PDA

View Full Version : A thorn in our new budget bill

John Smith
12-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Language snuck into the bill that will keep the government running was noticed by Senator Warren, and she's quite upset, as am I.

In a nutshell, the language put into this bill will repeal the part of Dodd/Frank that forces the banks to separate investments and the government will NOT insure the risky ones.

If this language stays in and this bill passes and the president signs it, Wall Street will have another blank check from the taxpayer. I would think the right would be opposed to another tax payer bailout, but it seems they are the ones who want this language in.

http://thehill.com/regulation/finance/226638-democrats-balking-at-dodd-frank-changes-in-cromnibus

Paul Pless
12-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Does Obama have the guts to become an obstructionist President?

Fwiw, Dodd Frank is a joke.

John Smith
12-11-2014, 10:33 AM
If it's such a joke why do "they" want any of it repealed?

Jim Mahan
12-11-2014, 11:35 AM
... no one knows how this measure got into the bill.

But is still obvious, right? Here's a guess. McConnell and Boehner wrote it on a cocktail napkin while celebrating the stupid.

John Smith
12-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Seems new increased diligence is going to be needed on all bills.

My question is: why the sneaking? Why not openly and honestly present amendments. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be done?

TomF
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM
We similarly have horrible pills inserted into necessary pieces of legislation - usually omnibus budget bills. It's fundamentally antidemocratic, whoever does it. And FWIW, most everyone's done it.

John Smith
12-11-2014, 12:58 PM
This is part of how our government works they didn't teach us.

Ian McColgin
12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Actually they do, or at least used to. We learned about "logrolling" in seventh grade social studies. Some schools, of course, forbid any educaitonal elements that are in any way critical of anything.

xflow7
12-11-2014, 04:30 PM
...no one knows how this measure got into the bill.

I guess it's too much to hope that revisions to the text of bills are done in a revision control system like svn or git.

Blame/Annotate that sumbitch! :)

John Smith
12-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Actually they do, or at least used to. We learned about "logrolling" in seventh grade social studies. Some schools, of course, forbid any educaitonal elements that are in any way critical of anything.

I don't remember: was this stuff in that animated thing about how a bill becomes law?

John Smith
12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure what to expect. I hope some of the add-ons can be subtract-offs before this bill gets passed.

I am not optimistic.

Gerarddm
12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I have given up on Obama. He is spineless.

Sanders/Warren 2016.

elf
12-11-2014, 09:57 PM
You do realize the Regressives put this stuff in at the last minute hoping that the Progressive wing would make a big scene and cause the government shutdown over these items.

Then the Regressives have a great cudget to beat the Democrats with - "guess who shut the government down THIS time? No Us, no we didn't have anything to do with it. It's all the Democrats' fault."

I have to say: I'm amazed at the general lack of political savvy most people on this forum seem to display. If you don't immediately see a Catch 22 when this sort of thing is developing, you really shouldn't even be commenting. This story broke last night. By now you should all have figured out what was going on.

htom
12-12-2014, 12:04 AM
There's also a stinky land swap deal down in Arizona. http://tucson.com/news/apache-tribe-distressed-by-privatization-of-sacred-land/article_c8f9f32c-80c0-11e4-a781-a7334409bcc3.html

htom
12-12-2014, 12:05 AM
I don't remember: was this stuff in that animated thing about how a bill becomes law?

No. That's why the song is only three minutes long. If it was accurate, it would be at least as long as the Wagner Ring Cycle.

bobbys
12-12-2014, 01:17 AM
You do realize the Regressives put this stuff in at the last minute hoping that the Progressive wing would make a big scene and cause the government shutdown over these items.

Then the Regressives have a great cudget to beat the Democrats with - "guess who shut the government down THIS time? No Us, no we didn't have anything to do with it. It's all the Democrats' fault."

I have to say: I'm amazed at the general lack of political savvy most people on this forum seem to display. If you don't immediately see a Catch 22 when this sort of thing is developing, you really shouldn't even be commenting. This story broke last night. By now you should all have figured out what was going on.

Now that Obama and Boehner are as Romeo and Juliet the case republicans are Always fighting obama is by the wayside.

adampet
12-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Now that Obama and Boehner are as Romeo and Juliet the case republicans are Always fighting obama is by the wayside.

Can I get a translation?

Adam

adampet
12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I agree with Emily, we're letting the crooks who almost took the economy down the last time have a do-over and we're going to bail them out again when it goes south!

Adam

skuthorp
12-12-2014, 02:38 PM
If #4 doesn't signify systemic legislative corruption I don't know what does.