PDA

View Full Version : GPS Handhelds

ahc
09-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I'm going to be sailing in Frenchman Bay around Mt. Desert Island and am looking to purchase a GPS handheld.

Anyone have any recommendations?

ahc
Hi,

I'm going to be sailing in Frenchman Bay around Mt. Desert Island and am looking to purchase a GPS handheld.

ahc
Hi,

ahc
09-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info, Donn. It's been a few years since I've had to use one so I haven't kept up with them. I appreciate your pointing out some specifics to look for.

ahc
Thanks for the info, Donn. It's been a few years since I've had to use one so I haven't kept up with them. I appreciate your pointing out some specifics to look for.

ahc

R.I.Singer30
09-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I had a Garmin GPS12 and it worked fine.Rather simple to use and not too expensive.We recently took a 36' sloop to Block Island thru pea soup fog trusting mainly a Garmin handheld.I don't think we would have left that day without it.They are amazing.

I once took mine with me to Vermont and while traveling down the highway it told me exactly how fast I was going ,how far I was from my mooring and how long it would take me to get there if I went as the crow flies. :D

R.I.Singer30
I had a Garmin GPS12 and it worked fine.Rather simple to use and not too expensive.We recently took a 36' sloop to Block Island thru pea soup fog trusting mainly a Garmin handheld.I don't think we would have left that day without it.They are amazing.

I once took mine with me to Vermont and while traveling down the highway it told me exactly how fast I was going ,how far I was from my mooring and how long it would take me to get there if I went as the crow flies. :D

R.I.Singer30

Venchka
09-07-2003, 10:50 PM
A friend of mine in Yarmouth, ME just got a Garmin Map 76. He loves it. It replaced an older Garmin. He loved that too. The word from kaykers and folks who get these things really wet, is that Garmin can take more wet than other brands.

Venchka
A friend of mine in Yarmouth, ME just got a Garmin Map 76. He loves it. It replaced an older Garmin. He loved that too. The word from kaykers and folks who get these things really wet, is that Garmin can take more wet than other brands.

Venchka

DerekW
09-08-2003, 12:21 AM
We have the non-map version of the Garmin 76. It locks in very fast, came with a PC / external power cable, has 'tide tables', was preloaded with a NavAids database. I'm happy.

Check out www.GPSU.co.uk (http://www.GPSU.co.uk) for software to allow even simple GPS units to tie track and point data to scanned map images.

cheers
Derek

DerekW
We have the non-map version of the Garmin 76. It locks in very fast, came with a PC / external power cable, has 'tide tables', was preloaded with a NavAids database. I'm happy.

Check out www.GPSU.co.uk (http://www.GPSU.co.uk) for software to allow even simple GPS units to tie track and point data to scanned map images.

cheers
Derek

DerekW

cheers
Derek

Doug Wood
09-08-2003, 09:08 AM
I have the Garmin GPS 76 and can recommend it. It's a WAAS capable unit, locks fast, has a nice crisp display, is water proof and it floats. Also, it runs up to 16 hours on a pair of AA's. Cool unit.

Doug Wood
I have the Garmin GPS 76 and can recommend it. It's a WAAS capable unit, locks fast, has a nice crisp display, is water proof and it floats. Also, it runs up to 16 hours on a pair of AA's. Cool unit.

Doug Wood

ahc
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks all for the input. I'll ck out Garmin. Appreciate the help.

ahc

ahc

High C
09-08-2003, 10:28 PM
I have the Garmin ETrex Mariner that is exclusive to West Marine. Though it is tiny its display is very sharp and easy to read. It comes with marine navaids in its database and it works great. I really wouldn't care to have a true mapping unit, on a handheld. Just lots of clutter on a tiny screen. There are no roads at sea anyway.

If I were to buy a new unit it might be the Garmin 76 nonmap. I almost bought it instead of the ETrex. It was a tossup for me. They're both great units.

High C
I have the Garmin ETrex Mariner that is exclusive to West Marine. Though it is tiny its display is very sharp and easy to read. It comes with marine navaids in its database and it works great. I really wouldn't care to have a true mapping unit, on a handheld. Just lots of clutter on a tiny screen. There are no roads at sea anyway.

If I were to buy a new unit it might be the Garmin 76 nonmap. I almost bought it instead of the ETrex. It was a tossup for me. They're both great units.

High C