PDA

View Full Version : still looking for that bronze anchor windlass

peter s
12-26-2000, 10:10 PM
Hello all....can anyone tell me where to find a bronze manual anchor windlass.I know about the one from ABI ,but is there anything else out there ....new not secondhand ? Yes ,this is the second time I've posted this query but I'm still looking,thanks all.

peter s
Hello all....can anyone tell me where to find a bronze manual anchor windlass.I know about the one from ABI ,but is there anything else out there ....new not secondhand ? Yes ,this is the second time I've posted this query but I'm still looking,thanks all.

peter s

Ed Nye
12-27-2000, 01:46 PM
Well, a couple of years ago, I ordered a Murry through Doc Freeman's in Seattle (think they advertise in WB). Since I wanted it bronze (not plated) they had to make it, but, it did show up in a couple of months. Worth waiting for real pretty.
Ed

Ed Nye
Well, a couple of years ago, I ordered a Murry through Doc Freeman's in Seattle (think they advertise in WB). Since I wanted it bronze (not plated) they had to make it, but, it did show up in a couple of months. Worth waiting for real pretty.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

Bob Cleek
12-27-2000, 03:12 PM
Yes, there is. Didn't we tell you about Lunenberg Foundry, or was that some other guy? LOL Their website used to be: http://www.tallships.istar.ca/life/cat/index.shtml They have some nice old fashioned bit windlasses, all of bronze. All sorts of hard to find stuff. For a price, as usual.

Bob Cleek
Yes, there is. Didn't we tell you about Lunenberg Foundry, or was that some other guy? LOL Their website used to be: http://www.tallships.istar.ca/life/cat/index.shtml They have some nice old fashioned bit windlasses, all of bronze. All sorts of hard to find stuff. For a price, as usual.

Bob Cleek

Jamie Hascall
12-27-2000, 04:17 PM
Funny, I'm still looking for my bronze anchor windlass too. Last August, while I had it off the boat to repay the deck seams, some joker took a liking to it and wandered off with it. So if anyone sees a well patinated bronze ABI windlass with a very homemade looking 1/8" thick washer under the wildcat, please drop me a line. I've going to have to find another before the mext season or that 100' of chain I put on my ground tackle is pretty useless.

BTW, I'll check with Doc Freemans and see if they have anything appropriate. What size chain were you looking to use?

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall
Funny, I'm still looking for my bronze anchor windlass too. Last August, while I had it off the boat to repay the deck seams, some joker took a liking to it and wandered off with it. So if anyone sees a well patinated bronze ABI windlass with a very homemade looking 1/8" thick washer under the wildcat, please drop me a line. I've going to have to find another before the mext season or that 100' of chain I put on my ground tackle is pretty useless.

BTW, I'll check with Doc Freemans and see if they have anything appropriate. What size chain were you looking to use?

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Thanks,
Jamie

rbgarr
12-27-2000, 06:20 PM
FWIW- There's a bronze Herreshoff capstan on eBay. The owner has listed it numerous times and never had a bid at his starting price. He may be open to dickering or a trade.

rbgarr
FWIW- There's a bronze Herreshoff capstan on eBay. The owner has listed it numerous times and never had a bid at his starting price. He may be open to dickering or a trade.

rbgarr

Wilson Fitt
12-28-2000, 10:55 AM
Call Bill Page in Cushing Maine. He has an amazing collection of old fashioned boat gear and if he doesen't have anything there may be able to point you in the right direction.

Wilson Fitt
Call Bill Page in Cushing Maine. He has an amazing collection of old fashioned boat gear and if he doesen't have anything there may be able to point you in the right direction.

Wilson Fitt

peter s
12-28-2000, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the help. Ed ,I'll try Doc Freemans,thanks Bob ,I did take your advice last time and had a look at the Lunenberg site......it's good stuff if kind of expensive [to be expected if it's any good and not made in China],but personally speaking it's a bit heavy .....probably perfect for hard use on a fishing boat but a bit heavy for my needs.If there's any more advice out there......?

peter s
Thanks for the help. Ed ,I'll try Doc Freemans,thanks Bob ,I did take your advice last time and had a look at the Lunenberg site......it's good stuff if kind of expensive [to be expected if it's any good and not made in China],but personally speaking it's a bit heavy .....probably perfect for hard use on a fishing boat but a bit heavy for my needs.If there's any more advice out there......?

peter s

Ed Nye
12-28-2000, 07:11 PM
Peter, I just took a look at where you are located. My Murry winch was made in Tasmania. Sure doesn't make much sense to get an Australian made product in the US. There has to be someone closer to you that can order/sells Murry products.
Ed

Ed Nye
Peter, I just took a look at where you are located. My Murry winch was made in Tasmania. Sure doesn't make much sense to get an Australian made product in the US. There has to be someone closer to you that can order/sells Murry products.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

peter s
01-01-2001, 05:38 AM
Ed.....I thought Murray only made sheet winches,do you have an anchor windlass by them? thanks, Peter Sibley

peter s
Ed.....I thought Murray only made sheet winches,do you have an anchor windlass by them? thanks, Peter Sibley

peter s

Ed Nye
01-01-2001, 09:01 PM
Yep, they make a whole line of different windlasses (sp?). Mine is a manual, combined rope and chain gypsy for 1/4 high test. You can order the gypsy you want, size you want, etc, etc. I did not want a plated windlass and Murry offered to make it for me in bronze. Same high standards as the sheet winches.
Ed

Ed Nye
Yep, they make a whole line of different windlasses (sp?). Mine is a manual, combined rope and chain gypsy for 1/4 high test. You can order the gypsy you want, size you want, etc, etc. I did not want a plated windlass and Murry offered to make it for me in bronze. Same high standards as the sheet winches.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

peter s
01-03-2001, 06:08 AM
Thanks Ed ,I went looking for Murray winches on Yahoo,I couldn't find a website for Murray themselves but I did find a New Zealand online shop advertising them [theyr'e made in NZ !] I made an enquiry and I'm waiting for a response.....they're probably closed for Christmas/New Year.Can you tell me what your windlass cost in US$ Ed?Did you you buy it recently?Thanks again ,Peter.

peter s
Thanks Ed ,I went looking for Murray winches on Yahoo,I couldn't find a website for Murray themselves but I did find a New Zealand online shop advertising them [theyr'e made in NZ !] I made an enquiry and I'm waiting for a response.....they're probably closed for Christmas/New Year.Can you tell me what your windlass cost in US$ Ed?Did you you buy it recently?Thanks again ,Peter.

peter s

Ed Nye
01-04-2001, 05:20 PM
Peter,
It was a couple of years ago. I think it was about $700 US. I have the paper work on the boat, I check the price and get the model # for you. Ed

Ed Nye
Peter,
It was a couple of years ago. I think it was about $700 US. I have the paper work on the boat, I check the price and get the model # for you. Ed

Ed Nye
Peter,

Ed Nye
01-06-2001, 07:45 PM
Peter,
Woops, Did I get ever get my information wrong! When I was at the boat I got the winch paperwork. My winch was made by John Muir, not Murry. Like I said, I wanted bronze and had them make it up for me since almost everything is plated now. Sorry for any confusion. They are:
Muir Engineering PTY. LTD.
100 Broens Road, Kingston
Tasmaina, Australia, 7050

Mine is a model VM 500. I has a very low profile and uses a combination rope/chain gypsy. They make a full line of manual and electric winches.
Again, Sorry for any confusion I caused earlier,
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Nye (edited 01-06-2001).]

Ed Nye
Peter,
Woops, Did I get ever get my information wrong! When I was at the boat I got the winch paperwork. My winch was made by John Muir, not Murry. Like I said, I wanted bronze and had them make it up for me since almost everything is plated now. Sorry for any confusion. They are:

Mine is a model VM 500. I has a very low profile and uses a combination rope/chain gypsy. They make a full line of manual and electric winches.
Ed

Ed Nye
Peter,

Ed