PDA

View Full Version : Stunning! Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Canada.

Paul Pless
10-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Photograph by Ben Leshchinsky

http://38.media.tumblr.com/4de7599a5ca076628bfd601869e0bcdc/tumblr_ne3yhxc8qj1svx5guo1_1280.jpg

Gerarddm
10-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Almost like a Mark Rothko.

Canoeyawl
10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Photograph by Ben Leshchinsky

http://38.media.tumblr.com/4de7599a5ca076628bfd601869e0bcdc/tumblr_ne3yhxc8qj1svx5guo1_1280.jpg

Reminds me of a glass of Absinthe on ice
(Louche effect)

BrianY
10-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Although I understand why the water is that color, I still find it hard to believe it's real.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Is that really two people in a canoe?

Todd D
10-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Lake Louise in Banff is a truly spectacular place, but Maligne Lake in Jasper is even more spectacular, particularly the southern end.

Paul Pless
10-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Is that really two people in a canoe?they must not be married

JayInOz
10-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like chemical runoff in a gravel pit? Sorry Paul- I tried rooly hard but I can't see the stunning bit:) JayInOz

Lew Barrett
10-29-2014, 06:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Moraine_Lake-Banff_NP.JPG

Lake Moraine, also in Banff.

bamamick
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
It's on my bucket list.

Mickey Lake

goodbasil
10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Often called the 8th wonder of the world.

Back in the 30's, when my father was there he was worried about over development. He'd roll over in his grave if he saw it now.

My father was a classical pianist, during the depression he walked into the lobby of the Chateau Lake Louise and there was a piano which he started to play, the manager was walking by and hired him on the spot.
They also liked him because he was the only one who would climb up on the roof to take down the flag. (In those days the took the flag down at night. They went by the book. It's still the rule but no one cares anymore.)
About 2 years ago I was supposed to put a flag up at work, at night, and I refused. They got quite irate, ( I was in one of my antimanagement, know it all moods, they argued, I said, " As Google is my witness, I'm telling the truth.) Someone else put it up in the morning.

Footnote: "A Canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe." Pierre Burton

Footnot:

JayInOz
10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Basil we were taught that failing to take down the flag at the end of the day was highly disrespectful. These days people seem to leave 'em up 'til they flog themselves to pieces and then put up a new one. Lew, that's a stunning picture! JayInOz

Old Dryfoot
10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Lake Louise in Banff is a truly spectacular place, but Maligne Lake in Jasper is even more spectacular, particularly the southern end.

+1.

CWSmith
10-29-2014, 07:41 PM
I've been to Banff and the lakes are even more spectacular than the photos show. You really need to go there sometime.

genglandoh
10-29-2014, 07:52 PM
The entire Rocky Mountain range is indeed beautiful.

I would recommend all to but it on their to do list.

Lew Barrett
10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
I've been to Banff and the lakes are even more spectacular than the photos show. You really need to go there sometime.

Lake Louise gets all the print, but the less famous lakes are probably more to the taste of this forum. Moraine Lake would not be considered "less famous" as it was represented on the Canadian 20 dollar bill for many years, although it is almost certainly less visited. No doubt things are very different than I remember them as I haven't been there in almost 30 years.

pumpkin
10-30-2014, 09:35 PM
That water is so cold. Our border collie made the mistake of jumping in Lake Louise on a hot summer day and I thought he had a heart attack. He was stiff after climbing out after only a few seconds. They used to rent canoes right on the lake, they still may.

The whole area west of Calgary to the British Columbia border and beyond to the coast in any direction is awe inspiring. From the Crowsnest pass to the Icefields Parkway is amazing. Takakkaw falls takes my breath away every time I visit. I lived in southern Alberta for thirty years and spent every spare moment, winter and summer exploring, skiing, canoeing and boating. BC is just about impossible to properly describe. I miss it and the people so much. Pure Magic.

Canoeyawl
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
The Flag Code states it is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness. The American Legion interprets “ proper illumination” as a light specifically placed to illuminate the flag (preferred) or having a light source sufficient to illuminate the flag so it is recognizable as such by the casual observer.

http://www.legion.org/flag/faq

The Bigfella
10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Moraine_Lake-Banff_NP.JPG

Lake Moraine, also in Banff.

Damn.... look at all that erosion, monoculture, log waste and over-development and, is that a retreating glacier due to climate change? Shocking place.

JimD
10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Morraine Lake and Lake Louise in Alberta are just around the corner from each other. I"ve been to both many times. Rivaling them both is the Lake O'Hara area just over the provincial border in BC, very close to Lake Louise

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/64/af/67/64af672825156fe426e80c628b30a6df.jpg

And Lake McArthur, an easy hike from O'Hara

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/49/86/59/4986591e1e7e73e49e4762ebe94cbcc7.jpg

Robbie 2
10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=pumpkin;4342109]That water is so cold. Our border collie made the mistake of jumping in Lake Louise on a hot summer day and I thought he had a heart attack. He was stiff after climbing out after only a few seconds. They used to rent canoes right on the lake, they still may.

I nearly had a Heart attack jumping into Lake Wanaka NZ in February last year.....Air Temperature 32C and water Temperature 8C though I didn't realise that until after I hit the water.

Lew Barrett
10-31-2014, 06:58 PM
There is a reason you were gifted with toes, Robbie. Presumably you now know it!BY:D

Robbie 2
11-02-2014, 01:35 AM
There is a reason you were gifted with toes, Robbie. Presumably you now know it!BY:D

In my defense I will say that there was about a dozen young people enjoying themselves jumping off a jetty and swimming back to a ladder to jump again.
Watched over by a couple of older Gents.
After asking & getting the OK I walked to the edge of the jetty and jumped in too.
As I clambered onto the jetty to thraw out one of the Gents said"It' a bit cold isn't it"?
He went on to say that he was local and the lake water only changed 3-4 degrees C between Winter and Summer due to the Snow melt entering the lake and it's depth.....Approx 800 feet at it's deepest. NO shallow area for the sun to warm it up.
Great fishing though................Rainbow and Brown Trout and Landlocked Atlantic Salmon. I saw one boat come in with 3 Salmon on board that were huge......at least a Meter long and probably 10-12 Kilos.

Ralphie Boy
11-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I will never forget the Canadian Lakes Gog, Og and Magog. Spectacular!