PDA

View Full Version : Oselver

Ivan N
12-21-2003, 06:00 PM
I am looking for plans , knowhow , experence , addvice anyone has building this type boat?I would like to build one.

Meerkat
12-21-2003, 06:55 PM
You are aware of the WB issue with the article on this type?

I think there has been much discussion of this boat type in "Designs/Plans", along with the related faering (sp?). In fact if you go over to the Designs/Plans section and hit "search" in the upper right corner, then search on "Oselver", it brings up 5 matches.

Best of luck! smile.gif

imported_Steven Bauer
12-21-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm building Iain Oughtred's Elf - a 15' mini Faering - with my son. It's a glued lapstreke version of a Norwegian faering. I hear that Iain has a newly designed bigger sister - 18' I think.

Search buiding/repair and designs for Elf or faering for more info.

Another nice design is Joel White's Shearwater at 16'. Forumite Gert has built one of them.

And, most importantly, get your hands on the last two issues of Maritime Life and Traditions magazine! Great in depth articles on Faerings. Definitely must read stuff if you are interested in these boats.

Steven

frank undewood
12-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Steven Bauer. Are you building the Elf from scratch or using a kit? I have been in touch with Classic Boat Kits, www,cyberus.ca/~canoe regarding their kit. Looks like about $2100.00 plus shipping from Canada to west coast. Are the plans complete enough to work the forms, templates etc?

imported_Steven Bauer
12-21-2003, 11:02 PM
The plans are very complete. There is a sheet with full sized drawings of the molds and one with full size drawings of the stems and frames. They cost $100 and Iain sent them very promptly. I have a woodstove installed out in the garage and we'll be starting the planking after the holidays. Pictures will follow.

Steven

[ 12-21-2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Steven.Bauer ]

Meerkat
12-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Frank; I suggest that getting a copy of Ian Oughtred's catalog would provide you with a lot of interesting designs to ponder! He has a fair number of designs along the lines of "Elf". If you have a copy of Woodenboat Magazine, I believe his advert runs in there, at least from time to time. Otherwise, I'm sure someone on the forum can provide his address. He's not online, even for email.

Wild Dingo
12-21-2003, 11:58 PM
Two for original Norse versions...

Axel Gustaffson (http://surf.to/boat.design/)

Bertil Andersson (http://www.batritningar.se/se/index_se.htm)

I dont know how detailed the plans are as Ive not ordered any yet :rolleyes: ...but from emails Ive had from both they are fairly thorough in what they send and the Euro coversion aint so bad either :cool:

And one for ply versions...
Iain Ougtred at Duckflats (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/designers.php) in Australia which makes them cost effective from up there... ie: read all three are cheep as chips with the price conversions ;)

Email them... all three are prompt to respond and as helpfull as all get out! :cool:

Have a good one fellas! :cool:
Take it easy
Shane