PDA

View Full Version : Anti-skid deck coating

Henri
03-15-2001, 04:50 PM
Ran into a fellow from Texas who refitted a 60's Piver plywood trimaran. He coated the entire boat exterior with the stuff used to make/spray insitu pick-up truck bed liners, the kicker being he chose the bright yellow construction color. Makes a great deck coating, and you can see this boat for MILES! I asked him how he got the spray equip to the boat (or vice versa) and he said he had a franchise for the stuff/process. When I saw the guy, he was making the passage from TX to the Bahamas.

Henri
Ran into a fellow from Texas who refitted a 60's Piver plywood trimaran. He coated the entire boat exterior with the stuff used to make/spray insitu pick-up truck bed liners, the kicker being he chose the bright yellow construction color. Makes a great deck coating, and you can see this boat for MILES! I asked him how he got the spray equip to the boat (or vice versa) and he said he had a franchise for the stuff/process. When I saw the guy, he was making the passage from TX to the Bahamas.

Henri

Bob Cleek
03-17-2001, 01:10 PM
Well... did he make it to the Bahamas? LOL

Shows to go ya... P.T. Barnum was right! There IS a sucker born every minute.

Extra credit point to any student who can tell us what's wrong with this picture.

Bob Cleek

Extra credit point to any student who can tell us what's wrong with this picture.

Bob Cleek

thechemist
03-17-2001, 06:18 PM
AHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHHHAAAAHAHAHAHHHAHAH

thechemist

thechemist

Henri
03-22-2001, 07:49 AM
Allright, so I so not understand. I know there is an adhesion problem and an intermediary adhesive primer must be used between the epoxyied hull and the bed liner material. So what else is thought to be wrong with this? The boat came into a marina with at least a couple hundred yachts & working boats and it looked outstanding. I thought the guy did a hell of a job refitting an almost direlect older wooden boat.

Henri
Allright, so I so not understand. I know there is an adhesion problem and an intermediary adhesive primer must be used between the epoxyied hull and the bed liner material. So what else is thought to be wrong with this? The boat came into a marina with at least a couple hundred yachts & working boats and it looked outstanding. I thought the guy did a hell of a job refitting an almost direlect older wooden boat.

Henri

casem
03-23-2001, 03:01 PM
I was afraid to admit it before but I also don't exactly see the problem, other than that there are probably better coatings to use. (I have no idea what the insitu bed liner is made of)

casem
I was afraid to admit it before but I also don't exactly see the problem, other than that there are probably better coatings to use. (I have no idea what the insitu bed liner is made of)

casem

Frank Wentzel
03-23-2001, 04:14 PM
I will also join the ranks of the ignorant. Yacht finish it ain't, but the stuff is almost bulletproof. What's wrong with that? After all it is a tri - no matter what advantages they may possess they don't look like "real" boats. But what the hay - it gets you on the water which is the real point of any boat in the first place!

Frank Wentzel
I will also join the ranks of the ignorant. Yacht finish it ain't, but the stuff is almost bulletproof. What's wrong with that? After all it is a tri - no matter what advantages they may possess they don't look like "real" boats. But what the hay - it gets you on the water which is the real point of any boat in the first place!

Frank Wentzel

Dale Harvey
03-24-2001, 08:17 PM
Other than getting bottom paint to stick, sooner or later all exterior coatings have to be renewed. Do you really want to strip this stuff off a hull with a heatgun?

Dale Harvey
Other than getting bottom paint to stick, sooner or later all exterior coatings have to be renewed. Do you really want to strip this stuff off a hull with a heatgun?

Dale Harvey

paladin
03-24-2001, 11:21 PM
Frank Wetzel wrote:
Those Catamarans and tris's were crossing oceans when other folks were trying to clean the insides of their dugouts....and from your comment your idea of stability is 10,000 pounds of iron or lead pulling you toward the center of the earth or the bottom of the sea?
That's alright Frank, we understand, I sail a moohull now also, one hull is cheaper than three.

paladin
Frank Wetzel wrote:
Those Catamarans and tris's were crossing oceans when other folks were trying to clean the insides of their dugouts....and from your comment your idea of stability is 10,000 pounds of iron or lead pulling you toward the center of the earth or the bottom of the sea?
That's alright Frank, we understand, I sail a moohull now also, one hull is cheaper than three.

paladin
Frank Wetzel wrote: