PDA

View Full Version : Drill presses

ishmael
09-05-2003, 12:11 PM
I just looked at a drill press. It's a Craftman, but looks solidly made. All cast iron, floor model, multi-speed, mortising attachment, auxiliarly tilting table. The one thing that seems odd is that the spindle was sprung down. In other words, you lift the spindle and it comes down under spring pressure.

Seemed like a solid tool. He's asking 250. Whatcha think?

ishmael
I just looked at a drill press. It's a Craftman, but looks solidly made. All cast iron, floor model, multi-speed, mortising attachment, auxiliarly tilting table. The one thing that seems odd is that the spindle was sprung down. In other words, you lift the spindle and it comes down under spring pressure.

ishmael

nedL
09-05-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm sure Dave will know, but I think that may be easily changed by removing the spricg & turning it around. I know it used to be pretty easy to change the return tension by adjusting the spring.

nedL
I'm sure Dave will know, but I think that may be easily changed by removing the spricg & turning it around. I know it used to be pretty easy to change the return tension by adjusting the spring.

nedL

Dave Fleming
09-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Quill return spring should be set up to return quill ( the middle shaft with the Jacobs chuck attached ) to full retract against the stop collar in the head.

Usually there is a housing on the left side facing the head for it. Just a clock type spring in there, someone must have either had a purpose for afixing it that way or in ignorance re-installed it like that.

15 inch DPs have mostly 4 speeds determined by what pulleys the belt is on. Motor mount has some sort of device for releasing tension and permitting change. For most woodworking operations the lowest speed say 350 up to 500 RPM is fine for drills and bits from 1/4 inch up. If smaller ones are to be used sometimes it is best to get a smaller Jacobs chuck fitted on a shaft to install in the existing chuck and then increase belt speed. I have found with used DPs that in the chucks, usually 1/2 inch, the jaws become worn just enough to prevent a good grip on smaller drill bits.

Dave Fleming
Quill return spring should be set up to return quill ( the middle shaft with the Jacobs chuck attached ) to full retract against the stop collar in the head.

Usually there is a housing on the left side facing the head for it. Just a clock type spring in there, someone must have either had a purpose for afixing it that way or in ignorance re-installed it like that.

15 inch DPs have mostly 4 speeds determined by what pulleys the belt is on. Motor mount has some sort of device for releasing tension and permitting change. For most woodworking operations the lowest speed say 350 up to 500 RPM is fine for drills and bits from 1/4 inch up. If smaller ones are to be used sometimes it is best to get a smaller Jacobs chuck fitted on a shaft to install in the existing chuck and then increase belt speed. I have found with used DPs that in the chucks, usually 1/2 inch, the jaws become worn just enough to prevent a good grip on smaller drill bits.

Dave Fleming