PDA

View Full Version : EU future and Britain

Syed
11-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Britain seem to be in EU reluctantly. Will/should they exit?

Peerie Maa
11-07-2014, 01:31 PM
The Little Englanders of the NIMBY Tory grass roots don't want to be in the EU. However I believe that the business community do realise the importance of the EU market to our economy. No we should not leave.

slug
11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
The British will come to their senses and Europe will reform enough to meet British demands.

honest.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Britain seem to be in EU reluctantly. Will/should they exit?

56% of Brits want in - a very noisy 36% want out - almost all significant business would be horrified at the thought of leaving the EU.

But, it is entirely possible that Britain, lead by the divided Tories fear of the xenophobe nutter brigade will sleepwalk all the way to the exit....

It doesn't have to be rational

Syed
11-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you for your response gents.

AndyG
11-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Rather bizzarely, one of the (many) if-you-vote-yes-in-the-referendum threats was "Scotland would not automatically be a member of the EU". And here we are a couple of months later with the possibility of being wrenched out of it by the Ukip fascists, the Murdoch medja, and their Tory chums.

What a strange world.

Myself? The EU's a good thing. If we weren't in it, there'd be no reason for Nissan et al to hang around. London as a money centre if not an EU member? No chance. Curbs and controls on the UK govt is a Good Thing.

Andy

John Meachen
11-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I hope it will keep a few political egos in check if we remind them from time to time that while we remain in the EU,they are not much more than members of a glorified county council.I remember only too well the difficulties of moving goods or people around a region with umpteen currencies and sets of passport controls.

slug
11-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I hope that British pressure from inside the EU will force the Europeans to cut waste , clean up corruption , deflate the welfare state and become more competitive.

Peerie Maa
11-09-2014, 06:34 AM
I hope that British pressure from inside the EU will force the Europeans to cut waste , clean up corruption , deflate the welfare state and become more competitive.

Is the welfare state in the mainland EU inflated? As the problem with "illegal immigrants" at Calais is due to England having a "more generous" welfare state than the rest of Europe I would appreciate your take on it. What changes do you think are needed?