PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day Behavior

Norman Bernstein
11-27-2014, 01:57 PM
A tip, from Teagan Goddard... one that I plan to respect, this afternoon, with my relatives :)

Iíll refrain from linking to the numerous pieces today that give advice on how to win a Thanksgiving dinner political argument with those family members you canít believe share your same heritage.

Instead, my advice is this: donít fight. Enjoy Americaís best holiday!

Sky Blue
11-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Fun, family, football, food. What's not to like!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

bobbys
11-27-2014, 02:14 PM
If my daughter fell asleep watching the Parade why cannot I turn to football?

Bubba L.
11-27-2014, 03:26 PM
It worked for me. I'm with my sister and her family. Brother in law is a racist and bigot in general but I just avoid/let slide that aspect. Had a great dinner that my sister spent the day preparing. Enjoyed the company of all. Looking forward to a nap! I hope everyone had a great day.

Gene

wizbang 13
11-29-2014, 08:33 AM
At the end of the families prayer, I broke into song with"hokey pokey", evryone joined in for "thats what its all about!"
By then , the "edibles"were kicking in.

John Smith
11-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I must confess Thanksgiving has always confused me a bit. Meals that require 6 or 8 burners are prepared on a 4 burner stove. Somehow it is a struggle to have it all ready at some arbitrarily set time. 10 people sit at a table that would be crowded with 8, and the food served doesn't fit on that table.

At some point it is time to eat. Ten minutes later, every one is stuffed. Then the clean-up and the storing of leftovers comes.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of family and good friends having a meal together. I just think we tend to make it overly complex and stressful.

Rob Hazard
11-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Not having family plans this year, we drove into Gainesville and volunteered at a shelter serving dinner to the homeless. As it happened, they didn't really need us to carry food, as they had plenty of volunteers, but we met some really nice people just standing in line. A couple of them had been homeless themselves at some point in their lives.
So we got a bit of an education.
It sure was a better experience than nodding off in front of the TV with my in-laws!

ron ll
11-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Two Thanksgiving dinners (two different days). One home cooked with brother's big family, another with inlaws at a fancy country club. NEITHER had a decent pumpkin pie. So yesterday I went to the store and bought a Mrs. Smith's and baked it myself. (Much prefer Mrs. Smith's to Marie Callender or Sara Lee. )

Sky Blue
11-29-2014, 05:17 PM
The wife this year deseeded, cut in half and then roasted in the oven the pumpkins for the pumpkin pie, which were sugar pie pumpkins grown by our neighbor, and after the roasting, scooped out the flesh and pureed it in the food processor.

I enjoy pumpkin pie as having grown into the taste over the years, but I do not crave it or eat it except at Thanksgiving.

That being said, the "homemade" version we had this year was sublime delicacy and substantially better than a canned filling home-baked pie. A lot of work, but an amazing difference in taste and texture.

wizbang 13
11-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Pumpkin is a staple food in the Caribbean.

bobbys
11-29-2014, 05:49 PM
The wife this year deseeded, cut in half and then roasted in the oven the pumpkins for the pumpkin pie, which were sugar pie pumpkins grown by our neighbor, and after the roasting, scooped out the flesh and pureed it in the food processor.

I enjoy pumpkin pie as having grown into the taste over the years, but I do not crave it or eat it except at Thanksgiving.

That being said, the "homemade" version we had this year was sublime delicacy and substantially better than a canned filling home-baked pie. A lot of work, but an amazing difference in taste and texture.

I read where pumpkin pie filling is actually squash not pumpkin as pumpkin does not taste like pumpkin enough..
This may or not be true but I think I heard it on a cooking show

MiddleAgesMan
11-29-2014, 06:01 PM
There was no arguing at our dinner but there was no shortage of conversation. Unfortunately for me, the wife, and her son, no one was speaking English so we weren't able to participate. There were about a dozen fluent speakers of Vietnamese and no one ever told them it was rude to speak a foreign language around non-foreigners. ;-)

Boston
11-29-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm the last of the Mohicans I guess, the kids all are off doing their own thing so I just ate with some friends down at the local pub. Perfectly peaceful, the regulars and employees. Amazingly its a biker kinda bar but we all get along despite our differences. Its always one of the customers who ends up being the problem. But no customers, on turkey day. We had a great time.

Oh and we didn't coordinate the food very well. One small plate of turkey, one small bowl of gravy, one small plate of stuffing, and maybe 7 or 8 plates of bacon ;-) The dog was it heaven

Bubba L.
11-29-2014, 06:13 PM
At the end of the families prayer, I broke into song with"hokey pokey", evryone joined in for "thats what its all about!"
By then , the "edibles"were kicking in.

The hokey pokey is as good an explanation as any.

I must confess Thanksgiving has always confused me a bit. Meals that require 6 or 8 burners are prepared on a 4 burner stove. Somehow it is a struggle to have it all ready at some arbitrarily set time. 10 people sit at a table that would be crowded with 8, and the food served doesn't fit on that table.

At some point it is time to eat. Ten minutes later, every one is stuffed. Then the clean-up and the storing of leftovers comes.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of family and good friends having a meal together. I just think we tend to make it overly complex and stressful.

I know! Fun isn't it?! :)

As with most, if not all, foods. Natural ingredients carefully prepared just can't be beat.

Gene

Todd D
11-29-2014, 07:37 PM
I succeeded in avoiding my family for the 37th year running. Life is good.

Michael D. Storey
11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I was to Boulder to be with Jesse and Jake. Seems that [SOMEONE!] also invited his mother. A young fella was there, not a relative, who bemoaned, nay, cried that he and his parents could not have a Thanksgiving Dinner together. Whereupon I espied him and sed, "If that woman (nodding to The Boys' mother) and I can have dinner at the same table, all things are possible"
Judith was in Michigan.
Jess & Jakie and I went mountain climbing the next day, my first time in 30 years.
Livin the Dream

Willin'
11-30-2014, 05:47 PM

There are a heap of carbs in pumpkin. How do you keep the staples from getting fat?

Breakaway
11-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Didn't know dat!

Your a local. Share a recipe or three! How about it?

Kevin

Bubba L.
11-30-2014, 10:30 PM
There are a heap of carbs in pumpkin. How do you keep the staples from getting fat?

They have a wicked high metabolism.

Gene

Gerarddm
12-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Nothing like pumpkin pie with Readi-Whip all over it. Later you can spray the Readi-Whip right into your mouth. LOL.

Michael D. Storey
12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Nothing like pumpkin pie with Readi-Whip all over it. Later you can spray the Readi-Whip right into your mouth. LOL.

Ready Whip does not belong on pumpkin pie. It belongs on the night stand.