PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU value most?

David G
12-21-2014, 09:49 PM
There are lots of things I value. That 'most' thing makes it hard. Choices. Choices --

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10349088_10152957095974255_8625344633050033308_n.j pg?oh=d7f82a88ca2f4152651eb318ddb7e479&oe=54FD572A&__gda__=1430449023_f2b962ab9de974c6863fb60e56da98a 1

Bob Adams
12-22-2014, 06:26 AM
I was thinking this thread would be a seasonal reflection on things held dear. Then I find a troll. Pity.

Curtism
12-22-2014, 06:45 AM
While the cartoon may make a valid criticism, particularly at this time of year, the topic is unseasonably worn.

Paul Pless
12-22-2014, 06:47 AM
I was thinking this thread would be a seasonal reflection on things held dear. Then I find a troll. Pity.yeah, its like david has gone over the edge, pity indeed. . .

Dannybb55
12-22-2014, 06:49 AM
My tools, they have helped me put food on our table and s roof over our head for many years. If the house was on fire, that would be the first thing that I would rescue.,

Nicholas Scheuer
12-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Not a troll at all. Hey, if guns are more important to you than your family, or your boat (remember who the sponsor is, people) then have the guts to post such.

slug
12-22-2014, 07:50 AM
What do I value most ? Lets see...one two and three are....

First , my reading glasses...and then after that...my health .....and then after that, the health of the people around me.

TomF
12-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Without question, my family. The Daughter's home from grad school, and this place feels complete again.

I actually feel mixed about that. I wish I could say I love God best, or understand in my heart what I do in my head - that *everything* is family to me. But I'm not an old enough soul for that.

Jim Mahan
12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Is the question restricted to material things? I have to say that the most valuable thing to me is the knowlege that I and my Father and my Brother (everyone) are one, and nothing on Earth can change that. For everything else, everything that will , sooner or later, go away, burn down, flame out, run down, wear out, get stolen, broken or rust away to nothing, I have the perfect certainty (faith, baby) that Spirit endures. What makes my family and me and everyone else, who and what we are, is secure forever, regardless of what happens here, in the meantime.

Jim Mahan
12-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Read Tom's post after I poked up mine.

In all honesty, I guess I have to say, that I value my (and my family's) comfort most. If it's wet, I want to get dry, if it's hot, I want to be somewhere cooler, if I have nausea, I want to die and get it all over with.

Jim Mahan
12-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Suppose you were sitting in your car, in your driveway with the motor running, getting ready for the morning commute, and a stranger shows up at your car's window and points a gun at you. You're probably going to lose something, your car, your health or your life, or maybe he's going into the house and... what do you hope he doesn't get, if you live?

DMillet
12-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Suppose you were sitting in your car, in your driveway with the motor running, getting ready for the morning commute, and a stranger shows up at your car's window and points a gun at you. You're probably going to lose something, your car, your health or your life, or maybe he's going into the house and... what do you hope he doesn't get, if you live?

There's nothing he can't have. When my wife died I realized I lost everything of value. My kids are all I have left that really mean anything to me.

Rum_Pirate
12-22-2014, 10:09 AM
My wife and children, then me.

Rum_Pirate
12-22-2014, 10:13 AM

My wife and children.
The house and its contents are possessions. Some possessions sentimental (e.g. photographs) but nothing that I would be willing to die or be injured for.
I could rebuild the house.

John Smith
12-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Interesting question. At the moment, I'd like better health. Don't take good health for granted. eventually all will, more than likely, run into health issues the prevent them from doing many things they enjoy doing.

I love my wife. I love my family. Every day I wish I felt better. And I'm not all that bad off healthwise. Sure takes a lot of fun out of a lot of things.

Jim Mahan
12-22-2014, 10:49 AM
In a more secular vein, what I am grateful for, value most, is all of the special facts that add up to the fact that we're here having this conversation. That the moon is the right mass and distance from us to help us regulate necessary ocean rhythms, that the sun is just the right type of star in just the right part of it's long duration, that the distribution of the mass of astronomical objects, and dark matter, and the rest of the knowable universe, has rendered this little solar system with just the right sorts of gravitational influences and clues about our genesis, and maybe our significance, and that we keep birthing people capable of observing and thinking about and discoursing on the nature of all that. So, science, I'm grateful for science. Oh, and art. Because that is what we are doing with our brief little whisper of contribution to this venerable thing we are part of, a ripple on the ocean. No matter how you look at it, we are not alone.

Chris Coose
12-22-2014, 11:25 AM
I quit drinking 27 years ago, today at precisely 7PM. All else has worked out beautifully because of the value I've placed on that unmerited gift.

ron ll
12-22-2014, 11:40 AM
The ability to reason.

RonW
12-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I never leave home without safely locking up my most prized possessions...

http://photo.oempromo.com/Prod_430/Obama-Bobble-Head-Doll_29829048.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDQ2/z/5yAAAOxyNa9SKM5s/$T2eC16R,!)4FIZr9Jbs9BSKM5ry+G!~~60_35.JPG

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzu0uPqm7p4jYmdnFyyiqiWM83SufQV UOhEuGqUa3S9MCkz-QbEw

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412LgV2wliL._SY300_.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGRaI9JDelkn3AMNgfO2XTNtdSgnivA yaDIromjLpIlaZFCROHbaBvVsgZ

Gerarddm
12-22-2014, 11:54 AM
My health and my daughter.

David G
12-22-2014, 11:55 AM
I was thinking this thread would be a seasonal reflection on things held dear. Then I find a troll. Pity.

yeah, its like david has gone over the edge, pity indeed. . .

You can, of course, take it as a troll. Or you can take it as an opportunity to examine your life and your values. Choice is yours. The choice you make says something about you.

bobbys
12-22-2014, 11:55 AM
pathetic someone would take a serious subject and troll with it.

Dannybb55
12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I don't count people as things.

varadero
12-22-2014, 12:32 PM
One word. Today.....

Dan McCosh
12-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Suppose you were sitting in your car, in your driveway with the motor running, getting ready for the morning commute, and a stranger shows up at your car's window and points a gun at you. You're probably going to lose something, your car, your health or your life, or maybe he's going into the house and... what do you hope he doesn't get, if you live? The old Jack Benny setup. A guy points a gun at him. "Your money or your life." He doesn't move. "Your money or your life," the gunman repeats.
"I'm thinking," Benny says.

Rum_Pirate
12-22-2014, 12:45 PM
I quit drinking 27 years ago, today at precisely 7PM. All else has worked out beautifully because of the value I've placed on that unmerited gift.
Congratulations. Keep on going.