PDA

View Full Version : oar locks

gert
04-02-2001, 09:09 AM
I picked up some what I asume are bronze horn type oar locks and side mount sockets at a marine recycling store called Popeye"s in North Vancouver; the oar locks have the letters CW and the # 1 cast into them. What is the signifigance of this (if any)?

gert
I picked up some what I asume are bronze horn type oar locks and side mount sockets at a marine recycling store called Popeye"s in North Vancouver; the oar locks have the letters CW and the # 1 cast into them. What is the signifigance of this (if any)?

gert

Scott Rosen
04-02-2001, 09:35 AM
The stamp WC usually denotes Wilcox-Crittendon, which is a manufacturer of bronze fittings. The #1 probably refers to the size.

Scott Rosen
The stamp WC usually denotes Wilcox-Crittendon, which is a manufacturer of bronze fittings. The #1 probably refers to the size.

Scott Rosen

gert
04-02-2001, 04:34 PM
Of course, they would have to come in different sizes. Now that I own a pair of #1 size, how do you tell what size you need? My oars will be 7"-9" long. Or better yet how much slack is there where the oars meet the locks? Is Willcox a good brand?

[This message has been edited by gert (edited 04-02-2001).]

gert
Of course, they would have to come in different sizes. Now that I own a pair of #1 size, how do you tell what size you need? My oars will be 7"-9" long. Or better yet how much slack is there where the oars meet the locks? Is Willcox a good brand?

gert

Steve Lansdowne
04-02-2001, 08:47 PM
The brand is fine - somewhat of a standard, as far as I know. The size, I believe, refers to the diameter of the oar shaft that they are designed for, not to the length of the oar.

Steve Lansdowne
The brand is fine - somewhat of a standard, as far as I know. The size, I believe, refers to the diameter of the oar shaft that they are designed for, not to the length of the oar.

Steve Lansdowne

Yanis Abols
04-03-2001, 06:44 AM
There probably is some kind of standardization of oarlock sizes as J. Gardner, for example, specifies n 1 oarlock plates for his gunning dory, which I am building. I would be glad to know what size #1 stands for.
Regards,
Y. Abols

Yanis Abols
There probably is some kind of standardization of oarlock sizes as J. Gardner, for example, specifies n 1 oarlock plates for his gunning dory, which I am building. I would be glad to know what size #1 stands for.
Regards,
Y. Abols

Yanis Abols
Regards,
Y. Abols

Paul Reagan
04-04-2001, 08:22 AM
There are two common sizes in bronze oarlocks. #0 is 2" across in the oar area and #1 is 2 1/4" across. There are also #1 1/2 which are 2 3/8" across. #2 were about 3" across, made only in galvanized, and are generally no longer available. The size #0 are avalable only in round locks. The size #1 are the most common and are made by Perko and Wilcox-Crittenden, as are the #0. #1 1/2 are available only from Shaw & Tenney. Also, in reply to Gert's question, Wilcox-Crittenden is a company started in 1847 and was the bellwether for years up to the mid 1990's when they ran into problems with the Connecticut EPA. They were forced to shut down and bought a foundry in Costa Rica. The quality from that foundry was inconsistent and they lost many of their long time customers. About 1997 the sold the company and the new owners sought out foundries to whom they could sub-contract their needs. It is taking some time, but they seem to be on the right track to once again supply high quality goods.

Paul Reagan
There are two common sizes in bronze oarlocks. #0 is 2" across in the oar area and #1 is 2 1/4" across. There are also #1 1/2 which are 2 3/8" across. #2 were about 3" across, made only in galvanized, and are generally no longer available. The size #0 are avalable only in round locks. The size #1 are the most common and are made by Perko and Wilcox-Crittenden, as are the #0. #1 1/2 are available only from Shaw & Tenney. Also, in reply to Gert's question, Wilcox-Crittenden is a company started in 1847 and was the bellwether for years up to the mid 1990's when they ran into problems with the Connecticut EPA. They were forced to shut down and bought a foundry in Costa Rica. The quality from that foundry was inconsistent and they lost many of their long time customers. About 1997 the sold the company and the new owners sought out foundries to whom they could sub-contract their needs. It is taking some time, but they seem to be on the right track to once again supply high quality goods.

Paul Reagan

Alan D. Hyde
04-09-2001, 04:25 PM
A bellwether is a castrated ram: what a gelding is to horses, a wether is to sheep.

Since wethers tend to be tame and accomodating, a bell is placed on one, that the herd may be induced to follow him (it).

Just an agricultural footnote...

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan D. Hyde (edited 04-09-2001).]

Alan D. Hyde
A bellwether is a castrated ram: what a gelding is to horses, a wether is to sheep.

Since wethers tend to be tame and accomodating, a bell is placed on one, that the herd may be induced to follow him (it).

Alan

Alan D. Hyde

Alan

Mike in SC
04-11-2001, 03:27 PM
On the same subject-for anyone looking for a really good oarlock- I would recommend the "Davis" type. I just found you can get them through Hamilton Marine in Searsport ME

Mike in SC
On the same subject-for anyone looking for a really good oarlock- I would recommend the "Davis" type. I just found you can get them through Hamilton Marine in Searsport ME

Mike in SC