X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbgarr
    43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
    • Apr 1999

NY/NJ Ebola quarantines

I don't know the details yet but were I someone returning from West Africa after helping suppress the spread of the ebola virus I certainly would avoid entering the US through NY or NJ. Wouldn't you? The prospect of being unable to work for three weeks, see my family, etc. regardless of what my health may be? It would be like emigrating through Ellis Island all over again.
    For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.
  • Horace
    • Feb 2007

Re: NY/NJ Ebola quarantines

Originally posted by rbgarr
    I don't know the details yet but were I someone returning from West Africa after helping suppress the spread of the ebola virus I certainly would avoid entering the US through NY or NJ. Wouldn't you? The prospect of being unable to work for three weeks, see my family, etc. regardless of what my health may be? It would be like emigrating through Ellis Island all over again.
    Got a link to whatever prompted this musing?

Comment

• rbgarr
      43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
      • Apr 1999

It may work for NY and NJ at airports only, I'd suggest, but my point is that automatic quarantine will prompt some people to come back here through entry points elsewhere and not report where they've been or who they've been in contact with. Automatic quarantine everywhere is unenforceable in practice and contributes to the spread of any infection in worse ways.
      For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• Paul Girouard
        Banned
        • May 2005

A Doctor or other health care profession should factor that into the trip.

So you'd dodge the quarantine and put spreading the disease you just spent time attempting to contain at risk?

Comment

• rbgarr
          43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
          • Apr 1999

If I were a health professional (I'm not) and my assessment was that I'd not been in direct contact with body fluids of infected patients I might well choose to self-monitor rather than be quarantined against my will. Others would submit to it, but there's no guarantee everyone would. So how is it enforceable?

It looks like the reduction in volunteers and doctors choosing to help could well drop dramatically, at least from the US. News report here. Don't know how accurate it is: http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opi...la_quarantines

Flu kills many, many people each year. Do (or will) we force people to take flu shots now?
          Last edited by rbgarr; 10-25-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Gerarddm
            #RESIST
            • Feb 2010

Their passport stamps show where they have been, jeesh.

Maybe what we are going to need again are quarantine islands.
            Gerard>
            Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Paul Girouard
              Banned
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Gerarddm

Where's your faith in Pres. O, he said not to worry, his regime would take care of it. No big deal, right? You might need a short vacation to one of the reducation camps!

Comment

• PeterSibley
                • Dec 2001

Were I coming from a ebola infected area I would welcome a way of protecting my family and community, if there wasn't a quarantine facility set up I'd go camping by myself for 3 weeks.
                '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                Grateful Dead

Comment

• skuthorp
                  • Jan 2002

There are other more pertinent, more local, and so far more fatal risks ……...

Comment

• rbgarr
                    43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
                    • Apr 1999

Originally posted by Gerarddm

So ANYONE who's been in one of the West African nations goes into quarantine? This is sounding more and more gestapo-ish.

Comment

• ccmanuals
                      Son of a Guineaman
                      • Dec 2001

The only way to stop the spread of this virus is at the source, Africa. Anything else is a temporary band aid.
                      Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                        • Apr 1999

This quarentine is a totally bull PR move. Especially health care professionals will keep close tabs and take themselves into quarentine in a timely matter. It's all about the liar reporting that had that doc at 103 fever instead of the actual 100.3. Doh! The only thing this quarentine does is make it harder for medical people to take time off to go over, do some of god's work, and come home to their day jobs. That in turn will make the continuing plague of ebla in Africa last longer, spread more deeply, and become a greater continental threat.

I am not surprised that Christie would pander in this way. More than a bit disappointed that Cuomo did.

Comment

• Horace
                          • Feb 2007

I presume you have looked up the CDC's authority (which is Constitutional) for quarantine, but in case you haven't, here is the Link.

I don't know the details yet but were I someone returning from West Africa after helping suppress the spread of the ebola virus I certainly would avoid entering the US through NY or NJ. Wouldn't you? The prospect of being unable to work for three weeks, see my family, etc. regardless of what my health may be?
                          Would you rather take a chance of exposing them and everyone else to Ebola?

It may work for NY and NJ at airports only, I'd suggest, but my point is that automatic quarantine will prompt some people to come back here through entry points elsewhere and not report where they've been or who they've been in contact with. Automatic quarantine everywhere is unenforceable in practice and contributes to the spread of any infection in worse ways.
                          Where is your information supporting that statement, or is it mere opinion?

If I were a health professional (I'm not) and my assessment was that I'd not been in direct contact with body fluids of infected patients I might well choose to self-monitor rather than be quarantined against my will. Others would submit to it, but there's no guarantee everyone would. So how is it enforceable?
                          So you're self-identifying as an antisocial person who would set his own convenience above the safety of society? Great!

Flu kills many, many people each year. Do (or will) we force people to take flu shots now?
                          Flu is many orders of magnitude a less severe disease--and is already endemic worldwide. Would you be comfortable with a worldwide presence of Ebola?

So ANYONE who's been in one of the West African nations goes into quarantine? This is sounding more and more gestapo-ish.
                          But Constitutional and sound practice, considering the alternative. Do you wish to live in a country where, for instance, "we have an economic crisis, oh, and an Ebola outbreak, too;" or "we have a flu epidemic, oh, and an Ebola outbreak, too;" or "we're fighting a natural disaster, oh, and an Ebola outbreak, too;" or "we're fighting a war...."

Get the idea? Still want to leave it up to individual initiative?

Just to get your juices flowing: apparently the Kenyan is comfortable with the minimal approach. I'm not.

ETA:
                          Originally posted by ccmanuals
                          The only way to stop the spread of this virus is at the source, Africa. Anything else is a temporary band aid.
                          A travel quarantine is part of stopping the virus from spreading. Some African nations have already established closed borders with the affected area, and have limited the spread of the disease. Do you agree with a quarantine?

Comment

• Durnik
                            Out 'n About
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Horace
                            Originally Posted by rbgarr

So you're self-identifying as an antisocial person who would set his own convenience above the safety of society? Great!

Get the idea? Still want to leave it up to individual initiative?

Just to get your juices flowing: apparently the Kenyan is comfortable with the minimal approach. I'm not.

ETA:
                            Originally Posted by ccmanuals

A travel quarantine is part of stopping the virus from spreading. Some African nations have already established closed borders with the affected area, and have limited the spread of the disease.
                            Do you agree with a quarantine?
                            What's this? A "Live Free or Die" Libertarian clamoring for Government intervention?!?!? Well, who didn't see _that_ coming?! ;-)

Ah, yes - this intervention is to harm/burden individuals Horace disagrees or finds fault with. That makes it A-Ok - as long as the gubmint doesn't _help_ individuals. That's a big No-No in Me-Me land.

& what's with the 'Kenyan' thing? AFAIK, Kenya isn't having an Ebola problem - & in case you are attempting a (typical libertarian) slur, our President is American, born in Hawaii - & might, just might, understand freedom & its requirements better than the typical Libertarian, eh? ;-)

enjoy
                            bobby

Comment

• Horace
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
                              This quarentine is a totally bull PR move. Especially health care professionals will keep close tabs and take themselves into quarentine in a timely matter. It's all about the liar reporting that had that doc at 103 fever instead of the actual 100.3. Doh! The only thing this quarentine does is make it harder for medical people to take time off to go over, do some of god's work, and come home to their day jobs. That in turn will make the continuing plague of ebla in Africa last longer, spread more deeply, and become a greater continental threat.
                              Here's a snippet from CNN:

"He arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport on October 17, but he exhibited no symptoms of the virus until Thursday morning, said Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, New York City's health commissioner.

The physician, who works at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, was checking his temperature twice a day. He has not seen any patients since his return.

The 33-year-old did not have any symptoms just after his return, but he developed a fever, nausea, pain and fatigue Thursday morning, authorities said. He began feeling sluggish a couple of days ago, but his fever spiked to 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit (about 38 Celsius) the day his symptoms appeared."

It strikes me as significant that the doctor's temperature spiked to "only" 100.3 degrees the day his symptoms appeared: the official CDC screening guideline is 101.5 degrees. (Link.)

Apparently the resources used by the medical profession to assess this disease need some refinement.

Comment

Working...