PDA

View Full Version : What are you guys (and gals) gonna build this coming year?

Fitz
12-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I gotta hankerin' to try something new. No real direction yet, and there are too many projects in the pipeline already, but something needs scratching.

Oh. Maybe I should take this upstairs. :D

Donn
12-25-2014, 06:38 PM
With a little luck, a new boathouse, a new bulkhead, and a ~7' lift on the house, followed by fitting out the new boathouse and extensive repairs and remodeling of the lifted house next winter.

Most of it will be hired out.

Paul Pless
12-25-2014, 07:34 PM
I gotta hankerin' to try something new.
Something epoxy? With a transom??

Paul Pless
12-25-2014, 07:35 PM
What are you guys (and gals) gonna build this coming year?a bathroom, I think its probably about time. . .

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-25-2014, 08:55 PM
a bathroom, I think its probably about time. . .

Paul, when you rush things they don't get done properly :D

I am going to built a portico over the front door, replace the front step, hopefully get a boat back in the water, and possibly a new deck, but that depends on dough. I also have to reroof half the shop, do some trim work in the apartment over the shop, and repaint our kitchen.

TomF
12-25-2014, 09:43 PM
for me it's probably going to be a pantry built into what's presently a recess in the kitchen, as well as painting the kitchen and installing perhaps 3 recessed lights over the countertop near the stove. Come Summer I'll paint another face of the house exterior, and do some repairs to the shed's door and steps.

Rich Jones
12-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Gonna build me another boat if I can convince the wife. Number 16 or 17. Starting to lose count....

Jimmy W
12-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I have cut out some of the pieces for a three chamber bat house. I need to get back to work on it.

Hugh Conway
12-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Vase stand mostly mimicking the 3-legger in Ecke's Chinese Domestic Furniture. Probably of Walnut. That's what I'd most like to make, right now. But there are quite a few other things on the list. And things to finish.

Phil Y
12-25-2014, 10:49 PM
A bigger shed first, then a kithcen/dining/family room extension on our old house. Lots of glass, some recycled hardwood and some corrugated iron. Maybe a bit of stone to tie in with the house.

CWSmith
12-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Gonna build me another boat if I can convince the wife. Number 16 or 17. Starting to lose count....

Some guys spend their nights in strip joints and bars. Others build boats, make chairs, play golf,... Could be worse.

Jim Bow
12-26-2014, 03:32 AM
"Strip joints"? Would those be cedar strips and scarf joints?

Piccup Pram, and some more birdhouses.

slug
12-26-2014, 04:09 AM
I have cut out some of the pieces for a three chamber bat house. I need to get back to work on it.

Bat house. I used to make bat houses when I was a kid.

seanz
12-26-2014, 04:44 AM

You better pay a bit more attention to which number she is..........women can be really picky about little things like that.

Curtism
12-26-2014, 07:34 AM
If/when I ever find my shop again :o I'm set to build a 1/12th scale replica of this classic (wooden) offshore race boat.

http://www.woodyboater.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/64flyer_0004-Copy.jpg

John Smith
12-26-2014, 08:00 AM
My immediate to-build will be a hinged cover for our garbage cans. Not a major project, but it will have to wait till spring. Meanwhile I'm running several designed through my head.

Fitz
12-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Something epoxy? With a transom??

I am not opposed to a project with both. That Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff that shows up around here every so often has always tweaked my fancy. I need a project that will fit into the basement though. Maybe a form for wood and canvas canoes.

The house always needs work.

Rich Jones
12-26-2014, 09:05 AM
You better pay a bit more attention to which number she is..........women can be really picky about little things like that.:d:d:d Wife #1 is still with me! As long as she hears noise coming from my shop, she knows I'm staying out of trouble.

Jim Mahan
12-26-2014, 09:07 AM
After about twelve years of struggling to keep a nice lawn in the backyard under the mighty oak, and finally succumbing with the help of the draught, I have managed to have to have the backyard go completely to bone-dry packed dust with an in-ground sprinkler system. So the backyard project for the spring is to hardscape the whole thing with things like decomposed granite walkways with river cobble raised beds and some border beds for succulents and draught and shade (and oak) loving plants. My plan is to extend the redwood deck from the patio slider about six or eight feet toward the yard, raise the edge of the patio cover roof about 18", leaving it attached to the house where it is and changing the pitch to somewhat flatter, replace the five solid 4"x6" posts that are not well positioned with a set of clad posts, similar to the ones I built on the for the front porch. ANd then, a new redwood deck, offset near the middle of the yard, cantilevered over a pond, and (if I can pull this off) suspended on about forty feet of steel cable with a winch, so the 8' or 10' square deck will hang the equivalent of a few steps off the grade, and after being served and seated, I can raise the deck up off the ground a yard or two and set the thing into a gentle swing. I'm thinking that, If I don't kill the heritage oak, it can earn its keep holding up my dinner deck, and the weight plus the long radius of the pendulum will make the arc very flat, and the thing should swing in just very slightly lessening strokes for a good long time. The pond will have a deep end, half under the deck and half exposed so that there is a large well of temperature stable water for whatever fauna ends up there, but steep and deep enough that the dogs won't chase any fish or turtles under the deck. I intend to keep the yard with a handmade from nature sort of look with one or two large enough to sit on stones, and then at the end of the pond away from deep end and the deck, I intend to install a semi-formal fountain with a pump to recycle the water and keep it aerated and keep the temperature averaged between the shallow and the deep water.
And half a dozen already begun woodwork projects, big and small, to finish. And then there's the boat. I still need to replace the bowsprit before I can go sailing again next year. But mostly I'll be busy helping HER with the small heirs. If I never got to finish another woodwork project because I was too busy watching the g'kids, it would be okay.

Gerarddm
12-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Priority #1 will be to finish my bloody boat.

Then a line of boxes. Then a coffee table styled after a George Nakashima piece.

Jim Mahan
12-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Then a coffee table styled after a George Nakashima piece.

Have you got a special slab of something for that already? I would like to see how that comes out.

Spin_Drift
12-26-2014, 10:15 AM
In January, tiling the new bathroom wall and finishing the other walls there. Haven't firmly decided yet, what they will be like .. Helping husband to build the new kitchen, counters and cabinets etc.

My garden was totally destroyed by heavy equipment a few weeks ago. Top soil is in the bottom and clay is on the top. I'm getting a few dump trucks of topsoil brought in and spread over there this spring. Then the fun starts with the landscaping and planting. It will be a lot of work but I look forward to it after the top soil is down.

bob winter
12-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I would very much like to get my work area finished but I guess time will tell. The eyes are slowly loosing the battle with AMD and the sense of balance is not great but I should be able to get it done. At the moment, I can't find much of anything in that damn mess so I buy things that I know I already have. I don't envy my son the job sorting things out when I finally croak. Just hope he as enough wits about him to tell the good stuff from the trash.

JimD
12-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Nothing til spring. Then fix up the old FG boat I picked up with some nice wooden bits.

John How
12-26-2014, 10:32 AM
A new cover for Margie/Lou and my sailing skills. I don't have a shop anymore so I think my boat building days are over for anything larger than a small canoe or kayak.

Todd D
12-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Looks like this years project will be a new deck.....for the house. The old one is 20 years old and showing its age. I did the deck on the boat over the last two years. No major boat projects planned since I just completely rebuilt the engine room, cockpit and drive train on my sailboat.

Reynard38
12-26-2014, 10:53 AM
The interior on my Rambler 23.

ron ll
12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
I've got a 70 year old wooden boat. If experience is any guide, it will make that decision for me.

Paul Pless
12-26-2014, 11:10 AM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141226_101029527_zps2ef23f58.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/PaulPless/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141226_101029527_zps2ef23f58.jpg.html)

That's hard maple atop walnut sitting in my shop. Gonna build a traditional joiner's bench 24 x 96 - laminated maple top over a walnut base. To the left of the 'bench' is my long suffering wife's hardwood wood floor. . .

Gerarddm
12-26-2014, 11:59 AM
. Have you got a special slab of something for that already? I would like to see how that comes out.

Not yet, but I have my eyes peeled for some black walnut.