PDA

View Full Version : Fate of old back issues?

Alex C
12-27-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm fulfilling a promise to clean out my stuff from my parents basement, and have several boxes of old Wooden Boat magazines (#29 on, except 6 missing issues- all readable, some covers a little beat up). Is there still a market for old back issues, or has the digital revolution rendered them worthless? If not, anyone interested, and any thoughts on fair pricing?

Sadly, I think 1-29 may have been victims of a flood- back to the basement for one last search...

jimkeen
12-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Lots of folks still like the look and feel of the print issues of Wooden Boat.
I have a complete set from number 1, I am well on my way to a second set. When that set is as complete as reasonably possible, I will be donating it to a local non profit involved in boat building with kids.
Wooden Boat Magazine is a tremendous resource with lots of free plans and how too's
Best of luck.
Jim K

David G
12-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I have an almost complete set, as well. I very much enjoy leafing back thru them on occasion, and having them to refer to after consulting the online index.

I'd suggest you might offer them to anyone who wanted to pay the shipping.

Dan Payne
12-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Old books and magazines are breeding grounds for mold.
No matter to most folks, but if you have allergies, look out.
Being a disorganized individual, I love this new digital age. It helps me in my housekeeping.

Oldad
12-27-2014, 02:41 PM
One possibility, if you are interested in making a buck, offer them one issue at a time on eBay. Otherwise, the suggestion of giving them away to someone who will pay the shipping is probably reasonable. I paid a dollar per issue from a fellow over in Maine who found them in a house he purchased. Glad to get them, from issue #1 up into the eighties which blended nicely with my own collection. Lots of possibilities, whatever you do, don't throw them out.

StevenBauer
12-27-2014, 03:46 PM
I've got two almost complete collections of WB. After I join them and have a full, I hope, set I'll be looking to get rid of the rest.

Steven

SNAPMAN
12-27-2014, 05:11 PM
This same issue was discussed a couple of months ago

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?184035-Free-to-a-good-home-five-shelf-feet-of-Woodenboat-Magazine&highlight=magazines

I have watched the used book market (I sell engineering books on Amazon) slowly head toward oblivion over the last 5 years. It would seem that fewer and fewer people want a physical copy.

Alan
https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/

goodbasil
12-28-2014, 04:33 PM
I have them fro Day 1.
In these parts #'s 1 to 15 sell @ $4 each.
#'s 16 up, $3 ea.
That's best price in second hand book stores which are becoming extinct.

Stick them on Craigslist and see what happens.

Oldad
12-28-2014, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=goodbasil;4398887]I have them fro Day 1.
In these parts #'s 1 to 15 sell @ $4 each.
#'s 16 up, $3 ea.
That's best price in second hand book stores which are becoming extinct.

Stick them on Craigslist and see what happens.[/QUOTE

That is where I got mine

Arko
12-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Well if you cant decide what to do with them send them to me.

chuckt
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
My old back issue will probably just get worse and worse until I have to get surgery on my ruptured disk. I plan on putting it off as long as possible

Oldad
12-31-2014, 08:47 PM
My old back issue will probably just get worse and worse until I have to get surgery on my ruptured disk. I plan on putting it off as long as possible

I feel the same way about my bad knee issue. Back issue not so bad when knees hurt.

Sailor
01-01-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm looking for a few from there. I think #33 and #160 are the only ones from the list you have. I'm also missing 2,3,5, and 8 if you found the earlier ones. I would be interested in those if you are interested in parting them out like that.

jimkeen
01-01-2015, 07:31 PM
I have no idea why but #33 is the most elusive. Good luck.

Sailor
01-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Is it? I had no idea. I figured I just hadn't come across it yet. I guess others have the same problem.

FARMS100
01-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I would like any issues that you don't. I was given 2 boxes of them a while back i will send them on if you let me know, my mags are about 150-232. Any that are after that i would love to have. Maybe trade if you need what i have. I will pay postage!
Al

Sailor
01-21-2015, 09:15 PM
I have no duplicates. I gave them to my dad. Still looking for the ones I mentioned above though.