PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda to host next America's Cup

S.V. Airlie
12-01-2014, 01:31 AM
WTF!

slug
12-01-2014, 01:40 AM
I read it in a few places. Sounds good. The US west coast is a very unattractive place to hold international sailing event.

Bermudas has clase.

not much free land in Bermuda. Perhaps the old military base will be the host.

Gerarddm
12-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Really? Is there a link somewhere? I am surprised. I would have thought the last go round proved that making it a spectator sport was worthwhile. Costs $$ to get to Bermuda...

slug
12-01-2014, 01:52 AM
They filled the last Americas Cup with off the street spectators by giving out free hot dogs and balloons.

Bermuda is not a balloon and hot dog type of place.

Its a shame that the truly great sailing venues like Newport, Sardinia, the South of England, the west coast of France are not in the running.

S.V. Airlie
12-01-2014, 01:54 AM
Really? Is there a link somewhere? I am surprised. I would have thought the last go round proved that making it a spectator sport was worthwhile. Costs $$ to get to Bermuda...Look at the cup's web site!

S.V. Airlie
12-01-2014, 01:56 AM
San Fran wouldn't give the next cup host(s) the same deal as the last meetings/races held there.

slug
12-01-2014, 02:05 AM
San Fran wouldn't give the next cup host(s) the same deal as the last meetings/races held there.

Obviously.

San Francisco can fill alternative venues, mud wrestling, LGBT marches, ...........they dont need to subsidize a billionaires event.

Bermuda is different...they can only host events that cater to high worth spectators.

Gerarddm
12-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Might as well have returned to Newport.

slug
12-01-2014, 02:14 AM
Newport would be a great place. Unfortunately I dont think they have enough space to house the mega teams.

bringing it back to New Zealand would also be a good choice.

Captain Intrepid
12-01-2014, 03:14 AM
I hear it's going to be a triangular course. ;)

skuthorp
12-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Wow, the whole shooting match, Yachts, tenders and the spectator fleet might just diss…………………….
(I wonder if the insurance premiums will be higher because of the risk?:arg

Stiletto
12-01-2014, 05:12 PM

We would like that!

AnalogKid
12-01-2014, 05:40 PM

We would like that!

Unfortunately the Bermuda location makes that less likely. The NZ government doesn't see it as a high profile location to show off to the world what NZ can do, and so the public funding of the team is under threat. Here's an opinion piece on it:

Dana Johannsen: Team NZ challenge hangs by a thread (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11367163)

Robbie 2
12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't think that the NZ Govt is going to support this in Bermuda.
You can put a case for Publicity/advertising NZ etc on West Coast America...........lots of people can come to see the stands etc and we get lots of tourist visits as a result.
I can't see this being true of Bermuda.............high cost location........very few tourists come here with a Bermuda Passport.
This could potentially be a disaster for Team NZ.

MiddleAgesMan
12-08-2014, 05:23 PM
This guy says he's figured out why it's to be in Bermuda:

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/matthew-sheahan/tax-tv-timings-next-americas-cup-take-place-bermuda/

bamamick
12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
We always discount the thing and then we always get caught up in it when it happens. It'll be the same this time. The idea of Bermuda after the splendid event we had last time seem almost insane, but no doubt there are big reasons tied to big money and someone must be happy. After all, this IS the Golden Gate YC that is defending, right?

Mickey Lake

Sky Blue
12-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Golden Gate YC has always been a small, working-man's kind of yacht club. The story of how the GGYC even got involved with hosting the Cup is a long, unlikely tale that was told as a 3 part front page series in the SF Chronicle.

Oracle's Larry Ellison grew up poor and Jewish in the Midwest and doesn't care for the snooty blue blood chauvinism bit, and as the 3rd richest American, he doesn't need to. He can buy those people many times over.

Larry seemed to have an affinity for the salts at GGYC. One would think that the St. Francis YC, which is membership by invitation only (and is probably the most prestigious club West of NY), would have been the obvious choice to host the event, but it didn't happen.

There was excitement to have the event in the Bay Area, but the relationship between the syndicates and the city soured as the competition drew near, and the scope of the event and the financial commitments from the syndicates were scaled way back. The initial plans called for pier rehabs, a marina, waterfront land deals with new retail projects, the whole bit.

All of that dried up. Rather than a boon to city coffers, the event ended up costing the city tens of millions. It was a bust, and the city was not interested in another go round, and Cup organizers wanted nothing more to do with the city. It was an open secret that the event would not be returning to the Bay Area whether Oracle won or not.

I watched a heat from the public viewing platform before taking in a Giants game and there was a big screen with a live commentator and with hawkers selling everything from premium coffee to beachfront property. The whole thing had a tourist trap feel to it, a kind of a spectacle one would visit to say they'd done it. I wasn't impressed at all.

Some events do not lend themselves well to mass commercialization in pursuit of the almighty dollar. The America's Cup may be one of those events.

Ted Hoppe
12-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Obviously.

San Francisco can fill alternative venues, mud wrestling, LGBT marches, ...........they dont need to subsidize a billionaires event.

Bermuda is different...they can only host events that cater to high worth spectators.

I am disappointed in your comments.

Sailboat racing in San Francisco Bay is the best large scale venue in North America. You cant find a more dramatic cinematic setting either. The facts are Ellison is a greedy SOB who tried to steal 99 year leases for a dollar on the most valuable waterfront on the west coast. The other issue is that he can not throw his weight around in a city that has learned his tricks. he single-handedly has removed the national identity out our the Americas Cup team - and the mythology we came to understand as our cup. IMHO - Larry the radiator repairman really screwed up what we had as the greatest national sailing event. The boat type or technology had nothing to do with his sociopathic legalized pollution of the cup as well as did little to grow a stagnant sport.

Sky Blue
12-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, Ted. But mark me down as hating the boats, too.

Ted Hoppe
12-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, Ted. But mark me down as hating the boats, too.

I was against them too at the beginning. It was when i sailed near them in the bay that i knew it was the right direction for a modern era. Where i was disappointed was the lack of American sailors . That has made me rethink youth sailing programs and got me started on growing new programs.

bamamick
12-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I like the boats, but I don't like Ellison. His idea of sailing as F-1 seems just downright silly to me, and then to expect to sell it as a viable spectator sport? And how will that improve by moving it to Bermuda other than there being prettier water? Is he getting a personal kickback from the tourism board or something?

Ah well. The Star class now has something called the 'Star Sailor's League', with their boats all emblazoned with national flag logos and cash prizes for winning regattas. They still have regattas for chumps like me, and the class will always be special, imo, but the big boys all go sail in these professional circuit events for money, and as silly as it may sound, it actually cheapens things for me. I don't like the idea of people sailing a certain boat because they are getting paid to, and never have. The Star class is better than that. At least it is in my opinion.

Mickey Lake

John Meachen
12-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Its telling that people are calling the event a National event.Surely it has always been International.I do tend to agree that the loss of the nationality requirement for the crew and design/build team has turned it into more of a championship for the best sailors and boosted the earnings of a good number of antipodeans.

The foiling cats were hugely spectacular last time and dragged the image of competitive sailing into the 21st century.The selection of Bermuda for the next event makes sense for all the reasons given.None of which gives me any reason to doubt the popular assessment of Larry Ellison expressed here.