PDA

View Full Version : Ad in WoodenBoat.com

Reynard38
11-18-2014, 01:59 PM
If you place and pay for an ad for a boat for sale on Wooden Boats website it is permissible to mention this on the forum?

outofthenorm
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
If the rules don't allow it, I think they should. Would be rare enough to be acceptable IMO

- Norm

Reynard38
11-18-2014, 03:56 PM
I'll see if the moderator chimes in on this one.
Don't want to step on any toes.
I would not even bring it up if it was advertised elsewhere.

Tom@NC
11-18-2014, 03:56 PM
The fourth rule on the list that we all agreed to abide by says no.
I hope that you sell your item and will check for it.

Tom

Larks
11-18-2014, 06:31 PM
If the rules don't allow it, I think they should. Would be rare enough to be acceptable IMO

- Norm

Agreed, surely it isn't advertising on the forum but merely directing people to the add and promoting an element of the Wooden Boat web site.

The Bigfella
11-18-2014, 06:42 PM
I find it interesting to look through the ads on the site

Like this one

http://www.woodenboat.com/herreshoff-coquina-0

http://www.woodenboat.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/classifieds/image_9.jpg?itok=JnAeNFuX

Larks
11-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Oh.... very nice!!!

Reynard38
11-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Just got a response to my ad on Woodenboat.com. It reads suspiciously like the sender is Nigerian.

SEAN H
11-30-2014, 05:20 PM
"Just got a response to my ad on Woodenboat.com. It reads suspiciously like the sender is Nigerian."

How fortunate for you. He probably has a boat load of ill-gotten gains that he needs to move offshore; before his cousins in the revenue service and the police become aware of them.

Thad
11-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Scam more than likely.

upchurchmr
11-30-2014, 06:52 PM
It that a realistic price?

I don't know that market, and it look real nice for that type of boat, but I can't imagine paying that much.

rbgarr
11-30-2014, 11:02 PM
If you place and pay for an ad for a boat for sale on Wooden Boats website it is permissible to mention this on the forum?

Did you get an definitive answer (a PM maybe) to your question from Scot or anyone at WB?

Reynard38
12-01-2014, 11:47 AM
It that a realistic price?

I don't know that market, and it look real nice for that type of boat, but I can't imagine paying that much.

There are a couple on Yachtworld priced higher. One doesn't include a trailer.

Just recieved another suspicious email.
No negotiating, just wants to send a cashiers check.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. :)

Reynard38
12-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Did you get an definitive answer (a PM maybe) to your question from Scot or anyone at WB?

Have not scene one.

eastern270
12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I just posted a question in the miscellaneous section of the forum about 30 minutes ago. I have a boat for sale also listed in the magazine and get more scam type email then legit. I actually copy and pasted the emails for other to see. Mine came from London and The United Arab Emirates. They just can't wait to send checks for a boat sight unseen. I have actually found EBAY to be a little better as far as weeding out the scam artists. It really stinks especially when your paying for the monthly ad. Good Luck.http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?185136-advice-with-selling-a-boat

Dan Payne
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
The Forum is provided by this fine publication to us, the customers. We buy the magazine and the products of the advertisers who's ads make it possible.
If you inform fellow forum-ites of your ad for sale, and not in the format of a classified (no details of price or description) I'm sure there would be no objection.

Reynard38
12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Just got another "Nigerian" email

This guy must still be an apprentice;

Hello seller,I am interested in ur item,Do u still have it available for sale?Email me at luketerry539@yahoo.com or text me Regard"

Keep at it kid, you'll get there!

I have sold numerous cars and motorcycles on Craigslist and Ebay since 2000. I have NEVER gotten the volume of scam emails I have recieved via the Woodenboat ad.
I had no idea that Woodenboat was SO popular in Nigeria. It must be a lot like Maine! :)

John How
12-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I recently sold a small pooduck skiff and trailer via Craigslist, I think it shows better to your local audience and no scammers tried either. Mayhaps you've already done that as well. Good luck

SBrookman
12-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I've told them that I'd only accept gold bullion, no cashiers checks. That's ended the conversation every time...so far

mcdenny
12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Just got a response to my ad on Woodenboat.com. It reads suspiciously like the sender is Nigerian.

I got a similar response from my WB ad. I thought maybe, just maybe, it was legit as WB must be one of the more obscure interweb want ad sites. Most scams are obvious with the scammer trying to reel in the sucker too soon.

This guy expressed interest over time, negotiated down the price, accepted my offer then left me hanging until I had to follow up with him. Only then did he say he was sending a check for more than the deposit and I should forward the overage to his surveyor who would then come inspect the boat.

If they won't talk on the phone its a scam.

Rapelapente
12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Lot of serious boat ads on the Wooden Boat site!
I've found my next one !
For when I'll be too old to single hand my Anthéa Y:o:

http://www.woodenboat.com/jerry-land-1970-alaskan-46

Reynard38
12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I got a similar response from my WB ad.

If they won't talk on the phone its a scam.

Good litmus test, thanks.

kc8pql
12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
This has been going on in the classifieds in all the major boat mags for years. It's not just a WB problem.

Reynard38
12-06-2014, 09:03 AM
I've decided to place the Coquina with a Broker that specializes in wooden and Classic yachts. I figure the commission is worth his knowledge of and contacts in the market.

Dave Hadfield
04-13-2015, 07:09 PM
I tried to sell my last boat, a plastic Macgregor 26S, privately for about a year. All I got were tire kickers and low-ballers. So, eventually I listed with the fellow I had bought Drake from.

It sold, at full price, as I drove home.

Sure I paid the commission, but I was ahead many thousands. And the whole process was much more simple.

Yes, you pay for the firm's connections.

Dave

goodbasil
09-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Shoot an email to Carl.

I did about mentioning stuff in other msgs.
Said it wss okay.