PDA

View Full Version : Truthiness: CNN; NBC; Fox

David G
12-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Guess which one came out the most reliable. And the least.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/09/analysis-over-half-of-all-statements-made-on-fox-news-are-false/

Canoeyawl
12-02-2014, 12:24 AM
"A new analysis by PunditFact found that of every statement made by a Fox News host or guest, over half of them were flat-out false. What’s more, only a measly 8% could be considered completely “true.”

In other words, a fancy review of hundreds of hours of video confirmed what many who watch Fox News with any regularity already know: Fox News lies. A lot. Like all the time."

"For example, a PublicMind survey out of Fairleigh Dickinson University found that “people who said they consumed no news” fared better on a current events questionnaire than people who had been using Fox News to find out what was going on in the world. Let that sink in for a moment. People who categorically don’t watch the news know more than people who watch a network whose primary function is ostensibly to relay the news.

Adding insult to injury, it was the only network that ranked below “blind ignorance” the survey. (By the way, the most informed audience was that of NPR.)"

C. Ross
12-02-2014, 12:53 AM
I don't watch any TV news or pundits except when I'm trapped. I find Fox the hardest to take, but you have to actually read the article.

Just barely beating out Fox, statements made on MSNBC/NBC are "true" only 9% of the time. CNN utterances are the cable TV sine qua non, since they are true 20% of the time. Or, four lies for every truth.

All in all:

Right now, you can look at the NBC/MSNBC file and see how that network’s pundits and on-air talent stand. For instance, 46 percent of the claims made by NBC and MSNBC pundits and on-air personalities have been rated Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire.

At FOX and Fox News Channel, that same number is 60 percent. At CNN, it’s 18 percent.

I have a hard time distinguishing between a channel that's lies 46% versus 60% of the time.

Gerarddm
12-02-2014, 01:40 AM
14% worth.

Waddie
12-02-2014, 03:40 AM
They all spin, all the time. Nothing new in that. They each have an audience and each needs to make money. Newspapers are no different; neither is talk radio. And neither are college professors. One old Greek spent a lifetime looking for truth and didn't find it......... or was he looking for an honest man?.... I forget. In any case, he found neither.

regards,
Waddie

skuthorp
12-02-2014, 04:41 AM
As waddie said, they all are first and foremost a business and the imperative is to make money, everything else is subsumed to that. To that end they broadcast what their well researched demographic wants to hear or see. Their customer is not their audience. Their customer is the advertiser.

David G
12-02-2014, 11:12 AM
They all spin, all the time. Nothing new in that. They each have an audience and each needs to make money. Newspapers are no different; neither is talk radio. And neither are college professors. One old Greek spent a lifetime looking for truth and didn't find it......... or was he looking for an honest man?.... I forget. In any case, he found neither.

regards,
Waddie

There's a nugget of truth in there. But mostly this is the typical False Equivalence claim. The fact is: conservatives these day lie. A lot. Some of them do so out of a cynical venality. Some of them because they've been duped by the former. Does that mean that liberals are 'pure as driven snow'. No... that's just silly. But it does mean that - these days at least, all too often - there's truth to the saying: truth has a liberal bias.