LDeckard
03-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Need a resource for Pitch Pine.

LDeckard
03-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Need a resource for Pitch Pine.

Art Read
03-20-2001, 11:04 AM
It's out there, but you aren't going to find it at the local lumberyard, that's for sure... At least not any suitable for boat building. The only "stashes" I've heard about were either folks who lucked into being at the right place and time when one of the few remaining old growth trees was coming down in somebody's back yard or some such and got their hands on it before somebody else turned it into firewood, or else they recycled some from old construction being demolished. You might try the phoneboook or wood magazine classifieds for "Building Material - Recyclers". If you find any, buy all you can afford!

Art Read
It's out there, but you aren't going to find it at the local lumberyard, that's for sure... At least not any suitable for boat building. The only "stashes" I've heard about were either folks who lucked into being at the right place and time when one of the few remaining old growth trees was coming down in somebody's back yard or some such and got their hands on it before somebody else turned it into firewood, or else they recycled some from old construction being demolished. You might try the phoneboook or wood magazine classifieds for "Building Material - Recyclers". If you find any, buy all you can afford!

Art Read

gashmore
03-20-2001, 02:30 PM
One source is old factories. See if you can find one being demolished and buy a beam or a column.

There is also a guy down in South Georgia pulling up logs out of the Flint river bottom that sank during a turn of the century logging operation. Beautiful stuff but you would come out cheaper with teak. If you are interested, I will try to dig out his name.

gashmore
One source is old factories. See if you can find one being demolished and buy a beam or a column.

There is also a guy down in South Georgia pulling up logs out of the Flint river bottom that sank during a turn of the century logging operation. Beautiful stuff but you would come out cheaper with teak. If you are interested, I will try to dig out his name.

gashmore

Allen Foote
03-21-2001, 10:36 AM
Do you mean "long leaf yellow pine" There was an article in Wooden Boat about lumber recyclering from old factories ect. They published a number of addresses ect. It was 3 years ago...I think. ! was from Taraboro NC. Search the magazine archive.

Allen Foote
Do you mean "long leaf yellow pine" There was an article in Wooden Boat about lumber recyclering from old factories ect. They published a number of addresses ect. It was 3 years ago...I think. ! was from Taraboro NC. Search the magazine archive.

Allen Foote

ROWE BOATS
03-21-2001, 06:40 PM
George Goodwin at Goodwin lumber in Micanopy Florida supplies long leaf yellow pine. It is old growth that was sunk in the river. I believe he advertises in Fine Homebuilding,

ROWE BOATS
George Goodwin at Goodwin lumber in Micanopy Florida supplies long leaf yellow pine. It is old growth that was sunk in the river. I believe he advertises in Fine Homebuilding,

ROWE BOATS