PDA

View Full Version : Use of Liquid Nails in Boat Building

Terry Etapa
01-30-2003, 12:14 PM
When I had my cabin built, the shipwright used 5200 as a glue (except between layers of plywood). I seem to recall reading somewhere, I think it might have been in one of Buehler's books, that exterior liquid nails can be used as a glue. Any thought's on this?

brad9798
01-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Here's a thread that may help: liguid nail (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002427)

I have used it for some cabin and topside application with no problem, after three seasons. I can only speak from my experience, though.

Brad

John Blazy
01-30-2003, 01:05 PM
I never use liquid nails cuz its solvent based and it skins over so fast that it doesn't penetrate into the wood like 5200 or better yet PL Premium (both polyurethanes). Unless Liquid nails changed their formula, I wouldn't use it at all on a boat. The bead of glue may last for exterior, but the glue bond will be weak, and the biggest drawback to solvent-based glues is the shrinkage upon cure, whereas the polyurethanes expand upon cure, using moisture from the wood and air to initiate cure, thus filling gaps, and eliminating adhesion failure common to solvent based glues from the shear forces of shrinkage.

Tar Devil
01-30-2003, 02:22 PM
I previously used liquid nails making some balsa fishing lures, and the glue eventually failed in every lure.

Later,

Phil

Terry Etapa
01-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

I did a search on "liquid nails", and didn't find the thread listed above. Is the search engine having problems?

WFK
01-30-2003, 07:48 PM
and if the above isn't enough,...... over time it turns brittle.

LAGOS
01-30-2003, 08:39 PM
5200 is the devil

Bruce Hooke
01-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Terry Etapa:
Thanks for the info.

I did a search on "liquid nails", and didn't find the thread listed above. Is the search engine having problems?I just checked the thread in question and the only references are to "Liquid Nail" (singular) -- so that is why the search engine didn't find it. These computers are SO picky! :D

Dutch Rub
01-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Personally I dont know why any one would go to all the trouble of building a boat out of cheap materials that may or may not last. Im a bit new to boat building, but I do believe Id use the best I could afford.

Armedmariner
02-04-2003, 08:52 PM
I use exterior premium underlayment glue PL type. I use it for assembly but I ALWAYS go back and tab with biax cloth and epoxy. The PL sets up quick enough and it is cheaper than 5200.

You can get quicker setting 5200 by the way but it is the same expensive price.

I agree with another reader here, 5200 is AWESOME stuff, tough and pliable and it is rated for use underwater, salt water. SikaFlex is a similar formulation.

Terry Etapa
02-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I took the forum's advice and went with PL Premium.

I was making a more robust section out of my shelf and clamp (see below). On the starboard side, a bit of deck remains. On the port, it's been cut away. I had to trim it out for interior plywood. So, I thought I'd make my filler blocks structural. I didn't think screws alone would transfer the transverse shear in the new stack up.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tetapa/Images/Drawing_Section.jpg

john welsford
02-05-2003, 11:00 PM
I was looking at the stuff on my shelf a couple of years ago, had about four tubes left over from a house job. Some testing of ply joints on my glue test rig suggested that it was ok, and so I built a little plywood skiff to see how it went. Two seasons later, it still lives on the lakefront in front of a freinds house, gets full of water regularly, I go and empty it now and again and it gets used for trout fishing now and again. It was CCA treated pine, stuff that the folklore suggests cannot be successfully glues, and is painted with plastic housepaint, its as good today as it was the day it was launched, be interesting to check in a couple of years more.
JOhnW