PDA

View Full Version : I知 proud to be gay - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

John of Phoenix
10-30-2014, 12:35 PM
“While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now,” adding pointedly and poignantly, “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”

Story here (http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/tim-cook-end-gay-rights-wedge-issue?int-cid=mod-latest).

Cook came out today and it's been pretty much all the financial press has covered so far today.

Any anti-gay Apple fans plan on switching?

Any predictions on if it will have any impact on anything in particular?

The New Yorker predicts this will be pivotal in ending gayness as a political wedge issue. I'm thinking that's pretty optimistic.

Lew Barrett
10-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes, all over the news. Good for him. And, I agree with you. Nobody will be convinced to change their attitude on the strength of this alone, but he did what he needed to do and more power to him. I'm waiting for the family values politicians to show the same courage.

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I still won't buy an apple product (I just prefer pc and android) but good for him. I doubt that it will harm Apple at all. It will add a strong voice for acceptance but I agree that the New Yorker opinion may be a little optimistic.

Gene

ron ll
10-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Well son of a gun. Yet my iPhone still seems to work the same as it did yesterday for some reason.

John of Phoenix
10-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Well son of a gun. Yet my iPhone still seems to work the same as it did yesterday for some reason.Siri's voice didn't change or anything? :D

genglandoh
10-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I really do not care.

One of the thinks I liked about our Church was the willingness to accept everyone.
Our music director was gay.
He worked with the kids got them interested in music and put on a great Christmas pageant each year.
I never heard anyone say anything negative about him being gay.

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I really do not care.

One of the thinks I liked about our Church was the willingness to accept everyone.
Our music director was gay.
He worked with the kids got them interested in music and put on a great Christmas pageant each year.
I never heard anyone say anything negative about him being gay.

Very cool.

Gene

genglandoh
10-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Very cool.

Gene

Our Church also lets a local Jewish group use the church for their services.
It is a Presbyterian church so the entire membership had to vote on the issue.

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 01:22 PM

We definitely need more of that.

Gene

genglandoh
10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
We definitely need more of that.

Gene

I think when you live in small towns where everyone knows everyone it makes for more tolerance.
In the case of the Jewish group my neighbor of 27 years was one.
And everyone likes Dave.

Gerarddm
10-30-2014, 01:32 PM
RonW is having a cow right about now, LOL.

Donn
10-30-2014, 01:47 PM

I predict many anti-Apple gay people will switch to.....

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 01:49 PM
I look forward to the day when nobody is especially proud of their sexual orientation. I think we could start now, but whatever.

"One of the greatest gifts God has given me"? Bizarre.

If you believe that all things come from god then it makes perfect sense that it is a gift from god.

Gene

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 01:52 PM
RonW is having a cow right about now, LOL.

Good.
Edit: I hope he owns an iPhone. :d

I predict many anti-Apple gay people will switch to.....

"Many" will be so small a number as to be completely unnoticeable in it's effect on Apple's bottom line. He may have just "come out" but he hasn't kept it a secret.

Gene

Lew Barrett
10-30-2014, 01:56 PM
The power of the Apple is greater than the power of the Adam's Apple.

Nanoose
10-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Not really news.

Lew Barrett
10-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I look forward to the day when nobody is especially proud of their sexual orientation. I think we could start now, but whatever.

"One of the greatest gifts God has given me"? Bizarre.

I had a similar thought, (and it is old news), but the business world is a bastion of opprobrium when it comes to stuff like this. Even though he is privileged beyond any measure we could imagine, it was still an act in good faith.

Mike Erkkinen
10-30-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't care one way or the other about Tim's gayness, but am thinking of switching phones. I'm impressed by the screen resolution, camera, open source apps, etc. of the samsung. Any experiences? I'm having trouble seeing my iphone 5 as my eyes age. Sorry about the thread hijack, but gay things seems a bit played out.

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Give me a break. He's born free and privileged, white, powerful, filthy rich, in good health, yet he counts his sexual preference as one of his greatest gifts from God? I don't care what your belief system is, that's insulting to almost everyone else on the planet.

Why is it insulting to be glad of who and what you are and thanking god for it? If you don't like gays perhaps you should ask god to stop making them.

Gene

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't care one way or the other about Tim's gayness, but am thinking of switching phones. I'm impressed by the screen resolution, camera, open source apps, etc. of the samsung. Any experiences? I'm having trouble seeing my iphone 5 as my eyes age. Sorry about the thread hijack, but gay things seems a bit played out.

The new iPhone is supposed to have a bigger screen. I'm with you on the open source apps of android and love mine. Apple makes great stuff but I still prefer pc and android.

Gene

bamamick
10-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I thought everyone already knew that?

Mickey Lake

BrianW
10-30-2014, 04:52 PM
The greatest gift he received from God is an affection for d*ck?

Big deal. I like mine too, but it's not newsworthy.

Get back to work and design some more cool stuff.

Tom Montgomery
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
1. I am not surprised.
2. Who cares? (The enlightened reaction)
3. Many Americans care. (The fearful, bigoted reaction}
4. Tim Cook is courageous.
5. I have a story to tell..... hang on.

John Smith
10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
I think we redefine the word 'proud' when we are proud of an accident of birth. If one is proud to be tall, it seems to imply short people should be ashamed. If one is proud to have been born in a certain country, should those born elsewhere be ashamed?

We should be proud of something we do, not of where or to whom we were born.

Bubba L.
10-30-2014, 08:13 PM
1500 posts and a total nube.

If you can't be bothered to figure out who you're talking to, maybe you should stuff it?

??

Gene

Lew Barrett
10-30-2014, 08:40 PM
It's always an item of some annoyance when, after a number of years of expressing consistent lines of thinking, somebody misinterprets one's general point of view and picks on a certain phrase, missing entirely one's thinking or philosophy. But it happens.

I get Lee's point. Cook has (by most common people's standards) considerably more to be grateful for than his sexual orientation, which by enlightened accounts is an accident of birth. If you were so fortunate as to be the recipient of the wealth and power of a company like Apple, would you think "thank God I'm gay" or "thank God I'm rich and influential?"

Tom Montgomery
10-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Here is the thing: Homosexuality continues to be hot button topic in the American political "culture wars."

The more Americans who come out, the more regressive "culture warriors" must accept reality or ignore it at their own risk.

People in positions of power like Tim Cook who publicly acknowledge their God-given sexual orientation encourage those who struggle in more challenging environments (see my post about a co-worker in another thread).

**** the 21st century know-nothings.

Rum_Pirate
10-31-2014, 03:45 AM

Here, Priests from Catholic churches often take part in funeral ceremonies in Anglican (protestant) churches and vice versa.

slug
10-31-2014, 04:48 AM
CEOs only think about market share and money. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/30/apple-ipad-market-share-satisfaction/

"Apple's Lead in Tablet Market Share Shrinks as Consumer Satisfaction Slips "

he is targeting the LGBT community to boost market share.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20140630/allstate-apple-among-companies-targeting-advertising-toward-lgbt-consumers

"Allstate, Apple among companies targeting advertising toward LGBT consumers"

Rum_Pirate
10-31-2014, 05:37 AM
“While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now,” adding pointedly and poignantly, “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”
Cook came out today and it's been pretty much all the financial press has covered so far today.

The New Yorker predicts this will be pivotal in ending gayness as a political wedge issue. I'm thinking that's pretty optimistic.

"I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."

?

Bubba L.
10-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Well, Gene, that may have been excessive, but Lew describes what I was annoyed at.

I ask that you fit what I say into the context of my thinking as revealed here over time. I will return the favor.

I went back and reread your post more carefully. Got it now. Sorry about that.

Gene