. I think it is 3/4in., but I will check. You say that they are not that hard to find....ideas on how to approach a search?

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
The sharpie is 18 ft., so that gives you some idea of the scale that I am looking for. I'd post a picture if I knew how.

Dave

seapearl154
The sharpie is 18 ft., so that gives you some idea of the scale that I am looking for. I'd post a picture if I knew how.

Dave

seapearl154

Dave

JimConlin
03-02-2004, 03:32 PM
In addition to Spartan, they're also available from Edson and from Port Townsend Foundry.

JimConlin
In addition to Spartan, they're also available from Edson and from Port Townsend Foundry.

JimConlin

Venchka
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I would call Hamilton Marine before I went anywhere else. They are a stocking dealer for Spartan Marine and they have lots of goodies that don't appear in their catalog. Spartan has parts in stainless and bronze. AND, if it doesn't fit Hamilton will take it right back. Port Townsend Foundry fittings may be a bit large and not look right as Art discovered. Bristol Bronze perhaps, but I didn't see one their catalog.

No matter that you have a sharpie. What's important is that you have a 3/4" diameter rudder stock that needs a lifting tiller fitting.

Venchka
I would call Hamilton Marine before I went anywhere else. They are a stocking dealer for Spartan Marine and they have lots of goodies that don't appear in their catalog. Spartan has parts in stainless and bronze. AND, if it doesn't fit Hamilton will take it right back. Port Townsend Foundry fittings may be a bit large and not look right as Art discovered. Bristol Bronze perhaps, but I didn't see one their catalog.

No matter that you have a sharpie. What's important is that you have a 3/4" diameter rudder stock that needs a lifting tiller fitting.

Venchka

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks. I just talked with Hamilton and they were really nice.

Dave

seapearl154

Dave

seapearl154

Dave

Venchka
03-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Yes, very nice folks.

Did they have it?

Venchka
Yes, very nice folks.

Did they have it?

Venchka
Yes, very nice folks.

Did they have it?

seapearl154
03-02-2004, 05:00 PM
She said it would take about two weeks to get in my hand. It was 40 bucks less expensive than at Spartan. I'm going to double check the diameter tonight and wait for some more feedback from other sources. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
She said it would take about two weeks to get in my hand. It was 40 bucks less expensive than at Spartan. I'm going to double check the diameter tonight and wait for some more feedback from other sources. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154

Thanks, Dave

Del Lansing
03-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Could you possibly just take a die grinder and hog out the hole in the tiller to allow some verticle motion? A slightly slotted hole is maybe all you need. The stainless through bolt would still handle the turning force as it does now but there would some play for your up/down motion?

Del Lansing
Could you possibly just take a die grinder and hog out the hole in the tiller to allow some verticle motion? A slightly slotted hole is maybe all you need. The stainless through bolt would still handle the turning force as it does now but there would some play for your up/down motion?

Del Lansing

seapearl154
03-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Del,
Well, that IS a thought that I'll think on. At first thought it seems there's not much to lose in trying. Actually, my through bolt doesn't take the pressures well over time. And that is an issue in itself. Thanks.

Dave

seapearl154
Del,
Well, that IS a thought that I'll think on. At first thought it seems there's not much to lose in trying. Actually, my through bolt doesn't take the pressures well over time. And that is an issue in itself. Thanks.

Dave

seapearl154
Del,

Dave

Del Lansing
03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Is the tiller simply wood? no bearing plates on the sides to take the wear from the through bolt? That would be an easy fix too with some brass plates of such inlaid into the sides of the wood.

Del Lansing
Is the tiller simply wood? no bearing plates on the sides to take the wear from the through bolt? That would be an easy fix too with some brass plates of such inlaid into the sides of the wood.

Del Lansing

seapearl154
03-03-2004, 10:16 AM
That is correct. It is just a stick of locust with a through-hole that is countersunk on each side for head and nut recesses.

seapearl154
That is correct. It is just a stick of locust with a through-hole that is countersunk on each side for head and nut recesses.

seapearl154

Venchka
03-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Don't know how much the lifting fitting is, but it sure was nice to be able to swing the tiller right up vertical. Or I suppose even beyond vertical. That was ages ago and I can't remember where the movement stopped. What I do recall was lashing the tiller to the backstay. Got it out of way and stopped any movement of the tiller. I could stand up and the tiller followed my hand too.

Venchka
Don't know how much the lifting fitting is, but it sure was nice to be able to swing the tiller right up vertical. Or I suppose even beyond vertical. That was ages ago and I can't remember where the movement stopped. What I do recall was lashing the tiller to the backstay. Got it out of way and stopped any movement of the tiller. I could stand up and the tiller followed my hand too.

Venchka

seapearl154
03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree, and that is exactly the behavior that I am looking for. My Sea Pearl does that, and I would like for the sharpie to too. I do extended trips whenever possible, and I like to sail standing.

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154
I agree, and that is exactly the behavior that I am looking for. My Sea Pearl does that, and I would like for the sharpie to too. I do extended trips whenever possible, and I like to sail standing.

Thanks, Dave

seapearl154

Thanks, Dave

Paul Scheuer
03-03-2004, 02:08 PM
The Kings Cruiser had a square pust about 3/4 in., with threads on the top. It came up through a deck flange fitting like the one shown in Art's pics. There was a cylinder about 3 in. high, that fit over the square with a screw-on dome-shapped cap that covered a castelated nut with cotter pin. There was a crossing cylinder shape in the casting that accepted the tiller cheek straps. Everything stayed tight and looked good.

Paul Scheuer
The Kings Cruiser had a square pust about 3/4 in., with threads on the top. It came up through a deck flange fitting like the one shown in Art's pics. There was a cylinder about 3 in. high, that fit over the square with a screw-on dome-shapped cap that covered a castelated nut with cotter pin. There was a crossing cylinder shape in the casting that accepted the tiller cheek straps. Everything stayed tight and looked good.

Paul Scheuer