X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

I guess I'll be bustin up some of this wood I got around here

high in the 30's and low in the teens for the next few days
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.
  • coelacanth2
    • Apr 2006

Re: I guess I'll be bustin up some of this wood I got around here

My woodsplitter has been out of action for a bit. It's 17 soon to be 18 years old.

But we've got this weekend mostly open - although its shotgun deer season starting this Friday and ending next Saturday. After the morning hunt, he and I need to bust up some of the stuff that's lying around near the wood rack
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

Comment

• Glen Longino
      • Jun 2008

I have split and stacked four(4) cords of dry oak on the back porch!
      Ever heard of the "grasshopper and the ant"?
      Shortsighted folks wait until freezing weather to collect firewood...tsk, tsk!
      Last edited by Glen Longino; 11-10-2014, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• coelacanth2
        • Apr 2006

Nah, it's bucked to length Glen and has been sitting for a couple of years. . Hate splitting wood in the summer. Skeeters, sweat running into your eyes, ticks dropping out of the trees and digging in ...

This will likely be next years. Along with some standing dead stuff and a couple of leaners. I hates me a widowmaker, yesss I hates it I doessss
        Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

Comment

• Rich Jones
          What boat to build next?
          • Apr 2009

Thirteen cords stacked and ready. Used about a face cord already.
          I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
          Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Michael D. Storey
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Glen Longino
            I live in an odd sort of place, in some respects.
            About 5 miles from the house is a county dump, aka reclaimation center. Peeps bring any manner of thing there. I have not bought a mower in 20 years; I simply find a nice looking one in the scrap metal pile. If it starts on the first pull, I take it home.
            What I consider really odd is the wood pile. People will cut down a tree, cut it into 20-inch logs, and take it to the dump.
            I heat with wood, now for 20 winters in a row, and I have yet to split a piece.
            I do consider that odd.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
              Ancient Mariner
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Michael D. Storey
              I live in an odd sort of place, in some respects.
              About 5 miles from the house is a county dump, aka reclaimation center. Peeps bring any manner of thing there. I have not bought a mower in 20 years; I simply find a nice looking one in the scrap metal pile. If it starts on the first pull, I take it home.
              What I consider really odd is the wood pile. People will cut down a tree, cut it into 20-inch logs, and take it to the dump.
              I heat with wood, now for 20 winters in a row, and I have yet to split a piece.
              I do consider that odd.
              The residents here are not allowed to "dump pick"! Don't know why!

Comment

• Tom@NC
                • Jul 2010

Civil litigation.

Tom

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by S.V. Airlie
                  The residents here are not allowed to "dump pick"! Don't know why!
                  the lawyers are afraid someone will step on a nail
                  The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Glen Longino
                    What is the size of your 'cord'?

A full cord is a large amount of wood.

It measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a volume of 128
                    cubic feet.

The amount of solid wood in a cord varies depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about 85
                    cubic feet.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
                      What is the size of your 'cord'?
                      I've known that for a long time but around here wood is sold by the 'rick' which is only 2 dimensional... 4' high and 8' long

Comment

• Bobby of Tulsa
                        • Jul 2000

Do any of you wood choppers remember the thread about do you get more wood in a cord split or unsplit? What sez ya?
                        "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                          Liberaltarian
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                          I've known that for a long time but around here wood is sold by the 'rick' which is only 2 dimensional... 4' high and 8' long
                          I think that's the definition of a 'face cord', is it not? 4 ft high by 8 ft long, and log-length deep (18").

Maybe 30 years ago, I'd buy a cord of wood each fall, already split, but I'd split it down to smaller pieces for convenience... all for the fireplace.

Truthfully, though, our fireplace is a 'builder's fireplace', namely, constructed for appearance, not efficiency, and it throws little heat, compared to what goes up the flue. We used to light it frequently, for just the ambiance. The house heating system is forced air by oil, which works well, and is convenient, especially since no one is home during the day to tend to a stove or fireplace.

We still occasionally light a fire, just for the ambiance... but not often... and I buy my wood as supermarket bundles. Two bundles is enough for an evening.

Yeah, I know, it offends the sensibilities of those who burn wood as their primary heat source.... but I'm an engineer living in the suburbs, not a backwoods guy. (Anyhow, I live in a pine forest, behind a farm, and adjacent to conservation land, so I get the outside ambiance of rural America.... as long as I don't drive farther than a mile or so )
                          "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Michael D. Storey
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Bobby of Tulsa
                            Do any of you wood choppers remember the thread about do you get more wood in a cord split or unsplit? What sez ya?
                            Stacking neatly is a time slaughterer on the scale of dusting out key holes.

Comment

• Bobby of Tulsa
                              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Michael D. Storey
                              Stacking neatly is a time slaughterer on the scale of dusting out key holes.
                              I think the thread was more about getting what you pay for. Forgot to say, it was almost good as politics.
                              "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Comment

Working...