PDA

View Full Version : Would you call it lying?

David G
12-28-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.forwardprogressives.com/nearly-everything-republicans-said-president-obama-wrong/#disqus_thread

But when it comes to conservatives and all the absurd lies they’ve told about President Obama, it’s astonishing how so many of them haven’t come true. And now matter how many of these lies get disproven, rarely do you see conservatives sit there and say to themselves, “Wow, so pretty much everything Fox News and the Republican party told me would happen, hasn’t happened. Perhaps they’ve been lying to me the whole time.” - See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/nearly-everything-republicans-said-president-obama-wrong/#disqus_thread

Flying Orca
12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Of course it's lying. Unfortunately, it works, because some people would rather hear one lie that reinforces their prejudices than a thousand truths that contradict them.

George Jung
12-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Easy to debunk; just look at how our resident Republicans do it - by simply refusing to acknowledge facts.

'We create our own reality'

Canoeyawl
12-28-2014, 12:39 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/my_sister_did_it_sticker-re2fa30ea61ab40c096da35831a93194a_v9waf_8byvr_324. jpgIt starts young...

Paul Pless
12-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Of course it's lying. Unfortunately, it works, because some people would rather hear one lie that reinforces their prejudices than a thousand truths that contradict them.so you're saying these people make a conscientious decision believe the lies? they're not just gullible???

Ian McColgin
12-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Actually, it's worse than lying and worse than gullible. It's a sociopathic disregard for the difference between truth and falsehood. I much prefer liars as they at least care about what they are doing. That whole, mostly right wing fundamentalist populations of all the religions around the world have determined that truth and falsehood have no meaning is far worse.

Flying Orca
12-28-2014, 02:44 PM
so you're saying these people make a conscientious decision believe the lies? they're not just gullible???

I don't think it's a conscientious decision, no - I don't even think it's conscious. I think they filter out information that contradicts their cherished beliefs and focus on information that supports them.

Nicholas Carey
12-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Actually, it's worse than lying and worse than gullible. It's a sociopathic disregard for the difference between truth and falsehood. I much prefer liars as they at least care about what they are doing. That whole, mostly right wing fundamentalist populations of all the religions around the world have determined that truth and falsehood have no meaning is far worse.

I think the right-wing types have — ironically, given their distaste for the intelligentsia and [left-wing] academia — taken the work of Jacques Derrida and his ilk's post-Modernist literary theory to heart: that the text has no intrinsic meaning in and of itself.

To quote Wikipedia's article on Post-Modernism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism)

A deconstructive approach further depends on the techniques of close reading without reference to cultural, ideological, moral opinions or information derived from an authority over the text such as the author. At the same time Derrida famously writes: "Il n'y a pas d'hors-texte (there is no such thing as outside-of-the-text)." Derrida implies that the world follows the grammar of a text undergoing its own deconstruction.

Philosopher Daniel Dennett declared, "Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster."

I find the right's successful exploitation of the theories of people they despise rather ironic.

skuthorp
12-28-2014, 03:32 PM
"I find the right's successful exploitation of the theories of people they despise rather ironic."
Does that mean that they get (elect) the politicians they deserve?

David G
12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
NC - it was post-modernist interpretations I was thinking of when I phrased the thread title the way I did. You have captured my thoughts nicely.

George Jung
12-28-2014, 04:11 PM
"I find the right's successful exploitation of the theories of people they despise rather ironic."
Does that mean that they get (elect) the politicians they deserve?

No; it means 'we' do. Therein lies the rub.

CWSmith
12-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Actually, it's worse than lying and worse than gullible. It's a sociopathic disregard for the difference between truth and falsehood.

Life in the bubble. I begins with a saturation by misinformation and evolves into a belief system that transcends the facts.

It really is no wonder that the right turns to personal insults so quickly when any debate occurs.

Boater14
12-29-2014, 05:22 PM
no, its americans. putrid little haters. they want to hate and the right wing media give them what they want. the Shining City In The Hill...what a crock. and no...i'm not leaving.